Pros and cons of 1.4x and 2x extender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros and cons of 1.4x and 2x extender.

I am considering an extender, and I wanted to know the pros and cons of a 1.4x versus the 2.0. Any and all comments are welcomed and encouraged. Right now I have a 70mm-200mm 4.5 L glass and am anticipating getting a 200mm-400mm L glass lense in the next couple of weeks. Which one would be the best extender to use on both lenses?

Don't monkey with the 2.0. It requires too much light and your images will suffer. The 1.4 is nice to have but it will rob you of some light. I have a Kenko 1.4. I understand the Kenko to be as good as the Canon at a significantly lower price. I took this shot with the 1.4 on a 400mm f5.6 lens. It did a fine job.

This is the Kenko I use:

Comment

Kenko at 1.5 works well for canon. Seriously cuts down on light and focusing speed and accuracy. But! It takes a learning curve to know when the conditions are right. Good results are to be had.
      I wouldn't want a 2x.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking along those lines. I know the extender is a light robber, and Iwas wanting some opinions from the brain trust. Ya'lls info confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm going to go against the tide on this one and say that a 2X converter produces sharp images. I have a both a 2X and a 1.4X and both produce sharp results.

The problem that you run into when you use a 2X is that on my 40D (along with the lower D models - except I am not sure about the 50D) you lose autofocus beyond f5.6. In other words, an f4 lens + a 2X converter makes the lens an effective f8. In that case, the autofocus is disabled.

This image was taken with a 2X attached...

That's pretty dang sharp...

Comment

Is that a swift fox, Russell?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Is that a swift fox, Russell?
              It is...

Do you remember the time I proclaimed us 1%ers?

The time I shot this image it was a 1%er time..

-RG

Comment

That's for sure. Rare little suckers. Where/when was that?

The only place I've ever seen a swift was at several basketball tournaments. (Nazereth Swifts)

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  That's for sure. Rare little suckers. Where/when was that?

The only place I've ever seen a swift was at several basketball tournaments. (Nazereth Swifts)
                  I took these in July of 2007 near Dalhart. For a species that was though extinct in Texas until 1998, I saw seven in this one day.

Comment

Thanks Russell, that is something to think about. That is a sharp image.

Comment

my 2X has served me well

made my 200 a 400 for this shot

Comment

I was debating the 1.4x or the 2.0x but I bought the F/2.8 so it brings in alot of light so I am 400mm at F/5.6... with my 2.0x.

Comment

Working...
                        X