Predator hunting SE New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend and I are headed out to call some dogs tomorrow. First time hunting in this area. We’ll be hunting blm land west of Jal. Anyone got any tips or pointers they’d like to share? Never hunted NM before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to make a trip out of state to predator hunt public land! In for responses.

Comment

Drove thru there once, I thought West Texas was desolate! I wouldn't be surprised that any coyotes and lizards that survived sunstroke hadn't starved to death already. got friends in Jal that claim they are overrun with coyotes though. That's all I got.

Comment

Daylight stands only. Night hunting is a big no no unless things have changed

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
          Daylight stands only. Night hunting is a big no no unless things have changed

You are correct sir. No artificial light shall be used in New Mexico is the way it’s written.

Comment

If you kill coyotes you have to leave them lay unless you have a license. You need to purchase a habitat stamp to hunt public lands in NM. Need trappers license for furbearers. Mountain lion and bear are covered under big game.
            Lots of coyotes, Fox in the sand hills. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              If you kill coyotes you have to leave them lay unless you have a license. You need to purchase a habitat stamp to hunt public lands in NM. Need trappers license for furbearers. Mountain lion and bear are covered under big game.
              Lots of coyotes, Fox in the sand hills. Good luck.

We bought a small game license and a habitat stamp. Does the small game license cover bobcats? I never found where it said.

Comment

Head out near battle axe road and hit the big sandy flats north and west of there. If you take the road west along the state line there are some very good spots. Tons of dogs. Get away from the heavy oilfield traffic. There's some patches of private land so make sure you have your maps pulled up and watch them carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                  We bought a small game license and a habitat stamp. Does the small game license cover bobcats? I never found where it said.

Bobcat are considered a protected furbearer here. They have a season (when the furs should be prime). I have to carry a 20.00 trappers license to take furbearers. Plus you have to cites tag each hide you take.

Last edited by ladrones; 11-19-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. We get off work in a couple hrs and as soon as we do it’s game on

Comment

Finally got one to come to the call.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Look at those quail tracks

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                            Look at those quail tracks

I wondered what kinda bird that was. I thought it was to big for quail. Figured road runner was more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                              I wondered what kinda bird that was. I thought it was to big for quail. Figured road runner was more likely.
                              Roadrunner tracks look kinda like an X or closer to 2 K's facing away from each other

Comment

Working...
                              X