Pop Up in ETX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop Up in ETX

Has anyone killed mature bucks out of pop ups in ETX? The ladder stands are getting more and more uncomfortable and I would like to be able to take my kids hunting. I know up high you are above their nose and sight but just want to know if anyone has killed mature bucks in low fence situations. Thanks for any advice.

Not in a true pop-up, but we made some ground blinds out of cattle panels and ground cloth. Work pretty well, and there is LOTS of vegetation to cover them with.
    To me that is the most important is to make it look like a brush pile. given enough time they will be okay with anything, but pop-ups do not weather well, so we opted for the more solid structure.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
      Has anyone killed mature bucks out of pop ups in ETX? The ladder stands are getting more and more uncomfortable and I would like to be able to take my kids hunting. I know up high you are above their nose and sight but just want to know if anyone has killed mature bucks in low fence situations. Thanks for any advice.
      Yeah, Rusk CO. A few people I know have. Just brush it in really good top to bottom and early.

Comment

Originally posted by FF36 View Post
        Yeah, Rusk CO. A few people I know have. Just brush it in really good top to bottom and early.
        Thanks. With a bow?

Comment

I killed my biggest from a pop up, but I guarantee it didn't look like a pop up to a deer. It was under a low hanging hackberry limb and brushed in with cedar limbs about a month before I hunted. The only downside I see to them is lack of a good view. Deer are on you before you see them if you hunt it properly, which is to say, with very few openings.

Comment

Many. Hoping to add another tomorrow

Comment

Yes. I've killed several. Brush them in good and only open one window to shoot from

Comment

This is the one I'm hunting out of in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

GarGuy talked me into them a few years ago after all the success he's has out of them. I've killed and passed several mature bucks out of them in Angelina, Houston, and Trinity Co.

I used to brush them to the max and when I say to the max I mean WAY more so than even most people that claim to brush them in. I found that to be counter productive. I got busted more in the super brushed blinds. I started putting them in cover that was already there. A stand of small sweetgums or youpons, blown down trees or root balls are my favorite. The theory is they're going to notice whatever you do. If you do it inside something that's already there they'll pay less attention to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    GarGuy talked me into them a few years ago after all the success he's has out of them. I've killed and passed several mature bucks out of them in Angelina, Houston, and Trinity Co.

I used to brush them to the max and when I say to the max I mean WAY more so than even most people that claim to brush them in. I found that to be counter productive. I got busted more in the super brushed blinds. I started putting them in cover that was already there. A stand of small sweetgums or youpons, blown down trees or root balls are my favorite. The theory is they're going to notice whatever you do. If you do it inside something that's already there they'll pay less attention to it.

X2, I agree with Steve!

Comment

I've passed on mature bucks from popups and also just camo netting. I take my 5 and 6 yr old with me and as long as they have a shield to sit behind I'm good. Jooger couldn't have said it any better. Place inside something that is existing and they will pay little to no attention to it.

Here is a camo netting setup from this week. Very simple and believe it or not we have excellent success doing this. Many deer 10-15 yds away at times. We just sit on the ground and peek through the holes. Ready for a shot I kneel up and take care of business!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                        I've passed on mature bucks from popups and also just camo netting. I take my 5 and 6 yr old with me and as long as they have a shield to sit behind I'm good. Jooger couldn't have said it any better. Place inside something that is existing and they will pay little to no attention to it.

Here is a camo netting setup from this week. Very simple and believe it or not we have excellent success doing this. Many deer 10-15 yds away at times. We just sit on the ground and peek through the holes. Ready for a shot I kneel up and take care of business!
                        Thanks for sharing. That is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

This is the one I'm hunting out of in the morning

How do you keep the snakes out?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            How do you keep the snakes out?

I've never had an issue with snakes.

Comment

I've never had an issue with snakes.

Brother I am deathly afraid of snakes. I hunt in Harrison County in NETX and the copperheads and water moccasins are bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X