Tacoma owners.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tacoma owners.....

I’m looking at an ‘18 off road. What’s some pros and cons of the taco? I had a ‘91 and an ‘02 before, but they have changed quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a '15 TRD and my only 'real' gripes are slightly uncomfortable seats, particularly for long trips and the gas mileage isn't any better than a larger V-8 truck.

Comment

I have a '13 2wd and HATE it. Purchased in December of last year.
      The seats fit like a car and I can barely pull my Tracker boat up the local Austin ramps.
      I wished I had purchased a fullsize truck as there isn't much difference in gas mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
        I have a '13 2wd and HATE it. Purchased in December of last year.
        The seats fit like a car and I can barely pull my Tracker boat up the local Austin ramps.
        I wished I had purchased a fullsize truck as there isn't much difference in gas mileage.

I have my Cummins for any towing, not concerned about that.

Comment

I have a Texas Edition TSS 2013 4x4 Taco. 55k miles but I've pulled loads way over the trucks spec limits. I tow a dump trailer at the ranch every week hauling rocks and dirt (building roads) . Towed a 18' RV up a steep hill. It never failed me yet except when I tried pushing a 4k load backwards up a steep hill on loose rocky ground.. But I think that was more the laws of physics stopping me

Comment

I had a 2007 with 265,000 miles. Never had a mechanical issue. It towed and hauled everything I needed.

Comment

I have a 2012 with almost 100,000. Pros- Small, easy to park, easy to drive in traffic, durable
              Cons- Small, gas mileage not great, towing not the best (braking not so good)

I would go with a full size if I could do it over again.

Comment

I have an 05, and like a few others, the seats aren't the best, and mileage isn't any better than a big truck. They do really hold their value though. I don't have any trouble pulling an old bumper cattle trailer. Not sure what it weighs, but it's heavy alone, then put 2 big show steers in it.

Comment

05' here as well. I love the trucks for what they are. To me the perfect hunting trucks, they are easy to maneuver and not much bigger than a SxS. I do not tow much just a 16' boat and it does that just fine. I would probably go with a full size truck next time, but still keep a Tacoma as well.

Comment

I had an 06. It was a good truck, especially for crowded city streets. Towed a ranger ok, but didn't get great mileage, and would sag with any load before I put helper springs on. Mine had the 4.0 V6, which was bulletproof, but a bit under powered IMO. My opinion nowadays is that while they put a newer engine, a few gizmos, and the body has been tweaked, most of the truck dates to 2005. They aren't really intended to tow or haul much, get no better mpg than a half ton, and cost as much as a half ton because Toyota. All that said, if it fits your needs and you like it, buy one.

Comment

I have a 2017 TRD Off Road and LOVE it. The last one I had was an 88 and regretted selling it for the longest time.

Pros - It is much easier to drive down 4wheeler trails at the lease and has a much better turning radius. The inside seems is bigger than my older 88. Its a Taco, so it will run forever. A 4x4 Tacoma hold its resale better than any other vehicle on the road, even a jeep. It's lighter than a full size truck so it will have less of a chance to get stuck/sink down on you.

Cons - The bed is not really a bed (mine is a short bed) and doesn't hold too much. As stated above the gas mileage is not very good. After a lifted it and 33's I get around 14/15mpg (that's doing around 75-80 on the freeway). I went from a 2011 F-250 diesel so yes, its smaller.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I had a 16 off road and for just hunting purposes is a awesome truck. Off road machine. Like stated above fuel mileage and towing sucks.

Comment

I have a 2017 TRD OR double cab longbed. currently just over 7k miles and love it. I came from a 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB w/ 5.7L Hemi 4X4.

The new 3.5L is nothing like the 4.0L. It is definitely anemic in the power aspect. Not many options for tune ability either. Mainly just Orange Virus and Pedal commander.

The fuel economy is decent at 22 on the highway after about 5k miles. In town I am lucky to get 14 max.

I put a 3/1 lift and 285's on the factory wheels @ 1k miles so take the fuel economy readings with a grain of salt.

I love the truck other than that. My wife has an Expedition EL for the family and light towing jobs, but I can go anywhere with a loaded lowboy trailer, just not fast.(of course you have the luxury of your Cummins)

Word to the wise:
                          Do your research if you plan on lifting at all. I was told that lifting a 2018 at all will void the warranties because of the Dynamic Speed Control system.
                          Not sure if it is true, but that may make or break the deal.

Comment

I have a 16 off road double cab long bed.
                            pros. Rides great compared to my 08.( I have an Icon suspension lift, but rode great from the factory also.) Unbelievable off road.
                            Good mpg's I run 265/75/16's I get 21 on hwy. 18-19 in town.
                            more comfortable, and better creature features than the gen 2.
                            more refined than gen 2 in all ways.

Cons. Has power, but you have to mash on it to feel it. 6 speed trans is the biggest culprit. Gen 2 feels more peppy, but again gets better mpg's than the gen 2

Comment

I’m rolling a 2017 Trd Sport with manual transmission- just got an update on the ecu and this truck drives like a manual is supposed to in my mind. Coming from a tundra I have up a lot of space and engine power but this truck does everything I need it to. I get much better gas mileage- if I keep it around 65 I can get around 20 and in town 17 or better and we have a lot of hills.

I plan on adding a cbi aluminum t3 bumper and possibly bilstein 5100’s soon

My wife has a 2015 2nd gen and she loves her truck. We have both always wanted a Tacoma

Comment

Working...
                              X