Cheap blind options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap blind options

I jumped on a lease at the last minute this year, and didn't have time to build a blind. I messed around and couldn't get over to College Station, and lost out on a popup that 97JeepGuy had for sale...thanks for being patient and trying to make it work, Andrew hate that I didn't get to meet you.

So I'm looking at a couple of options on the cheap and want input from guys who have done something like them. Pros/cons, what you did that you would change, etc. This will be in a SMZ bottom amidst oaks, yaupons, and scrub pines with a few trails criss crossing through it next to a clear cut. It won't be ideal no matter which route I take, but I'll have to make it work

1st option: taking cattle panels and forming a single, number 6 figure type of "ring" with a small opening to get in it, weaving yaupons and pine limbs through the panels and getting it as full as I can, with a black cloth draped behind the seat to try to hide movement as much as possible. Clearing out 3-4 small shooting windows on a roughly 240* layout, with hand corn at 20-25 yard distances

2nd option: getting a roll of the camo burlap and creating 1 or 2 areas on the northwest and southeast side of the intersecting trails to hunt the wind the best that I can, and hoping that the burlap doesn't get too messed up by animals over the course of the season. I've never used it, not sure how it holds up to weather. I'll have a pallet with a 1/2" plywood skin on it to sit the chair on, and get me off of the ground, since it stays wet for a little while down in there when it rains.

Anyone who has done either of these, chime in with some advice the cattle panel route seems to make the most sense to me, for sturdiness as well as the ability to throw a piece of panel over the chair with scrap ply strapped to it and have a rain shield in case of a storm. Just trying to figure a somewhat easy solution that I can carry in by hand instead of disturbing the bottom with a vehicle/ATV this close to season. Heck, if anyone has a better idea, feel free to suggest it Thanks in advance

Pop up, brushed in. Quick fix to start the season.

Comment

Cheap blind options

The cheapest you can get is a machete, few pieces of rope and cutting brush.

Pop ups are the biggest POS’s I have ever dealt with if you leave them out in the elements for any period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Black Ice; 09-06-2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Take 4, 6 foot 2x6’s and make a square. Then take 2 cattle panels and stick them inside the square and secure the ends with steeples. (They will overlap a bit). Take a 3rd cattle panel and cut to fit one of the open ends. Leave the other end open for a door, but use a tarp or brush for a partial side covering. Cover with harbor freight tarps, cut out windows, add brush. Perfect hay bale style blind. Roomy enough for 3 grown men and a hair over 6 feet tall in the center so you can stand up. Old trampoline matting works great too.

Comment

Bow or gun set up?
          If gun, I have killed a many of deer just sitting on a log.
          If bow, get a lock on or a climber and get up in a tree. You can get a lock on set up these days pretty dang cheap.
          Ok, went back and re-read. If you are wanting a ground blind to bow hunt out of, then pallets can be picked up free and then wrap it with the camo burlap, which can be bought for around 15 bucks. Then throw a few limbs around it that will be higher than the top of the pallet.
          Last edited by sqiggy; 09-07-2018, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Cattle panel is a better option than burlap. I've built both. The cattle panel will last longer. Burlap has an odor to it. If you're setting it up last minute I wouldn't recommend it. It also doesn't hold up well in the weather. Option 3. Would be a cheap pop up. There are several under $100. That will be the quickest and easiest thing to do.

Comment

2 cattle panels and camo burlap to wrap them in then brush it up some, burlap by it self will last a couple years out in the weather.

Comment

I just set another one of these out. My last one lasted 3 years being left out in the elements the whole time. It’s a 3 person blind with a 90”x90” footprint. Plenty room. If I gotta pay $150 every 3 years, I’m ok with that. I like leaving it out so deer get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wal-mart has the Rogers 200 pop up for $88

Comment

Cattle panels and ty wraps frm HF...Position it in shade or come upwith a roof for shade.. or sun will give you away..

Comment

Cattle panel blind or bucees has pop ups now for $115

Comment

Pallets

Comment

[QUOTE=RobinHood;13603879]I just set another one of these out. My last one lasted 3 years being left out in the elements the whole time. It’s a 3 person blind with a 90”x90” footprint. Plenty room. If I gotta pay $150 every 3 years, I’m ok with that. I like leaving it out so deer get used to it.

Sportsmans guide has these for $125! great pop ups, had mine out for 2 years and only issue was a little fading.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                            1st option: taking cattle panels and forming a single, number 6 figure type of "ring" with a small opening to get in it, weaving yaupons and pine limbs through the panels and getting it as full as I can,
                            2nd option: getting a roll of the camo burlap
                            Another way of thinking about it. And I'm just assuming you are looking for something to get you thru this season.
                            Option #1. Cattle panels come in 16ft sections. You will have to cut them, as well as for all the brush you have to put around them. That's A LOT of work for just one huntin spot. And the last time I looked, they ain't real cheap.
                            Option #2. Camo burlap will last for this season. I have wrapped ladder stands with this stuff and killed hogs from it in the same day. The "odor" will fade pretty quick. It will be your "odor" that will get you busted. You can wrap that stuff around 3 or 4 FREE pallets and tie wire it all together, throw a few limbs here and there and be done. You can build 3 or 4 of these for the price you will pay for one option 1. And you did say "on the cheap".
                            Then, at the end of hunting season, catch some clearance sales on ground blinds and you'll be set for next year!!
                            But I still think you will be better off hunting out of a climber or lock on. Then when the deer change up their habits, you can make the moves to get on them so much easier!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X