Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

Default Financial advice.

I need help with a good growth vehicle for some money. I checked on a 3 year CD and the interest rate was 2.65%. what other choices do i have
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #2
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

CD, Certificate of Depression What kind of return do you want and what is your risk tolerance?
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Tagged
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
spliffnwesson
Eight Point

Bump for using the propper spelling of advice.

Sorry, I'm unable to advise on this situation. Best of luck.
spliffnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darton View Post
CD, Certificate of Depression What kind of return do you want and what is your risk tolerance?
^^^ & timeframe....

vegas-put it on red
or
mutual funds
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
I need help with a good growth vehicle for some money. I checked on a 3 year CD and the interest rate was 2.65%. what other choices do i have
You can get better than that in a 36 month CD
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Buy guns and wait for the next Democrat president to be elected.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by spliffnwesson View Post
Bump for using the propper spelling of advice.

Sorry, I'm unable to advise on this situation. Best of luck.
Ironic I suppose considering the errors in this post
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 AM   #9
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

No idea the amount you want to invest but with only a 2.65% return isnít much. If you have any debt, Iíd venture to guess the rate is higher than 2.65%. Pay off any CCs, car notes and mortgage. If all the above is done, Invest in an account that compounds interest. Another id a would be real estate, market should self correct and be a buyers market soon.

QUOTE=nothinbutwelves;13839255]I need help with a good growth vehicle for some money. I checked on a 3 year CD and the interest rate was 2.65%. what other choices do i have[/QUOTE]
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
spliffnwesson
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Ironic I suppose considering the errors in this post
Sure enough, somehow slipped an extra p in proper.
spliffnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK

Iím a big fan of real estate. If you are talking about a sum of money large enough for 20-25% down on a small home and have good credit, I would consider buying a rental house. Itís not for everyone but long term, itís tough to beat and is a pretty safe investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #12
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
2.65% is really not bad considering what it was 1-2 years ago. Pretty much all other investments carry risk.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #13
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Don't have kids. Best financial advice you'll ever get.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Use this calculator and tax the earnings 30%, this will get you a ballpark number.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #15
FCoDxDart
Four Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

If you have a good chunk of change then I'd get a manged E-trade account. Let them do it for a while and keep an eye on what they do. Not necessarily cause you should be worried, but to learn a bit on what is purchased/sold and when it's purchased/sold. After a year or so I'd manage it myself.

The stocks are where it's at for most everyone. They have been in the steadily increasing since forever. You would have to assume that trend will stay. Obviously there will be losses but if you don't happen to sell before them you have to leave it there, most of the time it will recoup what you lost and more. If you manage it yourself, research, research, research.

The nice thing about a management account is they are already well versed in how the markets work and what the trends typically are. You tell them what risks you want to take, how risky you want to be. There is no guaranteed rate of return but you could average 7-10%.

Also, if you do go this route, don't open the etrade app up everyday too look at what you getting. This is long term growth, there won't always been green numbers in the day to day changes.
FCoDxDart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

First off, I would be very hesitant to listen to advice given on an internet forum. No disrespect on anyone, but medical and financial advice are both things that you better seek out experienced professionals for. I am not a professional but know a decent bit about financial planning and financial matters.

Some things that come to mind real quick.

1. How much money?
2. What is your overall financial situation? As someone else mentioned, do you have high interest debt that could be paid down with the money? Do you have fully funded retirement vehicles already in place that you are funding on a regular basis?
3. What is your long term/short term goal pertaining to this money?
4. What is the timeframe you are wishing to keep the money invested?

Point is, there are many questions that would need to be answered before anyone could give you any sort of competent advice. Anything short of that is just entertainment on a hunting forum which is fine, I just wouldn't "take it to the bank" per se. If you are serious and this is a decent sum of money, seek out a trusted financial planner and get with them.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #17
bearintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20 minutes from the house!

Bitcoin is low right now....
bearintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
CaptainDave
Ten Point

America Express high yield savings account. Pays around 2%. Sure, not much, but your funds are not restricted like a CD. Operates about like a standard savings account, FDIC insured, etc.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
jnd1959
Six Point

I would first set down and determine your current financial situation, goals, risk tolerance and wants/needs. Nothing presented would be appropriate until that is complete. Then, visit a few investment professionals. Keep in mind, most investment professionals sell liquid /tradeable products so you may not get a complete presentation of all opportunities. Put the money in a separate account until you decide where to invest it. That way it doesn't get spent. Keep in mind how soon you will need the $. If it is a long time the investment strategy will be different than a short-term one. Good luck.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codie View Post
You can get better than that in a 36 month CD
Yes!

A 12 month CD is just shy of that rate.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
fishinguy
Four Point

There are many different options depending on how long term of a position you want to take. Also depends on your risk tolerance.

You can go with the tried and true approach and put it in a fund low expense fund that follows the S&P 500. That has historically been good advise. You could also look for bonds that get you closer to the return that you are looking for, you would be better off consulting with a professional that would take into consideration your entire portfolio and your goals.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #22
Jake
Four Point

All asset classes are at a relative all time high right now. I’m selling assets right now, paying off all debt and sitting in cash in a money market account at over 2% and waiting for the world to go on sale again.
In the long run of life, I would encourage you to become a financial expert, don’t pay for one. Be very conservative at this point of the market.

Just my opinion, everyone has one.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #23
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

tagged
tigerscowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #24
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
I’m a big fan of real estate. If you are talking about a sum of money large enough for 20-25% down on a small home and have good credit, I would consider buying a rental house. It’s not for everyone but long term, it’s tough to beat and is a pretty safe investment.

I’m curious what loan term? And are you investing in an area with high property tax rate. I ask because in my area with only 20-25% down & factoring high property tax, insurance & repairs wouldn’t return much in my opinion but I’m certainly no real estate guru but have entertained the option
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #25
Full Throttle
Six Point

Hunt In: Woodson, TX & Burneyville, OK
Default Financial advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Iím curious what loan term? And are you investing in an area with high property tax rate. I ask because in my area with only 20-25% down & factoring high property tax, insurance & repairs wouldnít return much in my opinion but Iím certainly no real estate guru but have entertained the option

The house I bought this summer in Denton was 235k. Did 20% down and 4.75% for 30 years. My mortgage pmt with taxes and insurance is $1635. Taxes are around $6k I believe. Iím renting it to an employee who needed a little help for a little under market value. But Iíve seen houses on the same street in same sq ft range for $1800/(2100 sq ft home). I think most investors are happy with $100 over their payment each month. My 2nd one Iím in the process of buying now will easily get that as I found the property off market w/o realtor commissions factored in.

When you calculate the tax advantages, appreciation, tenants paying down the mortgage, over a period of time itís really tough to beat.

Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #26
TxAg15SCSC
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Buy guns and wait for the next Democrat president to be elected.
This👆
TxAg15SCSC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #27
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Talk to a financial adviser. Mine is with Edward Jones. My investments although small garnered 20% in 2017. Not sure what it will be in 2018.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #28
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle View Post
The house I bought this summer in Denton was 235k. Did 20% down and 4.75% for 30 years. My mortgage pmt with taxes and insurance is $1635. Taxes are around $6k I believe. Iím renting it to an employee who needed a little help for a little under market value. But Iíve seen houses on the same street in same sq ft range for $1800/(2100 sq ft home). I think most investors are happy with $100 over their payment each month. My 2nd one Iím in the process of buying now will easily get that as I found the property off market w/o realtor commissions factored in.

When you calculate the tax advantages, appreciation, tenants paying down the mortgage, over a period of time itís really tough to beat.

Ok.
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #29
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
First off, I would be very hesitant to listen to advice given on an internet forum. No disrespect on anyone, but medical and financial advice are both things that you better seek out experienced professionals for. I am not a professional but know a decent bit about financial planning and financial matters.

Some things that come to mind real quick.

1. How much money?
2. What is your overall financial situation? As someone else mentioned, do you have high interest debt that could be paid down with the money? Do you have fully funded retirement vehicles already in place that you are funding on a regular basis?
3. What is your long term/short term goal pertaining to this money?
4. What is the timeframe you are wishing to keep the money invested?

Point is, there are many questions that would need to be answered before anyone could give you any sort of competent advice. Anything short of that is just entertainment on a hunting forum which is fine, I just wouldn't "take it to the bank" per se. If you are serious and this is a decent sum of money, seek out a trusted financial planner and get with them.
Disagree. I seen 5-6 doctors this year. Only 2 got it right. Some financial advisers could be selling you something they benefit from more than you. Asking 30K people on the net you can spot a trend that could lead you to a better answer.

All about perspective.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #30
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
This isn't a good rate on a CD. Ally Bank is currently paying 2.65% on a 12 month CD. Heck they will pay you 2.00% right now on a plain old savings account.

No way I'd lock in money for 3 years at 2.65%, especially in the rising rate environment we are in.

https://www.ally.com/bank/high-yield-cd/
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #31
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin Darts View Post
This isn't a good rate on a CD. Ally Bank is currently paying 2.65% on a 12 month CD. Heck they will pay you 2.00% right now on a plain old savings account.

No way I'd lock in money for 3 years at 2.65%, especially in the rising rate environment we are in.

https://www.ally.com/bank/high-yield-cd/
This - If you go the CD route I would go shorter term so you can take advantage of potential higher rate of return in years 2 and 3 if the rates continue to rise.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #32
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
1. I wouldn't take financial advice on a hunting forum.
2. I would seek out someone that has made it and ask them. "Made it" can mean highly qualified professional or someone that made money themselves.

I wouldn't ask marriage advice from someone with 6 marriages unless I wanted to know what NOT to do.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #33
rockyraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Disagree. I seen 5-6 doctors this year. Only 2 got it right. Some financial advisers could be selling you something they benefit from more than you. Asking 30K people on the net you can spot a trend that could lead you to a better answer.

All about perspective.
My point is, the OP still hasn't provided, unless I missed it, ANY background that would enable even the most trusted, competent professional the ability to offer advice. Just saying, hey I've got some money I'd like to grow isn't worthy of any specific advice. All of a sudden you've got guys saying to go buy rent houses to buy bonds, to open up a brokerage account and start buying individual stocks with zero information regarding this person's specific situation. As far as financial advisors who could be selling the OP something, you're right, you have to make the right decision on who to listen to. That's why I suggested he find a trusted advisor, not some salesman who's just looking to make a buck.
rockyraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyraider View Post
My point is, the OP still hasn't provided, unless I missed it, ANY background that would enable even the most trusted, competent professional the ability to offer advice. Just saying, hey I've got some money I'd like to grow isn't worthy of any specific advice. All of a sudden you've got guys saying to go buy rent houses to buy bonds, to open up a brokerage account and start buying individual stocks with zero information regarding this person's specific situation. As far as financial advisors who could be selling the OP something, you're right, you have to make the right decision on who to listen to. That's why I suggested he find a trusted advisor, not some salesman who's just looking to make a buck.
All of this.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #35
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Let me have it. Iíll make sure it grows.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #36
TexanDuke
Four Point

Hunt In: Polk

If you’re serious.....Shoot me a pm. I’m in that line of work.
TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #37
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearintex View Post
Bitcoin is low right now....
^^^^^ This
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #38
nothinbutwelves
Ten Point

Thank you all very much. My 36 month cd was through Amoco, i recieved a few really good Pms i will try the investment advisor first before locking down a rate. Real estate is not for me i work full time and away some,
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top