Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

257 Roberts?

Is this a SA or LA?

Technically a short action, but from my experience it’s more of a tweener. A lot of the short actions don’t allow you to seat the bullet out as far as I’d like. Nonetheless, a very effective round. My custom will put a 110 gr accubond at 2950 FPS at or less than 1 MOA. Truly the ideal Texas deer caliber.

Comment

I want one of these one day!

Comment

Yeah have a 270 ADL that don't see myself using so thinking about different calibers and have seen where some have been built on LA.

Comment

If you decide on the 257 Roberts , you need to seriously consider the Ackley Improved version. The 257AI was P.O. Ackley’s favorite cartridge as it screams efficiency and accuracy. Zero case stretch and a pleasure to shoot. I have a Cooper M22 and Nosler 100gr BT’s are my bullet of choice

Comment

Second on the 257AI

Comment

shoots factory round and custom rounds no problem

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - just what I was looking for

257, when you say "shoots either factory or custom", do you mean off shelf 257 bob or handloaded 257ai? Not familiar enough with caliber to know if off shelf 257 ai available

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
                  Thanks for the feedback - just what I was looking for

257, when you say "shoots either factory or custom", do you mean off shelf 257 bob or handloaded 257ai? Not familiar enough with caliber to know if off shelf 257 ai available
                  .257AI is the handloaded (custom) round after you fire .257 Roberts brass in the Improved chamber. A .257AI will fire both, the fired Roberts brass is "blown out" to form fit the enlarged AI chamber. I have a .257AI on a Remington 700 short action.

Stu

ETA - .257AI is a handloading-only proposition, unlike SAAMI-approved .280AI.
                  Last edited by Cottonfish; 03-20-2018, 05:03 AM. Reason: ETA

Comment

I have a Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. It's one of my favorites and it gets a lot of use. I shoot handloaded 90 gr. Barnes X bullets with a max charge of IMR 4350 and it flat out kills everything that moves. DRT. I've only had one critter move after being hit and it ran only about 30 yards before giving up the ghost.

It's been my go to round for whitetail, sheep, pigs, etc. for several year now, surpassing my .270, 7 mag, 7 SAUM, unless I knew I was going to have a really long shot. But, its starting to move its way to the back of the safe. My 7/08 is super accurate and I just purchased a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5x55 that appears to be a real tack driver. Those 2 will probably get the call for awhile.

Comment

Completely understand - have a 7-08 that has pretty much made all of the others safe queens

Comment

I would skip the 257 Roberts or the improved version if building on a long action. The 25-06 would be a better choice as it will out perform either and ammo is easier to come by. If you want more out of the 25-06 just chamber it with the 25-06 Imp.

Comment

Working...
                        X