Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is the end game with this virus....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    My parents are 81 and 84. Pop went to softball this morning and they are going to the movies tonight. Live life. My kid played baseball last night, If school cancels they have already worked it out they are playing all the college kids that are home twice a week and get reps in every other day. I didn’t hide from bird flu, swine flu, or HIV. Live life. If you are one of those that has high risk factors and the Flu A or Flu B would probably be fatal then this strain of virus will too.
    I have no issue with folks that want to isolate their family- just don’t tell me to do it to mine.

Look at the interviews with the cruise ship passengers that got it- Lady in her 60s said she was doing yoga the next morning. Husband and wife both had it and both said they have had several viruses that were worse.
    You really are obtuse. We are not saying everyone is going to die. We are saying everyone(most) chilling at home for a few weeks might do everyone some good. Especially the health care industry. We all get you have balls as big as basketballs as does everyone in your family. You've made that apparent through numerous post. The point you keep missing is it's not just about dying. Its about treating people.

For argument sake let's say 10 million americans will get this virus. Of those 10 million say 10% or 1MM need to be hospitalized. If those 1MM need hospitalization wouldn't it be better to do something that spreads that 1MM out over time versus them all having it at the same time? I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand.

In your World if you had 100 fights break out in downtown Austin would you want them spread out over a months time versus trying to respond to 100 fights on Saturday night at 8 pm all over downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
      Agree... but unless you work in HC and see this firsthand, you seriously have no idea how easily a hospital, emergency department, clinics, etc can be overwhelmed but the number of sick people with no room to care for them all... 24 hour ED wait times, ICU patients in ventilators IN HALLWAYS with 6,7, 8 patients per nurse... trust me y’all DO NOT want it to get to that point.
      I agree but I have a hard time believing that our ICU beds and Ventilators are at 85% utilization. I read there are only 62,000 ventilators in the US?

Can that be true?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        I agree but I have a hard time believing that our ICU beds and Ventilators are at 85% utilization. I read there are only 62,000 ventilators in the US?

Can that be true?

Our ICU beds stay at that capacity on a daily basis without an additional respiratory illness going around. My background is ED nursing and I have, usually during flu season, held patients on ventilators in the ED for 24 hours or more, just waiting on an inpatient bed to open. So yes, it is possible...

That also takes an ED room away so more people sit and wait in the lobby as well as takes nurses. The general ratio of nurses to ICU patients is 1:2 (sometimes 1:1) and the general ratio of ED nurses to patients is 1:4. If you have to take an ED nurse and give him/her ventilated ICU holds, you then have to close down 2 rooms as well OR overload that nurse and then it becomes a safety issue, mistakes happen and people die.

Comment

Our ICU beds stay at that capacity on a daily basis without an additional respiratory illness going around. My background is ED nursing and I have, usually during flu season, held patients on ventilators in the ED for 24 hours or more, just waiting on an inpatient bed to open. So yes, it is possible...

That also takes an ED room away so more people sit and wait in the lobby as well as takes nurses. The general ratio of nurses to ICU patients is 1:2 (sometimes 1:1) and the general ratio of ED nurses to patients is 1:4. If you have to take an ED nurse and give him/her ventilated ICU holds, you then have to close down 2 rooms as well OR overload that nurse and then it becomes a safety issue, mistakes happen and people die.
          Not denying any facts that you are stating because I know our health care system is overloaded but I am curious how we handled the MASSIVE H1N1 outbreak in 2009 with even less hospitals? Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            Not denying any facts that you are stating because I know our health care system is overloaded but I am curious how we handled the MASSIVE H1N1 outbreak in 2009 with even less hospitals? Any idea?

I was not in healthcare in 2009. I do not have any firsthand knowledge of how that was handled.

Comment

I’m beginning to think that the best thing for America is for all Americans to go sit in their homes and watch sport’s reruns for a month or two......that includes ALL law enforcement officers, medics and fire personnel. Hell, what’s the point of all us public servants exposing ourselves and families when the rest of society gets to work from home.
              If we are going to over react let’s go all the way.

Comment

Pretty good read

Comment

Why such a run on toilet paper. Does the virus give you the runs?

Comment

TT. My viewpoint on what the ER did and what it was. People came in the triage. If they were a high risk or needed additional care they got seen. Folks that were otherwise healthy but just had the flu sat in the waiting room until they got tired and went home and self medicated and took care of themselves. I got it from the ER and it was a bad strain of the flu to have. It took a solid 5-6 days before my body didn’t ache and I wanted to go outside. I did go to my family Dr but I waited too long for Theraflu to be very effective. If we had that going around again I know why there would be a shortage of TP

Comment

Well it looks like life and commerce as usual will be shut down for at least a month or two as of now. How does this play out? What is the end goal? What will be an "acceptable" number of deaths from all this?

Will we open everything back up in June and then have to shut everything back down in November when cases start to bounce back up? Just wondering how folks see this playing out.

Comment

I was not in healthcare in 2009. I do not have any firsthand knowledge of how that was handled.

My only "first hand knowledge" of that period is that my wife was in a trauma OR setting an was not infected, but we sure had a lot of bathing in prayer over her. My PCP Dr. DIED from it! He got it from a patient, then contracted pneumonia, and died!

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          I’m beginning to think that the best thing for America is for all Americans to go sit in their homes and watch sport’s reruns for a month or two......that includes ALL law enforcement officers, medics and fire personnel. Hell, what’s the point of all us public servants exposing ourselves and families when the rest of society gets to work from home.
                          If we are going to over react let’s go all the way.

Yeah that would be cool. Along with all the utility workers, refineries, chem plants, food processors, healthcare workers.

Just 100% caveman, no power, no sewer, no fuel, no law.

I'm gonna start designing my mad max costume now.

Gonna be all the healthcare workers bearing the brunt of this one. My wife is already pretty stressed trying to keep all her troops in line and ready to do battle with this when the stuff hits the fan.

They have some really cool paperwork from the state with tips on how to reuse single use ppe incuding respiratory protection since there really isnt too much available. In the future if this thing gets really bad there will be none available most likely.
                          Last edited by Lungbustr; 03-20-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

So as not to start another thread.........Im bumping this to the top. What has been accomplished? Im looking at the stats from my county, Fort Bend, we have 825,000+ people here. We have devastated our economy putting many small businesses under or at the very least in dire straits. Not to mention how many individuals have had their personal finances up ended. So far there have been 600+ confirmed cases. So now we are going to begin "opening" up society again. What is the difference between now and 6 weeks ago? I mean there are still 825,000+ people who havent had the illness. This is just insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                              Well it looks like life and commerce as usual will be shut down for at least a month or two as of now. How does this play out? What is the end goal? What will be an "acceptable" number of deaths from all this?

Will we open everything back up in June and then have to shut everything back down in November when cases start to bounce back up? Just wondering how folks see this playing out.
                              rtp, the way I see it the government will just keep moving the goal posts and eroding our liberty a little at a time. They never came out and set a goal of what would be a good outcome from all this crap. Still haven't. At first we were doing all this for a couple of weeks to "flatten the curve" and to not overwhelm the healthcare system. Well, that obviously happened and now we have to keep everything shut down longer still. It was "wearing masks will not help" to "now masks are mandatory!" It was 6' was safe and now it needs to be 13' to be safe.
                              We will come out of all this a weaker country and less free overall. That is all I know.

Also scary to see on a month old thread how easily so many people bought into the chicken little narrative....hook line and sinker. Scary that we have so many folks who didn't try to look at the actual numbers from the beginning, do a little simple math and critical thinking, and determine that the gov and media were full of it from day 1.
                              Last edited by LWC; 04-18-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                So as not to start another thread.........Im bumping this to the top. What has been accomplished? Im looking at the stats from my county, Fort Bend, we have 825,000+ people here. We have devastated our economy putting many small businesses under or at the very least in dire straits. Not to mention how many individuals have had their personal finances up ended. So far there have been 600+ confirmed cases. So now we are going to begin "opening" up society again. What is the difference between now and 6 weeks ago? I mean there are still 825,000+ people who havent had the illness. This is just insanity.
                                I'm afraid this is going to become a "normal" reaction in the future every time someone sneezes or coughs. Are we going to curl up in a ball, avoid one another and ffs... no longer shake hands every flu season?

Comment

Working...
                                X