Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Just make sure the 20 is on a sub gauge frame and you’ll be fine
    Is there such thing as a 20 gauge on a sub gauge frame?

Comment

28 gauges

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
      Is there such thing as a 20 gauge on a sub gauge frame?

Well I consider a 20 subgauge and there are 20s built on a 12 gauge frame ...sorry if that’s not correct the correct verbage..

My 725 sporting is a much smaller gun frame compared to the 725 12 of the same
      Last edited by Smart; 11-14-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Well I consider a 20 subgauge and there are 20s built on a 12 gauge frame ...sorry if that’s not correct the correct verbage..

My 725 sporting is a much smaller gun frame compared to the 725 12 of the same
        Subgauge guns are 28 and 410. To my knowledge, 20 gauge barrels will not fit on a true sub gauge frame. The whole advantage of sub gauge guns are the light and small frames. If you want to buy a combo 20/28 you might as well just get one nice 20 gauge because 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame defeats the whole purpose of the caliber.

Comment

silver pigeon have 28 and 20 both super fine o/u never hangs

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
            I want a Benelli Ethos in 28ga. It's on my shortlist.
            I have one and you'll love it.

Comment

Smart is correct...most 20/28 'only' combos will be based on the smaller 20ga frame.

Remember there are plenty of 4bbl sets (410, 28, 20 & 12) & they obviously have to revolve on the big 12ga frame.

One of the issues I'll have to get used to as I really tend to shoot & like the way big heavier guns swing. I thought about tubes but figured it was missing the whole smaller ga virtues. We'll see.
              Last edited by Artos; 11-14-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Subgauge guns are 28 and 410. To my knowledge, 20 gauge barrels will not fit on a true sub gauge frame. The whole advantage of sub gauge guns are the light and small frames. If you want to buy a combo 20/28 you might as well just get one nice 20 gauge because 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame defeats the whole purpose of the caliber.
                Gauges...not calibers...well except the 410 is a bore.

I have seen many definitions of sub gauges as < 12....I guess it just depends on what groups you shoot for and what part of the country you shoot.

Let me rephrase for JP.

OP...Don't buy a set that is built on a 12 gauge frame..... if you buy a set....make sure it is a 20-28 gauge set and not a 12, 20, 28, .410. I mean you can buy one but the 20 gauge on a true smaller frame like the 725 is a very good feel. A 28 gauge is fine in a 20ga frame....the felt recoil is slightly less and its a nice change. That 28ga is a nice dove and quail smacker.
                Last edited by Smart; 11-14-2018, 09:23 PM.

Comment

**** I butchered the typing on that. Had to edit..

Comment

What is the reasoning for this? Safety with cracked barrels?
                    Another reason is that some landowners don’t like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also won’t let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because he’s worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                      Another reason is that some landowners don’t like a bunch of hulls left on the ground. I know of an old man who insists on o/u or sxs for that reason. Of course, he also won’t let you on his place if you bring bottled beer because he’s worried the caps will be thrown on the ground.

He has some issues.

I totally understand the hulls thing. I know some OU guys that let em fly. I have to stay on their asses to pick them up.

That's over the top on the beer thing

Comment

That 28ga is a nice dove and quail smacker.
                        With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.

Comment

With bismuth shotshells making a comeback at relatively affordable prices, the possibilities are endless with the 28 gauge. They kind of disappeared when hevi shot started making 28 gauge ammo but now Kent, Rio, and Boss (coming soon) are all making 28 gauge bismuth loads. I just spent a week shooting cranes in the panhandle with #5 rio bismuth and had no problem rolling them out to 45 yards!

I had a couple herniated discs in my neck this past spring and it was suggested by a doctor friend that I cut back on recoil so I decided I was going to go all 28 gauge this year. After seeing how well it performed on cranes I honestly don't see any reason to ever pick up a 12 gauge again.

Niiice...That's impressive performance from a 28.

I haven't picked up a 12ga since 2004 myself and I sold the ones I had buying more 20s (my preferred due to shell cost) with the proceeds. Killed a lot of ducks in 2005-2009 period with an M-1 20. They are hell on turkeys too. Another 28ga in o/u is my next buy, like I said above, when I can convince myself to do it... I just hope it doesn't make me sell all my 20s..

Comment

Niiice...That's impressive performance from a 28.

I haven't picked up a 12ga since 2004 myself and I sold the ones I had buying more 20s (my preferred due to shell cost) with the proceeds. Killed a lot of ducks in 2005-2009 period with an M-1 20. They are hell on turkeys too. Another 28ga in o/u is my next buy, like I said above, when I can convince myself to do it... I just hope it doesn't make me sell all my 20s..
                            I mentioned it above but take a look at the franchi instinct L 28 gauge. They are super sweet little guns and very reasonably priced IMO.

Comment

I mentioned it above but take a look at the franchi instinct L 28 gauge. They are super sweet little guns and very reasonably priced IMO.

Buddy has the 20. Actually it might be the SL. Nice guns for sure

I'm leaning toward a matching 725 for my 20 .. Hence the holdup..

Comment

Franchi are computer machined receiver and barrels set. This allows for a very tight lock up which is good. Only issue is from the franchi I have handled is that it's wayyyy to tight.

You will pay a little more for a berreta or other gunsmith assembled guns but those guns are ready to shoot out of the box.

Or just grab a tube flitz sit down and watch every episode of lonesome dove while breaking the barrel open.

Little more money that's all.

Comment

Working...
                                X