Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #101
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County
Default Am I crazy for not canceling baseball practice?

Its not about the getting sick.. @ that age it is hard enough to get the kids attention on the game, much less when they are cold and miserable and just want to go home..

You can practice, but I highly doubt it will be productive..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamonJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #102
TXJIM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

**** it you guys were right. It's not safe to play baseball in this cold. I am sitting in urgent care. I think I just broke my **** ankle playing catch in the front yard.
TXJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #103
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJIM View Post
**** it you guys were right. It's not safe to play baseball in this cold. I am sitting in urgent care. I think I just broke my **** ankle playing catch in the front yard.
Didn't yo you see my thread from last Sunday?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #104
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shake it off and get back in the game

Here's to hoping it's just a sprain.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #105
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Rub some dirt on it.

And fill the pot holes in your yard..
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 03:14 PM   #106
TXJIM
Ten Point

Tried to make a hero play on a throw that sailed and landed on the edge where the grass meets the sidewalk. Just had xrays.....waiting for radiologist report. If it wasn't for my mad hops I wouldn't have landed so hard
Old 02-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #107
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

They are 7-8 years old. Practice should have been cancelled or at the least, moved indoors. I don't think one more day off is going to ruin their shot at the MLB!

Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 02-11-2018 at 03:26 PM.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #108
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
According to some on this thread ... eskimos are extinct.

Our team's 7u boys played tournament games till 8:30 last night and are just now taking the field today for brackets.
And that looks like you are watching it from inside or on television.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #109
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
And that looks like you are watching it from inside or on television.
Not our tournament. Its our 7u team..and they arent complaining, whining, or bitching like soccer moms.
But we've played in rain, and cold weather.

Yall whine about playing football and hockey in inclement weather too?

A healthy immune system is one that gets used.

I swear, the wussification is seeded deep.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #110
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Track runs in that weather. Football plays in it in the rain as well, and snow up north. Baseball players can do the same. Will build team spirit lol
Unless they're young. I'd give the young ones a break. Older kids hit the field
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #111
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
No! Cold weather doesn’t give people flu or a cold. Get their snowflake asses out there.
I didn't read the whole thread because I didn't need to. Jeff hit the nail on the head. Weather doesn't cause or transmit the flu and the reason we have so many candy-assed kids is because we have too many candy-assed parents.

I'll admit I pushed my kids to basketball because it's hard to beat a climate-controlled gym.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #112
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I'd ask him how cold it was but he has me blocked. Speaking of wussification. 😂
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #113
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Not our tournament. Its our 7u team..and they arent complaining, whining, or bitching like soccer moms.

Hear Hear !! It's incredible now days. Too hot, Little Johnny can't practice, too cold, no little Johnny, too windy, no little Johnny. Little Johnny is 250lbs but a 243 is too much, where can I find some reduced recoil loads. I mean, todays "Men" have to ask the internet when Johnny can hold a gun, when he can set in a stand by himself, etc...
Can you imagine when this group of kids, have kids? We straight f $#%@d bro!!
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #114
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Hear Hear !! It's incredible now days. Too hot, Little Johnny can't practice, too cold, no little Johnny, too windy, no little Johnny. Little Johnny is 250lbs but a 243 is too much, where can I find some reduced recoil loads. I mean, todays "Men" have to ask the internet when Johnny can hold a gun, when he can set in a stand by himself, etc...
Man that is perfect. Where have you been
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #115
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Man, do kids up north just stay indoors 4 months every year? Does kids ski school kill thousands every year and I just didn't hear about it? Apparently, children getting exercise in groups at temps below 50 is fatal and and here I had no idea
Yeah ski school is very similar to baseball. Kids throwing ski polls back and forth just like a baseball. Using the same ski's is like sharing a baseball bat. One is cold weather, non-team sport that doesn't share the same equipment. The other is a warm weather sport that shares the same equipment. Apples to oranges here.

Send a message out to the parents that you will have practice and it is possible it will be cut short due to weather. Make sure the kids are dressed appropriately for the weather conditions. If you get messages back saying little Johnny will not be there due to the weather, then you can cancel practice. Put the ball in the parents court.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #116
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #117
TXJIM
Ten Point

Headed back from urgent care. It's 45, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day for some baseball
Old 02-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #118
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Will put hair on there chest.

Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #119
curtintex
Pope & Young

I'm surprised....I know I shouldn't be....with the number of men on this site that thinks a coach should cancel practice because it might be uncomfortable, or even worse, "leave it up to the parents to decide". It's no wonder that high school coaches today face the challenges that they didn't face 25 years ago.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #120
oktx
Pope & Young

They're 7-8 year olds. Hard *** pee wee coaches. 😂
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #121
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
What grown man still says "Bro"?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #122
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
They're 7-8 year olds. Hard *** pee wee coaches. 😂
At what age do you start teaching kids about responsibility, teamwork, dedication, expectations, etc.? I don't think 7-8 is too young. I've been coaching girls for 20 years. In softball for the first 10 and basketball for the last 13. The more expectations you place on them, the more they expect of themselves, regardless of age. When parents actually buy in, instead of undermining, that's when you've made some progress. Kids are tougher than most adults give them credit for.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #123
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Bunch of grumpy hard *** old men around here today. Guess my decision was correct to cancel as the league closed the fields after the sleet and soft hail came through. Don't worry, I've got practice rescheduled for Tuesday. I'm even getting a Navy Seal buddy to come break these 7-8 year olds down so we can build them into the warriors I need them to be.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #124
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
At what age do you start teaching kids about responsibility, teamwork, dedication, expectations, etc.? I don't think 7-8 is too young. I've been coaching girls for 20 years. In softball for the first 10 and basketball for the last 13. The more expectations you place on them, the more they expect of themselves, regardless of age. When parents actually buy in, instead of undermining, that's when you've made some progress. Kids are tougher than most adults give them credit for.
At that age 7-8 make it fun. I don't know the temp when practice started but practicing stand around (baseball) is not fun. Too much down time to get cold. If they don't think it's fun they won't come back next year and play. Older kids I get it. You coach for a living?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #125
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:

One **** sure doesn't push their daughters towards basketball so he can be comfortable in a gym like a **** wussie.. and then preach to others about dedication...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #126
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
At that age 7-8 make it fun. I don't know the temp when practice started but practicing stand around (baseball) is not fun. Too much down time to get cold. If they don't think it's fun they won't come back next year and play. Older kids I get it. You coach for a living?
I certainly see what you're saying, but setting expectations doesn't necessarily take the fun out of it. And no sir, I'm strictly a volunteer coach. Paid coaches are the ones that I feel sorry for. They're the ones that inherit the pampered kids that many volunteer coaches and many parents shelter to a fault. Again, I don't want kids to get frostbite, but being uncomfortable for one practice is a great teaching tool.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #127
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
One **** sure doesn't push their daughters towards basketball so he can be comfortable in a gym like a **** wussie.. and then preach to others about dedication...

Yes they do....turns out I'm the SMART one.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #128
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
yes they do....turns out i'm a wussy.:d:d:d
fify
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #129
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
I certainly see what you're saying, but setting expectations doesn't necessarily take the fun out of it. And no sir, I'm strictly a volunteer coach. Paid coaches are the ones that I feel sorry for. They're the ones that inherit the pampered kids that many volunteer coaches and many parents shelter to a fault. Again, I don't want kids to get frostbite, but being uncomfortable for one practice is a great teaching tool.
Those guys that coach for a living want everyone to play. Those that are soft will weed themselves out soon enough. They don't need the pee wee coaches to do it for them.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #130
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree with most of that but girls mature a lot faster than boys do and are a lot more dedicated at a younger age than boys are.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #131
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Those guys that coach for a living want everyone to play. Those that are soft will weed themselves out soon enough. They don't need the pee wee coaches to do it for them.
I agree with that. I guess my point was that it's a shame that setting expectations for kids playing a team sport weeds out anyone.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #132
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
Bunch of grumpy hard *** old men around here today. Guess my decision was correct to cancel as the league closed the fields after the sleet and soft hail came through. Don't worry, I've got practice rescheduled for Tuesday. I'm even getting a Navy Seal buddy to come break these 7-8 year olds down so we can build them into the warriors I need them to be.
Sleet and hail are very different conditions from your original post which I assume is what everyone is responding to. Sleet and hail, yes cancel the practice, 43 and a very mild wind, no dont cancel it. But that opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or are we all boycotting them?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #133
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree with that. I guess my point was that it's a shame that setting expectations for kids playing a team sport weeds out anyone.
I don't think you are getting what I'm saying, practicing baseball in cold weather sucks. Especially for 7-8 year olds that can't name all nine positions. A game is different. There's a reason why MLB goes to warmer climates for spring training.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #134
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Sleet and hail are very different conditions from your original post which I assume is what everyone is responding to. Sleet and hail, yes cancel the practice, 43 and a very mild wind, no dont cancel it. But that opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or are we all boycotting them?
Agreed. My stance certainly wasn't based on sleet and hail.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #135
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nothing like mentioning Starbucks in a 'manly' discussion
Old 02-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #136
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
I don't think you are getting what I'm saying, practicing baseball in cold weather sucks. Especially for 7-8 year olds that can't name all nine positions. A game is different. There's a reason why MLB goes to warmer climates for spring training.
To be fair, practicing baseball in any weather sucks.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:18 PM   #137
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Nothing like mentioning Starbucks in a 'manly' discussion
I said get you a cup not me.....I dont drink the stuff.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #138
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
I said get you a cup not me.....I dont drink the stuff.
I'll pass
Old 02-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #139
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

I guess the select pros at age 7 play in any weather.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #140
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm even getting a Navy Seal buddy to come break these 7-8 year olds down so we can build them into the warriors I need them to be.
There you go! You are on the way to being a select pro coach in no time!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #141
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I guess the select pros at age 7 play in any weather.
Its ok.
I dont blame you for not wanting to get your skirt wet or your delicate hands cold.
The world needs male balerinas too... i guess.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #142
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

It’s miserable out. There’s too much standing around in baseball, and you can only wear so many clothes while playing it. They’d freeze. No reason to torture them at that age. It would be a little different if it was a sport like soccer where they’re constantly running and keeping their body heat up, although I doubt I’d want my kid doing that in this weather at that age either. I had to practice various sports in weather this cold over the years, and I don’t ever recall enjoying it or being particular engaged in the practice while my fingers were freezing off.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #143
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm surprised....I know I shouldn't be....with the number of men on this site that thinks a coach should cancel practice because it might be uncomfortable, or even worse, "leave it up to the parents to decide". It's no wonder that high school coaches today face the challenges that they didn't face 25 years ago.
25 years ago kids weren't playing baseball in February. It wasn't a year round sport then.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #144
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's the spirit.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #145
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Systemnt my space profile pic...

Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #146
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Systemnt my space profile pic...

No joke!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #147
systemnt
Pope & Young

Wth is my space and why would you use that as your profile pic? Doesnt even show your man bun...
Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #148
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
What grown man still says "Bro"?
This one, bro .
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #149
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wth is my space and why would you use that as your profile pic? Doesnt even show your man bun...
Weak. Need to work on your game a little harder. Well get you a participation ribbon though. You can put it in your trophy cabinet with the rest of yours.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #150
systemnt
Pope & Young

Quote:
Weak. Need to work on your game a little harder. Well get you a participation ribbon though. You can put it in your trophy cabinet with the rest of yours.
Whatever you say, princess.