Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #101
rjet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullydog View Post
Attachment 491201

Have about 30 more in the closet...I actually enjoy wearing mine most days.
That is good information.

Now I know where to go to get someone to tie mine for me if the occasion ever arises to wear one.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #102
TheCracker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Piney Woods

learned when I was inthe 8th grade.. cant stand them though!
TheCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #103
BIG D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Zavala County

I can not and cant remember the last time I wore one.
BIG D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #104
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any place I can.

I was probably around 30-32 when I started wearing/learning how to tie a tie. I do not have to wear a tie, however I began to realize that most of the men that I respect, admire, and consider to be my mentors/roll models wear them. So I started?
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #105
bowhunter0
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam houston national forest

I can't!
bowhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #106
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Like riding a bike , do it on a drive in sometimes, tie a tie .net if u are interested in the various knots.
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #107
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I've gotten good at it in the last few years. Wish my neck wasn't the size of a culvert, it would be easier to find ties I like.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #108
LloydMcCoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TEXAS,Kansas,Oklahoma,Wisconsin

What's a tie?
LloydMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #109
Texans42
Ten Point

Every weekday for the last 18years. I have an 18" neck. I only wear brooks brothers custom or slim fit shirts and BB ties.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #110
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Well the whole reason I started this thread was because I was going for an interview for a position that I have wanted for years. I'm the supervisor for a team of guys and I applied for my managers position and I didn't get it. One of the things the want me to work on is dressing up in a tie more. Stupids thing I've ever heard considering I work for a uniform company and I wear a uniform every day
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #111
LemmeOut
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Well the whole reason I started this thread was because I was going for an interview for a position that I have wanted for years. I'm the supervisor for a team of guys and I applied for my managers position and I didn't get it. One of the things the want me to work on is dressing up in a tie more. Stupids thing I've ever heard considering I work for a uniform company and I wear a uniform every day
That's kind of like being told you didn't get a low level management position because you don't have any management experience. Makes you want to say "Hello, McFly!" doesn't it?

Sorry you didn't get the position.

I learned how to tie a tie in high school because we had to dress up on game days. A good friend's Dad taught the two of us at the same time. I have to tie my Dad's ties for him if they happen to come untied.
LemmeOut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #112
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmeOut View Post
That's kind of like being told you didn't get a low level management position because you don't have any management experience. Makes you want to say "Hello, McFly!" doesn't it?

Sorry you didn't get the position.

I learned how to tie a tie in high school because we had to dress up on game days. A good friend's Dad taught the two of us at the same time. I have to tie my Dad's ties for him if they happen to come untied.
Crazy part about all of this is my wife is a gm with the same company and her sales mangers husband got the job!!!!!! I'm sick to my stomach right now. I pretty much didn't get the job because I am a good old boy who drives a jacked up truck and don't wear a tie enough To make it worst my gm's brother worked for my wife and he sucked so she tried to develop him and he kept dropping the ball on projects! After she kept telling him what he needed to work on he left and moved out of state to work in the division his sister works in. So basically his sister my bosses boss got him a Job in our division in another state. I found out tonight from another manager word for word as they past a jacked up truck that Dave actually thinks he can go see a customer in a silly truck like that Well guess what if I got a $500 dollar a month car package I would be driving a dang Prius to go see those customers
But as they say it is what it is. They actually didn't even give me a development plan for my position to get to the next level because I'm already way above it. My development plan Is learning how to type better and learning excel, along with wearing a shirt and tie to work more often even though I will have to change into working Man's clothes every day!!!! After 11 years with the company I think it's time for me to be a greeter at bass pro shops! Who's in on the discounts
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #113
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

I do!!!!!

But Landrover had to teach me in a Parking lot in Atascocita the night before i smoked my ex wifes *** in court the next day. That was 06. Until that point it was a polamar or an improved clinch. Neither of which look worth a **** on a tie!;D
JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #114
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I've gotten good at it in the last few years. Wish my neck wasn't the size of a culvert, it would be easier to find ties I like.
Roflmao!!! I hear ya. A collar on a 18" shirt chokes me if the top button is buttoned. Bro not bein mean but you gotta be pushin 20!

We aint got no necks!!! Lol
Old 05-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #115
gatt40
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

Also wore one for 30 yrs & trying to forget now
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #116
Graybow
Ten Point

Don't even own one.
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #117
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Learned in high school. Still can when I need to.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #118
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Hey Slayer! I guess I'm not the only tie wearer left - sure feels like it sometimes. I think one reason people hate to wear them is they buy dress shirts that are too tight in the neck, hence all the comments about "feeling choked". As far as how to tie it - with a straight collar or button down collar I go with the "four-in-hand" knot, cinched down tight so you get a nice dimple. (the knot is tight not tight against your neck) With a spread collar I usually go with the Windsor knot.
Same here on the knots. Most of my dress shirts are spread collar so I spend a lot of my suit time in a full Windsor.
lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #119
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Sorry you didn't get the job, I recently have made a big jump up the ladder from low level management to director. It literally is a combination of things. Right place/right time, who you know, past success on projects. It's a different sandbox, you don't have to sacrifice your good ole boy mentality , it may come in handy. But when push comes to shove, always act like the big man when opportunities present themselves, ie, how you send emails, the people you speak with and how you speak with them, presentations in front of folks. Hope this helps along with tieing a tie, you will be on your way!
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #120
large car
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever i go

What's wrong with clip ons.
large car is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #121
JW
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by large car View Post
What's wrong with clip ons.
Its cheatin!!! Like a rifle!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #122
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post

It is weird that folks think ties are odd to me.

I knew before I got out of high school..........just common stuff for me and my brother!
I also learned how in junior high, I think, beause I wore it to church. My dad worked in the oil fields but always wore a suit when it was was appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Crazy part about all of this is my wife is a gm with the same company and her sales mangers husband got the job!!!!!! I'm sick to my stomach right now. I pretty much didn't get the job because I am a good old boy who drives a jacked up truck and don't wear a tie enough To make it worst my gm's brother worked for my wife and he sucked so she tried to develop him and he kept dropping the ball on projects! After she kept telling him what he needed to work on he left and moved out of state to work in the division his sister works in. So basically his sister my bosses boss got him a Job in our division in another state. I found out tonight from another manager word for word as they past a jacked up truck that Dave actually thinks he can go see a customer in a silly truck like that Well guess what if I got a $500 dollar a month car package I would be driving a dang Prius to go see those customers
But as they say it is what it is. They actually didn't even give me a development plan for my position to get to the next level because I'm already way above it. My development plan Is learning how to type better and learning excel, along with wearing a shirt and tie to work more often even though I will have to change into working Man's clothes every day!!!! After 11 years with the company I think it's time for me to be a greeter at bass pro shops! Who's in on the discounts
Believe it or not, image is VERY important in business, and management probablly thinks that driving a jacked up truck is a sign of lack of maturity. Think about it. Do you ever see older, more mature people driiving jacked up trucks? Nope...just kids that think it's cool. Mature folks realize that jacked up trucks is a foolish way to spend money.

Last edited by Burnadell; 05-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #123
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D View Post
I can not and cant remember the last time I wore one.
X2!!!
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #124
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Clip on only. Don't need nobody leading me around by a tie.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #125
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Mature folks realize that jacked up trucks is a foolish way to spend money.
And harder to crawl my portly arthritic body into.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #126
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I also learned how in junior high, I think, beause I wore it to church. My dad worked in the oil fields but always wore a suit when it was was appropriate.

Believe it or not, image is VERY important in business, and management probablly thinks that driving a jacked up truck is a sign of lack of maturity. Think about it. Do you ever see older, more mature people driiving jacked up trucks? Nope...just kids that think it's cool. Mature folks realize that jacked up trucks is a foolish way to spend money.
I've told them time and time again that as soon as I got promoted I would get a 4 door sedan. The promotion comes with a car package which would allow me to have 2 vehicles.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #127
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Cause and effect, not effect then cause.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #128
DanielLee5
Nubbin' Buck

I am 32 and I can't, lol
DanielLee5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #129
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Guilty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #130
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I may be in the minority but I think knowing how to tie a tie is required knowledge. No different from being able to change a tire. I also think every man should read Dress for Success by John T. Molloy at least once. Some of it isn't applicable in today's era but it is full of good information.

I consider myself a full blooded registered redneck but that doesn't mean you can't dress sharp when it is called for. I also got a good piece of advice right our of engineering school.....Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #131
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I may be in the minority but I think knowing how to tie a tie is required knowledge. No different from being able to change a tire.

Changing a tire is a
Useful skill based in necessity. A suit, more importantly, a tie...serves absolutely no utilitarian purpose. As a matter of fact, they are a hindrance to accomplishing any task aside from dressing up. The suit needs to go the way of the top hat.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #132
bps3040
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas, Dryden area, Forestville, Canada

I have to tie one about once a year and for some reason, I have no problem remembering
bps3040 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #133
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I may be in the minority but I think knowing how to tie a tie is required knowledge. No different from being able to change a tire. I also think every man should read Dress for Success by John T. Molloy at least once. Some of it isn't applicable in today's era but it is full of good information.

I consider myself a full blooded registered redneck but that doesn't mean you can't dress sharp when it is called for. I also got a good piece of advice right our of engineering school.....Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.
Exactly!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #134
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfish View Post
I can...I just choose not to.
Antlers86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #135
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

I know how too tie a tie in several different knots. Granted for my job and career its important to know how to tie a tie. That being said I don't wear a tie everyday but when I have important meetings with physicians, clients, state representatives, etc... I will wear one. One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given was to dress to your audience. If I'm meeting with people wearing ties I will wear one as well. To me it shows respect and professionalism. This wont apply to every profession but to mine it does

I personally don't mind a tie that much but that's probably because I don't wear one everyday. Plus the wife loves it so if I can score some extra brownie points I'll take it lol
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #136
Maddies Dad
Spike

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Between church and work, SIX DAYS A WEEK!!! I love Saturdays. Envious of y'all braggarts who've never had to learn!
Maddies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #137
Maddies Dad
Spike

Hunt In: Not sure yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Changing a tire is a
Useful skill based in necessity. A suit, more importantly, a tie...serves absolutely no utilitarian purpose. As a matter of fact, they are a hindrance to accomplishing any task aside from dressing up. The suit needs to go the way of the top hat.

This argument doesn't hold much water. We could probably get together and list a million non-utilitarian things/skills we all do every single day. Still, be grateful you don't have to wear a tie every day!
Maddies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #138
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Has anyone else gone to Walmart for a family portrait, grabbed a clip on in the men's dept., got pic taken and put clip on back on the rack?

I'm 60 yrs old and still can not tie a tie.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #139
sandbill
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Growing up I had no clue how to tie one. Wore a clip on for my 'sacker' position at Piggly Wiggly grocery store. Set a goal to learn how by age 30. Got it figured out with a few months to spare! It is kind of like riding a bike once you learn how. Although, one time while getting dressed for a big job interview, pre-interview jitters got the best of me, and I went totally blank on the mechanics of tying that tie.
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #140
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

i can (i think, its been a while), but only if i'm putting it on myself
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #141
Horn chaser
Ten Point

I am 41 and never have tied a tie. The one time I wore a nice tie for my cousin's fancy wedding I had someone else tie it for me. Have no interest or want to for learning how to wear a real tie.
Horn chaser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #142
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddies Dad View Post
This argument doesn't hold much water. We could probably get together and list a million non-utilitarian things/skills we all do every single day. Still, be grateful you don't have to wear a tie every day!

What I meant was most things we wear are based on some actual purpose, or at the very least, aren't a hindrance to day to day activities. The only reason we wear a suit is because someone, presumably a century or two ago decided it looks nice. They've always been a pain in the ***, but people still wear them because....why? Because it's always been that way? Because the other guy does? Makes no sense.

People like Burnadell and my dad say, "because some situations call for us to look nicer." I don't think suits and ties look nice. I think they look stupid in 2018, and I think they looked stupid in 1985.

I clearly don't work in corporate America, if I did I'd strap on the monkey suit just like everyone else...but I don't believe the lord requires I be miserable, or minds if I wear starched jeans and a pressed shirt to church.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #143
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

I have 3 zipper ties. Work like a charm looks great and perfect length every time.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #144
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
Confused!! Thought they clipped on.
Now that's funny right there!!!!!!
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #145
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
What I meant was most things we wear are based on some actual purpose, or at the very least, aren't a hindrance to day to day activities. The only reason we wear a suit is because someone, presumably a century or two ago decided it looks nice. They've always been a pain in the ***, but people still wear them because....why? Because it's always been that way? Because the other guy does? Makes no sense.

People like Burnadell and my dad say, "because some situations call for us to look nicer." I don't think suits and ties look nice. I think they look stupid in 2018, and I think they looked stupid in 1985.

I clearly don't work in corporate America, if I did I'd strap on the monkey suit just like everyone else...but I don't believe the lord requires I be miserable, or minds if I wear starched jeans and a pressed shirt to church.

I’m as “pro” blue jeans as they come but a good suit is way more comfortable than starched jeans.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #146
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I’m as “pro” blue jeans as they come but a good suit is way more comfortable than starched jeans.

Understandable, but as long as the suit requires a tie, I'll take my jeans. I can't stand to have something even snug around my neck… It makes me nauseous.Nevermind those ugly slick bottom shoes.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #147
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Understandable, but as long as the suit requires a tie, I'll take my jeans. I can't stand to have something even snug around my neck… It makes me nauseous.Nevermind those ugly slick bottom shoes.

Haha I enjoy it all minus the tie every once in a while but even threw on a tie for daddy daughter date but it sure came off quick as it could. Almost chokes a man as bad as a wedding ring
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #148
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Every grown man should own at least one suit, tie, and know how to tie it.

When I grow up I'm gonna learn.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #149
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I can't deal with anything touching my throat. I've only worn them at weddings and some funerals. I had someone else tie it for me.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #150
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibow View Post
It's tough being a double agent sometimes....
I got a chuckle out of that

I hate ties with a passion, and refuse to wear one unless I'm singing at a wedding, funeral, or at church...but I can tie one in the dark. My brother was Mr. GQ back in his teenage years and 20's, and made sure I knew how to tie a tie, but I still hate wearing one
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top