Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #201
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
Very cool so many different people lived on one hill over so many years, esp. paleo. Be careful of what you may uncover..........
Im quite excited at the possibilities of what we might uncover. A lady i know asked me if it didnt make me feel bad to dig into that site that had laid there for 12000 years.
My thought process is this.... The old Indian that posessed that Plainview undoubtedly cherished it for its art and beauty. No doubt it was a prized item to be shown and had great value. I can just guarantee you that if he could see 10,000 years into the future and watch me find his treasure that had gone unappreciated for that long, he would have smiled to see me whooping and yelling as I felt then same feelings he would have felt as he held that point and admired the perfect flaking and transparent stone.
By the way I have Cherokee and Kickapoo blood in me. My great great grandfather Jim Barclay donated the land for the Alabama/Caoshatta reservation in Livingston.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #202
CLW
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Awesome thread.
CLW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #203
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Very nice, you have a whole lot of history in your hand.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #204
jcbryson82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hopkins/Wood/Hunt Counties. Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Awesome thread keep em coming!
jcbryson82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #205
doole44
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady & Mertzon

Great Thread...
doole44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #206
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Edge dulling goes way up the point to the red arrows.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #207
bar2hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Im quite excited at the possibilities of what we might uncover. A lady i know asked me if it didnt make me feel bad to dig into that site that had laid there for 12000 years.
My thought process is this.... The old Indian that posessed that Plainview undoubtedly cherished it for its art and beauty. No doubt it was a prized item to be shown and had great value. I can just guarantee you that if he could see 10,000 years into the future and watch me find his treasure that had gone unappreciated for that long, he would have smiled to see me whooping and yelling as I felt then same feelings he would have felt as he held that point and admired the perfect flaking and transparent stone.
By the way I have Cherokee and Kickapoo blood in me. My great great grandfather Jim Barclay donated the land for the Alabama/Caoshatta reservation in Livingston.
Well said!
I, too, believe "treasures" are intended to be "found" to be truly appreciated.
my lineage contains Cherokee, as well.
bar2hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #208
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A tall tree

Yes sir, history is made to be preserved. People have no problem digging up dinosaur bones for preservation purposes so why should those points lay in the ground forever.
That plainview is off the hook. I have one made of rootbeer chirt with a little white tip on it I found near Charlotte. I teared up thinking about that ancestor when I found that point and the fact that no other human had held it in hundreds if not thousands of years.
rubydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #209
MarkV
Pope & Young

Not sure how i missed this but following now. Awesome thread
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #210
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
Yes sir, history is made to be preserved. People have no problem digging up dinosaur bones for preservation purposes so why should those points lay in the ground forever.
That plainview is off the hook. I have one made of rootbeer chirt with a little white tip on it I found near Charlotte. I teared up thinking about that ancestor when I found that point and the fact that no other human had held it in hundreds if not thousands of years.

Thanks Rubydog and Bar2. Finding a really rare and ancient point is emotional for me as well. when we found it, my wife was standing by the sifter. Unknown to me she started snapping pictures as I washed it and showed it to my Dad, clean. Those are special pics and shows her wisdom in taking them when she realized this was a special moment. Maybe i will post them someday.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #211
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

What a great thread!

You have inspired me to start looking on my place just north of L. Somerville and my parents place just south of the Lake. Both have creeks running through them and have high banks. o

I don't want to hi-jack this by any means but I have a question. My parents place has waterfall and corresponding permanent water hole that goes with it. But its not a spring.
It does not have is a good source of flint but does have some gravel. The question is: Does this matter that the rock source used to make artifacts is not close the creeks?

Thanks very much! We do need a sticky for this thread.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #212
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
What a great thread!

You have inspired me to start looking on my place just north of L. Somerville and my parents place just south of the Lake. Both have creeks running through them and have high banks. o

I don't want to hi-jack this by any means but I have a question. My parents place has waterfall and corresponding permanent water hole that goes with it. But its not a spring.
It does not have is a good source of flint but does have some gravel. The question is: Does this matter that the rock source used to make artifacts is not close the creeks?

No it doesnt matter. There will likely be a camp site there.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #213
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
No it doesnt matter. There will likely be a camp site there.
if you or johnny ever get down deep this way, there are bunches of points to be found on the place I hunt. I'm just not into combing but several guys do very well. I would just like to know how in the heck you spot a camp!! It all looks the same out in that desert & have no idea how they thrived in such harsh country??

We also have the very endagered star cactus (looks like peyote) which is pretty cool.

I really dig those finger nail size bird points & that first one you have in post 155...most of the ones down here retain a more basic triangular shape.

again, very cool thread...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #214
sportsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack and Parker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by glpoe1 View Post
Great thread and Great Testimony. You go Gar Guy. I will be following. My Dad and I hunted arrowheads (surface) all my life. He is gone now but when I see your post it reminds me of the many great hours we had together looking for heads. Thanks.
+1
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #215
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

Keep em coming.
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #216
KickerPoint79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood county and Mississippi

Awesome finds so far.
KickerPoint79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #217
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Such an awesome thread, been following along, I have found a handful of pieces but nothing complete. Closest I ever had to a full one was the first one I ever found it just had a slightly broken tip. Let my brother take it to school for show and tell and he dropped and broke it. I was so mad when he gave me the pieces I chunked them out in the backyard :/ I regret that
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #218
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins, Bowie, Lamar Counties

Quote:
I have been hunting points all my life to. I have been working on one mound since I was a boy. I have sifted many nice points off it. Wish I had the equipment you have, I could realy cover some ground. There are whole pots, just have to locate them with a probe first. Here is a point I found a few years back that I have not been able to classify, do you know what it is? Its unlike anything else I have found at this site. Most all my sites were caddoe camps. I find my paleo points in the north sulphur river.
COPPERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #219
leasecommander
Ten Point

Looks like a Gower to me.
leasecommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #220
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Could be an ensor or a Frio also. Where did it come from?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #221
HappyM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Crazy good thread.
HappyM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #222
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

Quote:
Could be an ensor or a Frio also. Where did it come from?
Hopkins County. Off Whiteoak Creek.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #223
jbird77
Ten Point

Hunt In: The strangest places

I know you've done the math on here, but I still can't wrap my head around how there are so many points in one location. I've never found and arrowhead and wouldn't even know how to get started. It just amazes me how you located such an area and had so much belief in it that you bought it just to dig. I love this thread. When I think of buying property, it's to retire on!! Keep it up, I'm lovin it!
jbird77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #224
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks, I have been plesantly surprised at how well it has been recieved. Not sure why I posted it. I generally shy away from sensitive stuff on open forums.

"dum vivimus vivamus"

thanks for sharing
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #225
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Headed out to dig!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #226
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: llano

Quote:
Headed out to dig!
good luck. drink lots of water. gonna be toasty.
dragonsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #227
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
What a great thread!

it may very well have been a spring back before our voracious water use. wells have reduced the levels of underground water making many springs only seasonal, and others not at all. sounds like you have a great site, as long as it is above flood stages.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #228
dragonsdaddy
Ten Point

Quote:
WHOOO HOOOOOOO! Finally got out there and started digging about 630pm. Was still digging way down off the main site tto complete my drainage. The first couple of buckets didnt show much and I was really wanting to dig somewhere else but i knew i needed to clean this spot up so it would drain. Next buck got me about 4ft deep and i saw an obvious pile of ancient charcoal. I put that bucket in the sifter and went back and got another bucket of the same material. I killed the loader and walked to the sifter to see what was showing. as i walked up, Dad grabbed a long sleek Plainview from the screen and handed it to me still coated in dirt! I quickly washed it and he asked if it was damaged. NO IT WASNT!!!! It was flawless except the base wasnt perfectly symetrical! It is so thin that you can see through it and some of the best ancient workmanship i have ever seen.
After a little celebration, we started digging again and found several more really nice whole points although most were shallower than the Plainview. These came from dirt I didnt even want to sift!
all the other points look worse for the comparison. the plainview is so nice.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #229
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Update. I worked on one problem after another this evening and finally got my crap together. I needed to cut a drainage ditch for our first hole so i started working on it. I had the sifter set up and ready so my Dad says ,"Lets just sift the stuff you are digging out ffor the ditch." Now i was on the very edge of the site and didnt think it was worth sifting but it was only 30 minutes till dark so i poured it in the sifter.
We found more than i expected although most of it was rough. We found five or six decent points including a nice Langtry and a killer marshall plus a 5 gallon bucket of chips and scrapers.
Now thats cool.... worth all the diesel
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #230
azle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephens county on PK

Well you have my interest, we have a natural spring on our lease. Cedar creek also feeds PK lake on the lease. I am going to start looking hard, I just don't know the tale tell signs of what to look for. Guess I will just dig and look! Great thread very interesting!

Azle
azle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #231
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by azle View Post
Well you have my interest, we have a natural spring on our lease. Cedar creek also feeds PK lake on the lease. I am going to start looking hard, I just don't know the tale tell signs of what to look for. Guess I will just dig and look! Great thread very interesting!

Azle
Look for the closest area that is out of the floodplain. There are usually a hill or rise near creekbottoms. Search for chips of flint and you should be able to tell pretty quick if there was a camp.
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #232
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

more pics!
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #233
HEADHUNTER71
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CREW TX,ABILINE TX

this is still an awsome thread!
HEADHUNTER71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #234
azle
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephens county on PK

Thank you Mr. Mercer!
azle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #235
chief262
Ten Point

Hunt In: Evant- In Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by azle View Post

Azle
Sent a PM.
chief262 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #236
redoak77
Six Point

Hunt In: In Texas

What is the total on points? This is really a good thread
redoak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #237
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well i just got in. This was my first full day of digging. I didnt get a count but WELL over 200 points today alone! I just took pics of some of the more interesting stuff but there were a LOT of nice points.

I found a big double fluted blade. Not sure what it is. Where is Johnny when you need him?
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #238
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

That's amazing.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #239
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Wow!!
Archery1st is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #240
COPPERHEAD
Pope & Young

You had an awsome day! Found any celts or grooved axes on this site yet? You are living the life brother
Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #241
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
You had an awsome day! Found any celts or grooved axes on this site yet? You are living the life brother
Not from this site. I have uhhh several....
Old 06-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #242
bowtecmike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent County, SA St Park

wow, this thread is like Christmas everytime I come back to it.
Congrats again.
bowtecmike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #243
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Please please please keep updating like you have been, I check in on this everyday and it all blows my mind. I hope to one day have a collection just half the size as just one of your picture updates.
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #244
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

That plainview type looks to be made out of very beautiful material. A really nice piece indeed!

Your latest haul obviously is mostly woodland type points but a couple of pieces look like andice to me. The white one with the long stem looks like one but is missing it's wings and the ears were reworked? Also, that reddish piece looks like it could possibly be a blank for an andice perhaps? I say that because of the shape and I can easily see that being worked into one very easily. Interesting pieces for sure garguy!

Keep em coming my man.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #245
CLW
Eight Point

Hunt In: South TX

Outstanding - best thread ever!! More, please!
CLW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #246
bowtechfoster
Four Point

Cool
bowtechfoster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #247
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

This is so Dang Cool.... to follow this is Great!!!!!!!
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #248
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

wow aint that some cool finds!!
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #249
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
That plainview type looks to be made out of very beautiful material. A really nice piece indeed!

Your latest haul obviously is mostly woodland type points but a couple of pieces look like andice to me. The white one with the long stem looks like one but is missing it's wings and the ears were reworked? Also, that reddish piece looks like it could possibly be a blank for an andice perhaps? I say that because of the shape and I can easily see that being worked into one very easily. Interesting pieces for sure garguy!

Keep em coming my man.
Never thought of that being an Andice blank. I have found Andice in this site. I found another Andice barb yesterday.

Later... gotta go dig!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #250
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird77 View Post
I know you've done the math on here, but I still can't wrap my head around how there are so many points in one location. I've never found and arrowhead and wouldn't even know how to get started. It just amazes me how you located such an area and had so much belief in it that you bought it just to dig. I love this thread. When I think of buying property, it's to retire on!! Keep it up, I'm lovin it!
This X10!
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top