Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #51
JRL
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ezzell

awesome thread!
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micks View Post
awesome thread!
X2
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #53
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Do you do this for a living, or money? seems like tons of work and money for fun. I had no clue people actually went to that much trouble to get artifacts
Its kinda hard to say what I do for a living..... I guide and outfit some. Monster gar and alligators. Made the best selling bowfishing video in history (LET EM ROLL) and then a sequel STILL ROLLIN. Run a airboat with a 750hp 572 to do environmental work. Do a few deer hunts and hog hunts. Dabble in the oil industry, Hunt indian artifacts......etc.

I guess you could just say I LIVE for a living. I will share a little. I worked a very high profile job for years. Managed hundreds of direct employees (735) at my last site. Worked 100plus hour weeks on AVERAGE! Got sick and doc told I was a dead man. I actually did die several times. They called all my family in and told me by. Thats when it hit me that i had worked all these years with all these dreams and now I was not going to get to do any of it.

I gave it all to GOD that day and immediately started improving even though the Dr said i never would. That was 13 years ago this week. I made a list of major things I wanted to do. Seven things some of which are very private. A major excavation was one of them, The other six are done, this is the last and Im blessd that GOD allows me to get up every day and live my dreams.

Its important to realize that every day you have is one you arent promised. Live life! Thats all I can say without getting too sappy.

Steve
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #54
Tx_hombre
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford County

This is awesome. I'm watching this. Too cool
Tx_hombre is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #55
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Its kinda hard to say what I do for a living..... I guide and outfit some. Monster gar and alligators. Made the best selling bowfishing video in history (LET EM ROLL) and then a sequel STILL ROLLIN. Run a airboat with a 750hp 572 to do environmental work. Do a few deer hunts and hog hunts. Dabble in the oil industry, Hunt indian artifacts......etc.

I guess you could just say I LIVE for a living. I will share a little. I worked a very high profile job for years. Managed hundreds of direct employees (735) at my last site. Worked 100plus hour weeks on AVERAGE! Got sick and doc told I was a dead man. I actually did die several times. They called all my family in and told me by. Thats when it hit me that i had worked all these years with all these dreams and now I was not going to get to do any of it.

I gave it all to GOD that day and immediately started improving even though the Dr said i never would. That was 13 years ago this week. I made a list of major things I wanted to do. Seven things some of which are very private. A major excavation was one of them, The other six are done, this is the last and Im blessd that GOD allows me to get up every day and live my dreams.

Its important to realize that every day you have is one you arent promised. Live life! Thats all I can say without getting too sappy.

Steve

Very inspiring post GarGuy....thanks for that. I bet you got plenty of years to live as well.....Just Live. Ahhh, I like the ring to that. Might get myself a t-shirt made with that slogan.

Looks like y'all had an outstanding morning and can't wait to see what else y'all find. If you need any help on 'Just Living', give me a holler!

Good luck to y'all. Can't wait to see that big scotty pop up on that screen.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #56
Lady Archer
Ten Point

So cool!
Lady Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #57
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

more pics!!!
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
bdog14
Ten Point

Live livin' and diggin' ...I dig it!
bdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #59
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

That is a great testimony Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #60
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Good luck with the excavation. Always an interesting ordeal. My uncle in Louisiana unearthed at the time the largest known Tunica burial grounds in Louisiana. Once he unearthed everything the land owners said he never had permission to dig and years of work was taken from him. Tons of artifacts were seized and hauled away. Funny thing was.... They never had any problem with him being on the property until they realized he wasn't some old nut they thought was crazy when he told them he had foind what others had been searching for over a long period of time.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #61
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Very inspiring post GarGuy....thanks for that. I bet you got plenty of years to live as well.....Just Live. Ahhh, I like the ring to that. Might get myself a t-shirt made with that slogan.

Looks like y'all had an outstanding morning and can't wait to see what else y'all find. If you need any help on 'Just Living', give me a holler!

Good luck to y'all. Can't wait to see that big scotty pop up on that screen.
Several of those Scotties popped up in my test digs there. One about 5.5 inches long made of jasper. Also an exhausted Andice and three or four Andice barbs. Just a matter of time... Thats why we are going to dig every inch of it instead of jumping in the middle. Dang, I want to jump in the good stuff first!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #62
Howard
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carta Valley

Very cool and great testimony. I have never dug or looked really even though living on a history rich area and farm....Wouldnt know where to begin, but I like the idea of finding history buried!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #63
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Oh yeah Johnny..... Maybe I do have plenty more years. maybe I dont. I can tell you i have lived more in the last ten years than most folks will ever live in a lifetime. If I am blessed with tomorrow, Im ready for it with a plan. If I dont have tomorrow, Im ready to go! Dieing is easy. I have done it before. Its the getting there that sucks. Death has no sting.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #64
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Good luck with the excavation. Always an interesting ordeal. My uncle in Louisiana unearthed at the time the largest known Tunica burial grounds in Louisiana. Once he unearthed everything the land owners said he never had permission to dig and years of work was taken from him. Tons of artifacts were seized and hauled away. Funny thing was.... They never had any problem with him being on the property until they realized he wasn't some old nut they thought was crazy when he told them he had foind what others had been searching for over a long period of time.
Thats why I bought this site.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #65
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:

Steve

This may be one of the most inspiring things I have ever read on the GS. Thank you sir
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #66
Dugie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ireland, TX

Quote:

Steve

wow....awesome, God is doing some cool stuff with you, glad I got to hear about it.
Dugie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #67
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-legend-t...re-531413.html

This is why you are VERY smart for buying the site.
Leonard is my mom's brother. Always had a tad shady-ness to him
Congrats on the nice find.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #68
armadillophil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson/Ohio

Was this a known site or something you went out and searched for. I would love to do the same thing. I loved archaeology since I was a kid and took it as my electives in college. Talk about boring. I like your approach much better!!!
armadillophil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillophil View Post
Was this a known site or something you went out and searched for. I would love to do the same thing. I loved archaeology since I was a kid and took it as my electives in college. Talk about boring. I like your approach much better!!!
I have known this site for years. It certainly isnt the BEST site i hunt but it is close to home and really good soil to sift. I have at least a hundred sites that i look. When i drive down the road i look out the window and see indian sites everywhere i go!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #70
T-Bolt
Ten Point

Awesome! Congratulations!
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #71
Tedak
Four Point

Hope you are blessed on your dig as I am sure you will be, and thanks for your awesome testamony.
Tedak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #72
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell and Rusk County

About how deep does it appear to have been active??????
Roy D Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #73
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
About how deep does it appear to have been active??????
Great question! When I bought it, I thought it was about 2ft deep. It turned out to be 7 ft deep on the side of the hill next to the creek. Of course, the oldest stuff is deep.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #74
Cameron
Pope & Young

Awesome stuff, what I'd give to know the stories behind those things.

Kind of funny to think about a bunch of Native Americans just walking around dropping arrowheads all over the place.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #75
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Quote:
Great question! When I bought it, I thought it was about 2ft deep. It turned out to be 7 ft deep on the side of the hill next to the creek. Of course, the oldest stuff is deep.
Wow that camp is going to be a gajillion years old.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #76
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
Awesome stuff, what I'd give to know the stories behind those things.

Kind of funny to think about a bunch of Native Americans just walking around dropping arrowheads all over the place.
LOL! Thats not exactly how it worked. This site has stacked civilization from present to 12,000 years ago.Lets just say there were an average of 20 Indians there and each broke/lost 25 points a year(im sure it was more) plus the stashes that were lost when he died. How many brodheads wopuld you loose a year if you bowhunted to survive?

Ok..Lets stick with 25. Thats 500 per year times 12,000 years equals 6,000,000 points!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #77
Dr. D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque Co. and anyplace else I can.

I can't wait for the good stuff!!! Very inspiring story as well. 7ft...wow.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #78
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I can't wait for the good stuff!!! Very inspiring story as well. 7ft...wow.
Yeah, some paleo stuff down there. Gotta start down the hill and dig up to it though in order to let the hole drain. Otherwise my hole would be a pond when it rains. I made that mistake before.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #79
KickerPoint79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood county and Mississippi

Awesome man! I'd be thrilled with what you've already found. Can't wait to see what treasure you may find in the middle.
KickerPoint79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #80
Dr. D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque Co. and anyplace else I can.

Quote:
Yeah, some paleo stuff down there. Gotta start down the hill and dig up to it though in order to let the hole drain. Otherwise my hole would be a pond when it rains. I made that mistake before.
Yessir. Can't wait to see whats deep.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #81
76truck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quihi,Tx

Man the anticipation is killing me. This is exciting. I spent nearly a day just watching videos on youtube about excavating old indian sites.
76truck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #82
brysdad
Ten Point

So how do you know where you want to look? You said you drive down the road and see spots everywhere. What stands out to you? This is a great thread and I'll be following. Also, thanks for the testimonial.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #83
steven
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk Co

Thanks Steve, This oughta be a sticky
steven is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #84
chief262
Ten Point

Hunt In: Evant- In Camp

Spent many hours in Coryell, Hamilton, Lampasas and Mills counties looking. Can't image the possibilities of a virgin camp in sand.
chief262 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #85
Roy D Mercer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
So how do you know where you want to look? You said you drive down the road and see spots everywhere. What stands out to you? This is a great thread and I'll be following. Also, thanks for the testimonial.
Permanent water source is #1 I'm guessing the creek he is referring to is spring fed. Looks as though he is digging on a hill next to the creek. That's how we find camps here in cen-tex.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #86
Wudstix
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a Tripod usually or Ground Blind.
Cool

Good stuff Just Live!!!!
Wudstix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #87
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

best live hunt in a long time...i'm a fan!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #88
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy D Mercer View Post
Permanent water source is #1 I'm guessing the creek he is referring to is spring fed. Looks as though he is digging on a hill next to the creek. That's how we find camps here in cen-tex.
Right on the nose. There is a good spring fed creek that runs into a major creek about a quarter mile from there. The key to finding sites is to find a spot of ground close enough to a permanent water supply that you could carry water in a clay jar or skin bag, yet high enough that it doesnt flood. On plowed ground, a site will be gray looking in sand and lighter looking in black land.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #89
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Yessir. Can't wait to see whats deep.
Well i know there is Plainview, Scottsbluff, and Andice, Lots of Wells points with heavy grinding too.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #90
Deb
Pope & Young

This is a great read. Your testimony is awesome.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #91
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
This is a great read. Your testimony is awesome.
Thanks, I have been plesantly surprised at how well it has been recieved. Not sure why I posted it. I generally shy away from sensitive stuff on open forums.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #92
Keith
Administrator

Awesome, I'll be following this one!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #93
jrwest66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oatmeal, Tx

All this is so cool!
jrwest66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #94
Concho Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mertzon, TX

Awesome thread for sure. Can't wait to see what you find.
Concho Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #95
Cam-Mac
Pope & Young

In!
Cam-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #96
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Gar Guy great testimony. I really needed to hear that.Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing it.
Awesome dig and I predict that this will be the thread of the year.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #97
Bhuntinfishn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County, Priddy Texas

Lots of nice ones!
Bhuntinfishn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #98
glpoe1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry Co.

Great thread and Great Testimony. You go Gar Guy. I will be following. My Dad and I hunted arrowheads (surface) all my life. He is gone now but when I see your post it reminds me of the many great hours we had together looking for heads. Thanks.
glpoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #99
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Very cool!!! Tuned in!!!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #100
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
more pics!!!

X2
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top