Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County
Default Western extreme t.v. show

Jim Burnworth just smoked a mountain Kudu at 105 yards. Man that dude can shoot. best shot of all Tv dudes.
Krivoman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

That episode was the one that turned me off to him. He is a helluva shot though.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Krivoman
Pope & Young

why did it turn you off to him? Just curious. I have seen him make shot after shot at long range.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

That was the first one over 50 I saw him take. To me That is as unethical as it gets. At 20 yards all it takes is an animal to turn a little or start to step. At that range the chances of a bad hit are a lot more. If he were a bowhunter his goal would be to get close. Lost all respect for him as a hunter when I saw that. He is no longer recorded or watched.

Pretty sure he doesn't care though.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #5
goldtip5575
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.

The dude can definitely shoot. His equipment is very well tuned. That arrow at 105 yards flew like a Lazer.
goldtip5575 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

it is quite common to shoot Elk, Moose & Mule deer at 70+ yards out west. I doubt that he would have taken a shot at a Springbok (or whitetail) from that range.....but the look is not good as most people are not skilled enough to pull this off......
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
goldtip5575
Eight Point

The Wells guy that hosts Relentless Pursuit is another guy that shoots pretty well
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #8
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

I enjoy burnworths show. Seems like a good guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
longhorn_cop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #9
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Ain't nothin with today's equipment
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #10
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

I agree with above.. Tim Wells may have something to say about that since he doesn't even use a sight
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #11
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
That was the first one over 50 I saw him take. To me That is as unethical as it gets. At 20 yards all it takes is an animal to turn a little or start to step. At that range the chances of a bad hit are a lot more. If he were a bowhunter his goal would be to get close. Lost all respect for him as a hunter when I saw that. He is no longer recorded or watched.

you might be a little over critical of him. I would never shoot over 30 on a whitetail but would shoot 75-80 yards on an elk. depends on the animal. A big animal standing at 100 yards is not gonna jump the string. more than likely gonna do just what that Kudu did. stand there and not know it was coming. plus he was able to gage how jumpy these animals were while stalking. do I think everyone should takes these shots, No. but this guy practices and can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards. so if you have a calm animal and the correct wind and conditions I am ok with it. I have friends and have seen many a the that could not hit a tennis ball at 20 yards. :-)

Last edited by Krivoman; 02-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #12
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Great shot indeed but Tim Wells is the GOAT!!!!!
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
you might be a little over critical of him. I would never shoot over 30 on a whitetail but would shoot 75-80 yards on an elk. depends on the animal. A big animal standing at 100 yards is not gonna jump the string. more than likely gonna do just what that Kudu did. stand there and not know it was coming. plus he was able to gage how jumpy these animals were while stalking. do I think everyone should takes these shots, No. but this guy practices and can hit a tennis ball at 100 yards. so if you have a calm animal and the correct wind and conditions I am ok with it. I have friends and have seen many a the that could not hit a tennis ball at 20 yards. :-)
This^^^^^^^
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Not a huge fan of his shows but the guy is a great shot with a bow.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Too many things can happen before a 290fps arrow can get there, plus factor in the brain-to-release time, and you get a scene that won't make it to the tv episode. Besides that, it encourages others to do the same. My two cents, YMMV !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Miller
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Laredo

He is an amazing shot and a self proclaimed archery nerd with his equipment. If you follow him much then you would know that he practices at this distance and has shot a lot of animals at longer ranges. There is probably better archery shooters (competition) than him, but when it comes to hunting scenarios it would be hard pressed to find many better than him. He gets a little goofy at times, but I love his passion for archery and wanting to help and teach others.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Great shot indeed but Tim Wells is the GOAT!!!!!

I like Jim, but he doesnt hold a candle to Tim Wells that ole boy can shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:

You ever hunted out West? Would I shoot at a spooky whitetail at that distance nope. But a bedded muley or calm feeding muley or elk is gonna catch an arrow within 80 yards. Just because you cant do it doesnít mean its unethical for others.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Heck of a shot! If I could consistently make them, I'd be taking them too. After listening to a lot of hunting podcasts and guys that are really good with a bow, long shots aren't all that uncommon anymore. Listening to guys like Aron Snyder talk about how he can group arrows at 100 yards convinces me that some people can just flat out shoot. So if they can ethically do it, more power to them.

Last edited by Saltyag15; 02-13-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Been there and done that, but many years ago when I shot all the time and practiced at long distances. An animal jumping the string at distance over 50 yards is probably minimal due to the fact the the noise of the bow is not going to be as loud at long distances as it is at 20 to 30 yards. Besides on game like elk or a Kudu, you could be looking at a kill zone of 16"x16". My longest was on an antelope in NM. Never knew I was there, got him ranged at 91 yards an he got an arrow thru the heart! Would I try it today, NO WAY as i do not shoot as much as I use to and do not practice at the longer ranges anymore. For Burnworth, more power to him.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
RR 314
Ten Point

To speak about unethical, my first bow kill was a whitetail at about 75 yards (stepped off by my dad--no rangefinders then) with a Browning Drake Flightmaster compound when I was 12. No sights. No release. No nothing. Just luck. Could have been a disaster. Generally don't watch hunting shows, but sounds like this guy is as good at 100 yards at I am at 35.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #22
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Burnworth is easily one of the best hunters on TV (not just one of the best shooters). He's one of the few that I enjoy watching.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
ShaBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: A Tree

Out of a well tuned bow with consistent practice some can shoot as well at 100yds as your average shot shoots a bow at 40yds!

Last edited by ShaBow; 02-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
ShaBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #24
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krivoman View Post
This. Kudu doesn't jump the string. And it has really big vitals.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #25
goldtip5575
Eight Point

Levi Morgan is another TV guy that can shoot lights out. Again, today's equipment and technology definitely plays a part, but these type of guys shoot more in 1 day, than most of us shoot in a year :-) They know their stuff
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

I'd bet a pay check more animals get hit poorly at long range than short. Those TV guys don't show the gut shot lost ones.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'd bet a pay check more animals get hit poorly at long range than short. Those TV guys don't show the gut shot lost ones.

And I would bet mine that more are wounded by bow hunters than rifle hunters every year if your that scared to death of wounding a deer you need to pick up a rifle as things can still go wrong inside of 20 yards with a bow.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #28
Bowhica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano-ish

I followed the show for years but have fallen away in recent months. Again, great shot, but that dang lisp just keeps getting worse!!!

He also jumped on the "bring your daughter to work" wagon. Good job Jim......good job.
Bowhica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #29
ShaBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: A Tree

Quote:

Its up to each individual to know their shooting limitations no matter the weapon depending on practice and experience. I would like to think most of the bowhunters taking shots past 50yds have both of those things and know that its a high % shot for them if they decide to take it or at least thats been the case for the bowhunters I've been around with long range ability.

Last edited by ShaBow; 02-13-2018 at 01:07 PM.
ShaBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #30
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Quote:

Hell they gut shoot them at 20yrds. Look how many tracking dog requests are on here from people who donít shoot over 30 yrds. Everyoneís skill level is different so donít be a hater

gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #31
billfromtx
Pope & Young

He shot a baseball at 100 yards at a MLB pre-game show one time and had it on one of his shows...Dude can shoot.
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #32
JeffK
Ten Point

He probably shoots better at 100 yards than some on here at 20 yards.
JeffK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #33
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:

90% of the TV show guys seem to only shoot deer in the guts, and they show it. That's apparently the only footage they have to show. They shoot, then fist bump the camera man, "Smoked him!!". Then they review the footage and say, "The hit was a little back, so we're gonna back out and come back tomorrow."
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #34
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Thumbs down Ethics

Am I against people taking those long shots? Not always. Am I against people filming those long shots for the masses? Always. Video you're gonna show to your circle of friends, sure. Video you're going to make available to all of the sheeple in the world, no. Just my $.02
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #35
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I've seen that episode and enjoy watching his show. Long shots on tv are fine IMO. Every archer should know their own limits.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #36
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
And I would bet mine that more are wounded by bow hunters than rifle hunters every year if your that scared to death of wounding a deer you need to pick up a rifle as things can still go wrong inside of 20 yards with a bow.

Very doubtful. Hunted next tor rifle leases for years and we would hear a shot, hear the impact and when we all got back to the shared camp we would ask what they shot. 99.99% said we shot but did not kill anything. We would say, yes we heard the hit and would go back to the area and find a dead deer fairly close, but not in view of the blind. these guys thought that if the deer did not drop at the shot, they did not even look.

Lots of gun hunters that have no business in the field hunting with a rifle.
Believe me, I saw some of the worst of the worst when I guided hunts in NM for 4+ years and to see so called hunters show up without having a rifle or even sighting one in. these were not cheap hunts back then either.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #37
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

The Hunting Public has instantly become my favorite group to follow. They are the real deal when it comes to a group of young average guys hunting public land and showcase it on film very well. If you haven't heard of them, check them out on youtube or fb. I relate to their style and methods of hunting more than any of that other "big name/business" tv shows
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top