Hunting camps on generators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting camps on generators?

We are considering a new lease with no elec/water. The no water is no issue, but wanting input from those that have to use generators for power. We have a 26-27ft travel trailer and got a 4000/3500w generator. How much gas do folks usually go through in a weekend? Any particulars about how you set yours up, or how its use it to conserve fuel?

We just bought a camper to use in parks and boondocking. But one of the things we are going to get hooked up is solar stuff. There's a thread on here I believe e by Brazos Hunter who talks about his solar system.

Comment

I get about 10 hours run time with my Harbor Freight generator, I think it holds 4.5 gallons. That's not running A/C or anything. I tend to cook a lot of crock pot meals at the lease so that is usually all that is drawing power.

Comment

If you have a 30 amp plug on your trailer then your generator will handle it. However, you probably won't be able to run the AC, microwave and coffee pot at the same time.

I camped at my last deer lease just like this. I hardly ever ran the generator during the day but I did run it at least 12 hours every night and used around 5-6 gallons every night. All generators are not the same though. Look yours up and you should find the run time on a 50% load.

Comment

That's all we have ever had for power at the lease. My recommendation is get an inverter style. You will save gas and it's quiet enough you can enjoy sitting around camp without listening to the generator rattle.

Comment

Get the inverter style then immediately convert it to prophane. My Honda 6500 super quiet runs cooler and depending on the load will run 12 + / - hours on a ( bbq pit ) size tank of prophane. Prophane burns cleaner and you can store it indefinitely no spilling while fueling no mess hauling spare tanks.

Good Luck

Comment

Depends on the generator size and if it auto throttles and how you manage it

With two EU2000 is go through 6 gallons a weekend.
              With a 15k diesel I’d go through 12 gals

Comment

Go to Tractor Supply and buy one of the yellow champion generators. I use a lot of generators, and for the size, these are the very best out there. It takes 3 1/2 gallons of gas and can run 9-14 hours depending on what you have running. Also change the oil every other weekend before you leave and don't leave gas in it when you go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  Depends on the generator size and if it auto throttles and how you manage it

With a 15k diesel I’d go through 12 gals
                  A day or for the weekend? What brand if that is for the weekend?

Comment

we are on generators and we have a little 2000 that we run the majority of the time which will run our A/C and coffee pot with the lights on but not much more. We also have a 5000 and a 9000 but really never need that much

We run through maybe 5 gallons of gas in a 3 day period running 24 hours a day. We have a little vented and insulated house that it lives in behind the cabin, it stays protected and we can't hear it

We have our water system on a battery with a solar panel and will add to the battery and panel bank this summer to be generator free when it gets cold this fall and winter.

Comment

Was wondring the same thing. I will be relying on a generator for power this year also. I have a 5500 power pro generator. I have run the camper with it a bit only to see if it would be able to run the AC. Not trying to high jack this thread, but anyone have any ideas on sound dampening mechanisms. Mufflers, covers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                        Was wondring the same thing. I will be relying on a generator for power this year also. I have a 5500 power pro generator. I have run the camper with it a bit only to see if it would be able to run the AC. Not trying to high jack this thread, but anyone have any ideas on sound dampening mechanisms. Mufflers, covers etc.
                        I built a "house" for ours and its about 12 feet behind the cabin, with our 5000 and 9000 generator you can hear a bit but not much at all. It is vented on the bottom and the top with a insulated walls to absorb the sound. If it is a super hot and no wind day we leave the door open for more air flow but we usually have a pretty fair wind.

Comment

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing but the heat was a concern. My lease is in Webb county and I plan on spending quite a bit of time down there in the summer keeping my areas clean. And 100+ degree days are extremely common down there. Maybe I'll incorporate a fan in the project for increased ventilation.

Comment

Get one with remote start, get in bed use a buddy heater. Push the botton to turn it off. Wake up push the botton, instant power

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              This is exactly what I was thinking about doing but the heat was a concern. My lease is in Webb county and I plan on spending quite a bit of time down there in the summer keeping my areas clean. And 100+ degree days are extremely common down there. Maybe I'll incorporate a fan in the project for increased ventilation.
                              We are in Bandera and ours gets worked on some pretty hot days, we have room for a fan. It is a quite bigger than our biggest generator so that it's not a hot box

Comment

Working...
                              X