No announcement yet.

PSA: Blue Buffalo dog food recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I order from Amazon...it's Prime so I get it in 2 days.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

U won't find it at Wal-Mart. I get it from a local feed store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Purina Pro is what we are feeding the bird dog. https://www.proplan.com/

We also have a pug with a weight issue so he gets Science Diet blend. Stuff is pricey but helps with his weight and his movement.

She said for basically all general needs, Iams is great base dog food without a ton of filler or garbage in it, if you cannot afford Purina or Science Diet. Had a lab live 14 great years on Iams so I'm sold on it once the bird dog stops being a puppy.

Comment

WItoTX - I'd go ahead and say that you are wrong about the " far more natural" aspect of this food. It is way to high in fat content. Your dogs may be fine now, but keep feeding them that food and you will see serious health issues starting around 5-6 years old. I would suggest you ask a few people who have a Dr. in front of their name before you spread bad information. Not trying to be ***, but if you eat a bacon burger everyday, you'll be ok for a while, but eventually you'll have a heart attack with that much fat in your diet. Same goes for dogs.

Comment

Exclusive Lamb and Brown Rice, it's what's for dinner, but it ain't cheep.

Comment

I've had to do a TON of research on dog foods & their ingredients, and I like several foods by Victor (headquartered and manufactured in Mt. Pleasant, TX!), Taste of the Wild, Fromm, and Merrick. However, I choose Taste of the Wild - Pacific Salmon flavor because it's grain free, is available from my local TSC stores (and if it's not at TSC I can get it thru amazon prime for about $1 more per 30lb bag), and it's priced right being in the mid-high range. It is a small kibble and has a good protein/fat ratio for my fickle GSP. She's skin and bones and points/runs in my backyard all day but if I give her anything above about 28% protein content her bowels become liquid and she will pass the food too quickly.

Believe me, I'm no vet nor do I claim to be an expert (at dog food anyways LOL). My yellow "I will eat anything you put in front of me" labrador had Panosteitis when he was young and at the time my vet thought it could be food related. Hence my decade long study of dog foods.

Another good attribute is that it seems both of my dogs SHED LESS year around than when I've fed other foods lower quality. I suspect you'd see those same type of results from any grain free, fish-based protein diet from the higher end brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                Purina Pro is what we are feeding the bird dog. https://www.proplan.com/

We also have a pug with a weight issue so he gets Science Diet blend. Stuff is pricey but helps with his weight and his movement.

She said for basically all general needs, Iams is great base dog food without a ton of filler or garbage in it, if you cannot afford Purina or Science Diet. Had a lab live 14 great years on Iams so I'm sold on it once the bird dog stops being a puppy.
                sorry man, I was with you until you said you're feeding your dog purina pro. I don't feed blue buffalo, but there is no way blue buffalo is worse than purina pro.

Comment

I feed my dogs NULO. It's made by the hippies up in Austin. I buy it on Chewy.com and it is shipped directly to my door automatically each month. It's incredibly convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Where do y'all find that ?

Our local feed stores sell it.

Hi-Pro Plus is the top seller in Victor’s line.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                      sorry man, I was with you until you said you're feeding your dog purina pro. I don't feed blue buffalo, but there is no way blue buffalo is worse than purina pro.
                      Actually had a vet tell me 4 years ago the he feeds his dog purina pro..told me not to use BB (he called it a scam). He mentioned the two brands he sold at his practice were good, then called them to pricy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                        Actually had a vet tell me 4 years ago the he feeds his dog purina pro..told me not to use BB (he called it a scam). He mentioned the two brands he sold at his practice were good, then called them to pricy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I don't care what he feeds his dog. Google some stories on purina pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Parramore View Post
                          WItoTX - I'd go ahead and say that you are wrong about the " far more natural" aspect of this food. It is way to high in fat content. Your dogs may be fine now, but keep feeding them that food and you will see serious health issues starting around 5-6 years old. I would suggest you ask a few people who have a Dr. in front of their name before you spread bad information. Not trying to be ***, but if you eat a bacon burger everyday, you'll be ok for a while, but eventually you'll have a heart attack with that much fat in your diet. Same goes for dogs.
                          M dogs are 8 and 9 right now. They don't lay around. We are out and moving, working 5 days a week. The fat and protein is what they need. Before this, they were on Science Diet High energy, which is far higher in fat than BB. At that point, we were running 20+ miles a week. If we had been on cheaper food, they would have eaten more than double to get the protein and fat they needed to keep weight on.

Also, the recall was related to wet dog food. The BB wilderness stuff is good for dogs as well.

My dogs get bloodwork done routinely. My pointer for example, has Addison's Disease. So she gets blood tested twice a year. Every reading she has, she is in exemplary health (Except Na, K, and Cl). So her health is tracked. Not trying to be an *** but they aren't eating cheeseburgers every day.

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                            I've had to do a TON of research on dog foods & their ingredients, and I like several foods by Victor (headquartered and manufactured in Mt. Pleasant, TX!), Taste of the Wild, Fromm, and Merrick. However, I choose Taste of the Wild - Pacific Salmon flavor because it's grain free, is available from my local TSC stores (and if it's not at TSC I can get it thru amazon prime for about $1 more per 30lb bag), and it's priced right being in the mid-high range. It is a small kibble and has a good protein/fat ratio for my fickle GSP. She's skin and bones and points/runs in my backyard all day but if I give her anything above about 28% protein content her bowels become liquid and she will pass the food too quickly.

Believe me, I'm no vet nor do I claim to be an expert (at dog food anyways LOL). My yellow "I will eat anything you put in front of me" labrador had Panosteitis when he was young and at the time my vet thought it could be food related. Hence my decade long study of dog foods.

Another good attribute is that it seems both of my dogs SHED LESS year around than when I've fed other foods lower quality. I suspect you'd see those same type of results from any grain free, fish-based protein diet from the higher end brands.
                            "Shed Less"...I am now going to check it out. I hate cleaning tile floors every other day from March til October haha

Comment

this explains a lot. the breeder I got my new lab pup from started the dogs off on Blue Buffalo and then they all ended up with stomach issues and we had to put them on some medicine and switch food.

We ended up on Hills, which so far had been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                                this explains a lot. the breeder I got my new lab pup from started the dogs off on Blue Buffalo and then they all ended up with stomach issues and we had to put them on some medicine and switch food.

We ended up on Hills, which so far had been great.
                                Our breeder started ours on BB as well. Never seemed to get a consistent result from the pup (American Bulldog). We switched to Fromm's because of the grain free and large amount of protein.

Comment

Working...
                                X