Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      Buy a press and start tinkering
      Seriously!!

Yep.

Comment

Welcome to the green screen.

I learned what I know from taking stuff apart and putting it back together and reading alot. I built my own bow press and string jig to allow me to do my own work. There is a wealth of information on the internet at the manufacturer websites and some of the archery forums. Archery Talk has some very knowledgeable people sharing 'how tos' in some of their forums. I would also learn everything about your own bow such as how to tune it, maintain it, restring it, set nock height, set the center shot, adjust the sight, as you can.

You might want to check out the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. In it you will get pointers on form, release, arrow spine, and all of the other science involved to get an arrow from point a to point b. This book is about traditional archery but it is a good basis in knowledge for any archer. Once you have the basic knowledge you can transition into compound bows and start learning about the proper set up of mechanical enhanced stick and strings.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          Buy a press and start tinkering
          Seriously!!
          Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          Yep.
          Only thing I would suggest in addition to this is buy a few garage sale compounds to start on. That way if you crunch one in a press it is not a big loss

Comment

I've been told if you buy a Hoyt you will have to become a bow technician

Comment

All guys I've asked said it was OJT. Offer to help out at an archery store for 3 months. The worst the owner can say is 'no thanks son'.

Comment

It is very interesting to me and I'm tired of going to the pro shop where I live for the littlest things when I could probably do it at home.
                I don't really trust myself to watch YouTube videos and try and fix stuff myself.
                In my experience, these two things cannot coexist.

Most bow technicians become technicians because they are not afraid to tinker and they gain a lot of experience (good and bad) because of it.

Unfortunately, too many young people today are either afraid to tinker with stuff, or have never been poor enough to need to. We're losing a lot of our mechanics because of it, in every area.

Jump in there and get your feet wet. Volunteer at a bow shop. Sweep the range in exchange for having them show you a thing or two. That would be a good start.

And welcome to the GS and I applaud your interest in learning. That's a good thing!

Comment

Welcome .....there is tons of info out there, have the right tools and you'll see how just that simple it is to be able to fix your own bow. Best way to learn is hands on experience.

Comment

Welcome to the green screen! Like the other guys have said, hang around and LISTEN at your local. If there is an archery range or club, join it and hang on! I'm down here in Cporpus and we have a fantastic outdoor club. There is usually always someone out there with acres more shooting experience than I, and more than willing to help/teach someone new to the sport.

and "The Nuts and Bolts of Archery" is a must!

Good luck, and if your interested we are hosting one more 3D tournament before bow season opens up (WHICH IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!!!!!).

Comment

thanks for all the help. i guess i wil lcall fred at the bow shop here in san antonio or viking archery in canyon lake

Comment

Fred's real nice guy ....very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          Yep.
                          x2

That and be around with guys who knows how to work on bows at the shop or private resident that has his own equipment is a great way. It's great offseason practice cause you can try several different things on a bow(s) and learn about it's personality and the pro/con of it and still have time to set it up even better for hunting season without feeling rushed like the 1000 people that come in a week before season needing DL adjusted, peep tied in, bow tuned,etc. I've done archery for 28yrs and things have changed a lot but the basics of the bow setup are still the same. I hung out with guys that were tinkerer and had equipment to break a bow down and make changes and asked lots of questions and paid close attention to details.

Comment

Working...
                          X