Arrow setup comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow setup comparison

So, I think I'm down to splitting hairs here, and I hope I didn't go too crazy on being heavy like this, but here is where I am.

60lb Obsession Turmoil RZ @ 28"

Arrow is a VAP 350 with 95gr SS insert/outserts. 7" wrap and 3 fletched AAE Max Stealths.

With 150gr heads(498gr total) I'm shooting 236 fps which = 61 ft lbs of KE and .521 slugs with 19.1% FOC

With 125gr heads(474gr total weight) I'm at 243fps which = 62ft lbs of KE and .511 slugs with 17.4% FOC

Any suggestions on which way to go? I'm thinking of sticking with the 150s for the increased momentum.

Just for a comparison for the light and fast crowd, a 340gr arrow was right around 280 with KE @ 59ft lbs and .42 slugs. So you don't lose much in the way of KE with a lighter, faster arrow, but that's a pretty big difference in momentum.
    Last edited by quackadikt; 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM.

With a good head either will work Now the best way to pick. Would be one is fletched and one bare shaft.

Set bow up with no tuning. Meanings cams in sync, rest at factory center shot 13/16 for most. Level nock.

Now shoot the fletched and the bare at 20 yards with the 125. Then again with the 150. The one that groups the best between the two heads is the one 6ou go with.

What this is doing is finding the arrow with the best reaction for that set up. I wrote a paper on tip replacement tuning. I’ll post it on here tonight

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll do that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          With a good head either will work Now the best way to pick. Would be one is fletched and one bare shaft.

Set bow up with no tuning. Meanings cams in sync, rest at factory center shot 13/16 for most. Level nock.

Now shoot the fletched and the bare at 20 yards with the 125. Then again with the 150. The one that groups the best between the two heads is the one 6ou go with.

What this is doing is finding the arrow with the best reaction for that set up. I wrote a paper on tip replacement tuning. I’ll post it on here tonight
          Well, I think it'll be 125s. I was in a hurry, but I shot 2 fletched and a bareshafts(with tape added for weight to equal vanes/wraps) at 20 yards with 100, 125, and 150gr heads. 125s grouped the best with 150 being really close. 100s we're the worst by a few inches. Shot a fletched and two bareshafts through paper at 7' too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X