Dog killing my chickens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
    Long story short, my neighbors dog keeps killing my chickens. They don't keep there dogs in a fence. I have two dogs and they stay fenced in. It would be one thing if they kept there dogs fenced and the

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Had the same thing happen over the course of a month. We live in a neighborhood in the country. All on 5-10 acre lots. We had 14 chickens in our coop and when we were home would let them free range. Chickens never left our back yard area. One afternoon, (my boys were home but playing with neighbors) I get a call from my oldest saying a chicken was dead in back yard. All 4 kids said they saw another neighbor’s dog leaving our backyard a little bit before they discovered the dead chicken. No proof, so I moved on. I did setup a game camera close to coop. 2 weekends later another chicken found dead behind my house. We decided to keep them in coop for a few weeks. Let them out on sat morning before I go play golf , when I get home mid morning, my 9 year old tells me he had to chase the neighbor dog away because he saw him catch a chicken. We pinned back up. Chicken was in bad shape but still alive. I went to divisor said neighbors but they were gone. This dog has free run of the area and is not an issue other than the chickens. We get busy Sunday and don’t got see the neighbors, although we did chase the dog out of our back yard. I pulled card to see if dog was at the coop. We get home Monday from work and get ready for a last minute Ranger game trip after a buddy gave me tickets. Wife ran down to feed chickens and comes back screaming “they’re all dead”!!! Dog dug under coop fence and killed all 12. Did not eat one chicken or bite a head off. As you can imagine I’m ******. Of course neighbor isn’t home but grown son is. We explain what happened and told him to have them contact us. I call LEO buddy and he advised as above 1) contact neighbor 2) contact sheriff 3) contact animal control 4) protect my animals on my property.

Long story short. Good conversation with neighbors. I explained I would be getting more chickens within a month and I would give them until then to figure something out with the dog. I explained what I had been told and would follow those steps. I also talked about an I ground fence beciause I had used one at my previous place. They offered to pay for chickens. I declined and told them to use that money for fixing the problem. They have since installed an ingroubd fence and problem solved. Hope it works out for you. Coach

Comment

Legal to shoot them. It would suck to have to do it. You might try talking to the neighbors one more time and let them know that you're to the point that you'll have to protect your livestock if they come back on your property, but that you'd much rather them find a way to contain their dogs

Comment

SSS it is!

Comment

Kill.dog
          Haul carcus to another location
          Toss carcus out in bar ditch

Comment

Had a similar probably several years ago with my goats. Called the sheriff and they said to give them a courtesy call and give them a heads up and take care of the problem with whatever means necessary. My wife had dogs attack one of her bottle goats. She ran the dogs off, but her baby was already dead. She called me at work balling. I told her to call the sheriff and I would leave work. She said she could handle it. Dogs came back while she was on the phone with the sheriff department. Hung up on em and shot one of the dogs. Sheriff showed up and took care of everything.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

live trap and turn over to animal control

Comment

SSS if it is killing your livestock perfectly legal. And neighbors aren't courteous enough to keep dogs up after first warning, that would be last they heard about the issue and it would be addressed.

Comment

Kill the dogs!!

Comment

I had no idea dogs would just randomly kill chickens. That seems so strange to me but apparently it is not. I agree with SSS

Comment

Just to provide another perspective... If my dog was killing someone's chickens I would want to be informed before my dog got shot. I would appreciate the opportunity to replace said "dead" chickens, and I would most certainly tie a dead chicken around my dogs neck to be sure he never did it again. But, I am old school and believe in the doing the right thing. If my dog did it again I would reimburse the chickens again and re-home the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                        Just to provide another perspective... If my dog was killing someone's chickens I would want to be informed before my dog got shot. I would appreciate the opportunity to replace said "dead" chickens, and I would most certainly tie a dead chicken around my dogs neck to be sure he never did it again. But, I am old school and believe in the doing the right thing. If my dog did it again I would reimburse the chickens again and re-home the dog.
                        This has happened more than once and they are aware.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                          This has happened more than once and they are aware.

In this case, (although I HATE the thought of killing a dog for being a dog),
                          there would be a dead dog on the neighbor's wife's carhood the next time it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                            No, don't ever tell someone you're going to kill their dog. Do what you need to and leave it at that.

Right on .

Comment

Yes legal in health and safety code

kronik by Diamond
                              Last edited by TxKronik; 12-04-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X