Anybody ever used an atlatl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody ever used an atlatl?

Lately I've been looking at cold steel spears because I have the perfect setup at my stand to spear some hogs and I think that would be a blast. However, in the process of looking up spears I came across atlatls. As a result, I started researching them and they also grabbed my interest. I watched numerous videos on atlatls and the darts used on thunderbirdatlatls.com. I think I'd like to start off using a spear and then maybe progress to an atlatl. I've always wanted to try using some traditional equipment and it doesn't get much more traditional than a spear or atlatl

You've gotta be one bad MF to kill an animal with an atlatl.

Comment

Threw a spear with one maybe a dozen times a couple years ago. The guy who made it claims to have killed a cow elk with it. They are surprisingly powerful. Maybe even more than a trad bow but I couldn't hit a hay bale with it at 10 steps. I'd like to make one too if I could ever get on a lease again.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
        Threw a spear with one maybe a dozen times a couple years ago. The guy who made it claims to have killed a cow elk with it. They are surprisingly powerful. Maybe even more than a trad bow but I couldn't hit a hay bale with it at 10 steps. I'd like to make one too if I could ever get on a lease again.
        Thunderbird atlatl has some kits where you can assemble one yourself and it saves you a little money. They also have kits for assembling darts and a lot of instructional videos.

Comment

Robert Garcia at the Austin Archery club knows his stuff about atlatils . Also Zach Sarrels.

Comment

Any of them guys a TBH member?

Comment

The Austin Archery Club actually has an atlatl class at their 3D shoots. There are 3 or 4 guys who shoot in that class every month.

Sarrels Archery sells atlatls also.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
                Any of them guys a TBH member?
                Robert Garcia is a TBH member, but not sure of his TBH handle.

Bisch
                Last edited by Bisch; 11-26-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

i tried it at bob sarrels place some weeks ago. Zach showed me how to use it but it was quite difficult. but i had a blast!

killin something with it sure i a whole different story..

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                  X