Asking/Negotiating a Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking/Negotiating a Raise

I’ve worked for this company for a long time. I’ve been loyal, dependable, work my tail off, go above and beyond in most instances, and wear a lot more hats at times than what my “position” calls for. It seems like every year I get a little more thrown on my plate, which is fine. I’ve never said “no” or “I can’t handle that”. I just roll with the punches and get it done. I’m in upper management for a construction company, so if you’re in that type of position, you know how stressful things can be. The big man is a great employer, never had a bad thing to say about him and to an extent, I almost feel as if it is my company. At least that’s how I treat it. However, as time goes on, I feel as though I’m being taken advantage of to an extent. I’ve never asked for a raise in 10 years. Part of this is because I believe in the fact that an employer will pay you what they think you’re worth. I’ve always been patient and just let it happen over time. Although I received a raise this year (first in over two years), I still feel as though there is something left on the table. Perks are a company truck, fuel, and bonus, but I still feel my salary is underpaid. Yes, these perks can be added to my salary and it sounds pretty good. On the contrary, a very high percentage of people in this industry and with my position have company trucks, and I don’t look at a bonus as part of my wage as it is never a guarantee. Even though those perks are there, I feel they are are almost obsolete.

I’ve been saying for a while now that I’m going to bring it up, but my balls are sucked up pretty tight on this topic with him. He does not like these types of conversations. Then if it doesn’t go well, now I feel the business relationship may not ever be the same. I feel as though he possibly thinks I’m ok with my pay, or that maybe I’m ignorant to what my position is worth. It’s a very touchy topic.

So how would you go about negotiating?

How do you approach this type of thing?
    Last edited by Bravo; 04-30-2018, 06:38 PM.

Flat out tell him what you just said and you need a raise.

Comment

Sounds like you just wrote how you feel, now just tell him. If what you said is all true, it will be justified.

Comment

I read a tweet this week from Forbes that said 85% of people who ask for a raise get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          I read a tweet this week from Forbes that said 85% of people who ask for a raise get it.
          im in the 15 can't get what I've ready been promised 6 months ago.

Good luck OP

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

You must work where I use to

Comment

I believe in most circumstances you are the one to decide your worth and then let others know.

"In business as in life, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate".

Comment

You laid it out pretty well. Your decision is can you live with the consequences if things go sour. If so, then go speak your mind. I had to move on twice when I felt like I was being taken for granted. Once after 8+ years and once after 6+ years. It happens.

Comment

suggest just throwing some resumes around... its a lot easier to be aggressive about it when you have something to back it up with.

Comment

I was in that position a couple times. Both times for the same company. The first time I was refused a raise and I walked. They asked me back after the "mourning period" and I went back to work for them. Several years later I accepted a higher position with a " I'll pay you this much now and in six months you'll get this much more". Six months came and went, had to remind them of our deal, got some butt hurt from their end, and it was never the same. About a year later I quit and started my own business and it was the best decision of my life. YMMV

Comment

Just lay it out as you mentioned. If you're right, I bet you'll get the raise. If you're wrong, I bet you'll get some information that you may not have been aware of regarding your position, work quality or market replacement value of your position.

I've always TRIED to pay people what they think they're worth, but sometime can't get past what I think they're worth. The two don't always match up. It embarrasses me when someone asks me for a raise and they deserve it and I failed to recognize it. On the other hand, it sometimes embarrasses an employee when he fails to recognize that he's already paid what he's worth. If you're confident in your position, then you need to address it with your boss just like you explained it above. If he tells you to kick rocks, email your resume to hr@joslintexas.com.

Comment

So I’ve been in the construction industry 15 years. Raises come with promotions and contract negotiations unless you work strait hard dollar jobs. Unless you are in upper management at the rank of project manager or above then you are in a set rate without a promotion. That being said every situation and company is different, but before I swapped companies 3 times for 3 different raises I sat at the same date for 5 years. That’s construction life.

Comment

Find another gig, and see if they counter. Its business.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Just lay it out as you mentioned. If you're right, I bet you'll get the raise. If you're wrong, I bet you'll get some information that you may not have been aware of regarding your position, work quality or market replacement value of your position.

I've always TRIED to pay people what they think they're worth, but sometime can't get past what I think they're worth. The two don't always match up. It embarrasses me when someone asks me for a raise and they deserve it and I failed to recognize it. On the other hand, it sometimes embarrasses an employee when he fails to recognize that he's already paid what he's worth. If you're confident in your position, then you need to address it with your boss just like you explained it above. If he tells you to kick rocks, email your resume to hr@joslintexas.com.
                            When are you opening a branch in Leander?

Comment

As others have said, it sounds like you know what to say. Personally, at 2 different shops I asked for a raise and was turned down. Both times I thought about it and turned in my notice. I dont ask for a raise frivolously. Both times when I turned in my notice they countered with a raise. That sure changes the attitude of both parties. For me, it shows they knew they were underpaying me and appeared to be fine with that. That is no different than me not working as hard as I should if I thought I could get away with it. Just doesnt sit well with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X