Question About Fillet Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the absolute best fillet knife on the market? Cost isn't a big concern and I'm willing to consider custom knives too. I want a high-end knife that will last a lifetime.

What type of fish are you mostly going to fillet?

Comment

I bought a Bubba blade for trout and reds. No complaints yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        What type of fish are you mostly going to fillet?
        Smaller to medium sized fish such as specks, catfish, etc. I won't be using it on really big fish.

Comment

I like Rapala, they are sharp and flexible. I even have one with my processing knives for deer.

Comment

Victorinox 8" is by far my favorite fillet knife. It comes shaving sharp straight out of the box and holds an edge very well. They are also very easy to resharpen. I have tried just about every brand out there and this is the only knife I will ever use. I have cleaned thousands of fish.

Remove bones from poultry, meat, and fish with precision with this Victorinox 47613 8" flexible narrow boning knife with Fibrox handle! While this knife's narrow blade is perfect for making deep cuts and holes, its flexible design allows you to shape, denude, and seam lamb, veal, and fish with ease. Plus, the handle's contours ensure that the knife will fit comfortably in your hand as you tackle food preparation tasks.

Crafted from high-carbon stainless steel, this knife's blade is built strong to provide you with the ability to create smooth, accurate cuts. The high-quality blade won't even discolor or corrode over time. Featuring a durable, black, slip-resistant Fibrox handle, this knife is an ideal addition to the knife collection in your restaurant or catering kitchen!

Overall Dimensions:
            Blade Length: 8"

Comment

I used a bubba blade all summer of last year and had no problem filleting reds, got a dexter I just started using this year and that things a work horse. Both of them are great for reds, I use an uncle Henry for the speckled trout.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2073.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	24492963

Name:	IMG_2075.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	24492964

Name:	IMG_2074.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	24492965

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Jmsck12; 04-13-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain C View Post
                Victorinox 8" is by far my favorite fillet knife. It comes shaving sharp straight out of the box and holds an edge very well. They are also very easy to resharpen. I have tried just about every brand out there and this is the only knife I will ever use. I have cleaned thousands of fish.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vict.../35340613.html
                Victorinix makes a good knife. I use the 10" Breaking knife of hybrids/stripers. The knife you mention is great on smaller fish such as whites and crappie.

Comment

Victorinix makes a good knife. I use the 10" Breaking knife of hybrids/stripers. The knife you mention is great on smaller fish such as whites and crappie.
                  I use it for trout and redfish :-)

Comment

I catch tons of fish and these knives I mentioned all work well, I put em through their paces and they all come out asking for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use it for trout and redfish :-)
                      Does it get through the ribs on the reds? I haven't had much experience cleaning reds.

Comment

Does it get through the ribs on the reds? I haven't had much experience cleaning reds.

Yes sir.

Comment

Got a Bubba, no complaints here. Used it to butcher up a hog and it did the job quick.

Comment

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vict.../35340613.html
                            This and get a 5" for your deer/hog cleaning bag!

Comment

Feather burner and big Todd both make filet knives. I'd look at those.

Comment

Working...
                              X