Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good recipes for Cottontail (not fried plz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good recipes for Cottontail (not fried plz)

Looking for some good brazing or cream sauce recipes for cottontail! Lemme know what you've got!

Google hasenpfeffer.

Comment

If you use the search feature, you will find lots of stuff on rabbit

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ghlight=Rabbit

Comment

RABBIT SAUCE PIQUANT

1 whole rabbit
        1 large onion, diced large
        6 ribs of celery, diced large
        1 large carrots, peeled and slice ¼ inch thick
        2 bay leaf
        2 toes of garlic, leave whole
        Enough cooking oil to coat the pot

METHOD:
        Heat a large 8qt size pot with the cooking oil. Season the rabbit with salt and pepper inside and out. Brown the rabbit 10 minutes per side until a rich brown color is achieved. After the rabbit is browned all over take out and reserve, add rest of ingredients, turn heat down to med high and cook with lid on until vegetables are soft and slightly brown. Place rabbit back into pot and just enough water to cover, too much water will dilute the flavor, so just add enough to cover. Bring the pot to a simmer and cook until falling off the bone. When tender take the rabbit out of pot and pick the meat from the bones, place the meat picked free of bones in a container and reserve for later use. Strain the rabbit broth into a plastic container and reserve.

The sauce piquant
        1 stick of unsalted butter
        ½ cup of all purpose flour
        2 large onions medium dice
        6 ribs of celery medium dice
        2 large green bell pepper medium dice
        1 tbsp of chopped garlic, use more if u like garlic
        1 can of tomatoes 12 oz
        1 can of rotel 12 oz
        1 lemon zested and juiced, I like to use a microplane zester
        2 tbsp Salt, 1 tbsp pepper and hot sauce to taste, I like 2 tbsp

METHOD:
        On medium high melt the stick of butter, add ½ cup of flour and stir with a wooden spoon until you achieve a dark roux color. Turn heat down to medium and add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Place lid on pot and cook for 15 minutes, then add can tomatoes and rotel cook for 15 more minutes with lid on. Then add lemon juice, zest, bay leaf, rabbit broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes and adjust seasonings to taste before you add the rabbit. Once the rabbit is in cook for 10 minutes and it’s done. Serve over Louisiana long grain rice.

Comment

Simple recipe I've used is to season it, stuff body cavity with vegetables or whatever you like, wrap with foil and put it on the grill, smoker or campfire. Can be eating rabbit an hour after you pulled the trigger.

Comment

Use chicken stock and put it in the slow cooker. 6-8 hours on low then pull the meat like pulled pork and add BBQ sauce. Serve on Hawaiian rolls with coleslaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
              Google hasenpfeffer.
              I've seen Steve Rinella do this. Always wanted to try it, but never have.

Comment

My two favorites:
                Byron's dutch oven rabbit

And

Maltese rabbit stew

I also like 'em cooked on the grill with a little dry rub and butter baste.

Comment

This is my family's favorite - the meat is real sweet and the bacon sage dumplings are so full of flavor

since I am still a nubbie and working on being active I couldn't include my bookmarked link - but I was excited and wanted to share so google braised rabbit with bacon and sage dumplings. It is on the Epicurious site. YUMMY

Comment

Quarter and place in stubs beef marinate for about 4 hrs. min. Cook on bbq grill like you would do chicken.

Comment

Take you Rabbit cut it up, get a box of stove top stuffing mix, can of Cream of celery and or can of Cream of mushroom soup. Follow direction on box of stuffing for chicken, use rabbit in stead...I use rabbit in in many chicken recipes

Comment

Wish I could wow you but we all (my family) like it chicken and dumpling style. Soups and stews are also a winner. I have been experimenting with different bbq things and I will try this one I did it to a chicken and it was GOOD
                        Debone whole rabbit place wild rice mushroom mix inside roll and tie closed with butcher twine, season outside with favorite.
                        grill or smoke

Comment

Watched an older episode of Meateater and saw this one. He was hunting with Hank Shaw, and Shaw killed a jackrabbit and used this recipe. Its a braise, but should make even more tender with a cottontail as opposed to jackrabbit.

http://honest-food.net/2010/02/11/hare-stew-hard-times/

Comment

Working...
                          X