No announcement yet.

Parenting Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see both sides of the argument, and me personally, I would have made him finish out the season.

Teaches him not to quit, and you not to sign him up for stuff just for saying "ya". lol

Comment

I’ve been through this a few times now; each time it was the kid being shy/nervous/uncomfortable. I “forced” my kids to play sports starting at age 3; it may take one practice or the first three games but by the end of the season they will be having fun with it as long as you make it fun. If you have to sit and watch the entire practice do it; eventually they will start to play with you on the side and then participate with the team. It’s also been my experience that each sport/season can have this same type of initial trepidation at that age.

In my opinion the worst thing you can do is bail and go home. I can’t say that my kids participated in every practice at that age but we always stayed the duration.

Comment

I’d make him stick with it. I know he’s only four but he needs to learn when you commit to something you finish it out, no matter how bad it might suck. Quitting was never an option growing up and I’m grateful for it.

Comment

I'm on the thought of "You started the season, you will finish the season. Quitting is never an option."

At the end of the season should they decide to return or not is where this is an option in my opinion. But team and everything associated with team is for a brief period, but the definition lasts a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            The difference from 4 to 5 is huge. Next year you can use logic, this year.....go catch perch.
            AGREED had the same issue with mine last year at 4 this year I played more in the backyard (baseball never soccer) with him and he started to realize he was better at it, and one of the decent ones on the team (OF 5YEAR OLDS...) this year he's pumped for it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blake8504 View Post
              This is true!! while on vacation this past weekend, in the middle of restaurant, I see him holding his pants/backside. I ask what happened and he said, "I tried to suck it back in, but I wasn't fast enough"...
              This proves it...he has a quitters mentality already

jk he's 4...no need to freak out

Comment

I think a lot of you guys are forgetting what 4 year olds are like.....he didn't "commit" to anything. He doesn't know what commitment is, and he is NOT going to learn it by being drug screaming onto the field.

Did ya see where he's still working on not ****ting his pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  I think a lot of you guys are forgetting what 4 year olds are like.....he didn't "commit" to anything. He doesn't know what commitment is, and he is NOT going to learn it by being drug screaming onto the field.

Did ya see where he's still working on not ****ting his pants?
                  Exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    He's 4. There's plenty of time for him to play sports (or not) when he is older.
                    Agree and I'll also encourage you as a parent to not ever tie the monetary thing into the child doing something. If you want to spend money on activities for your kids to do that's your deal, not the kid's. While you may really be excited about them playing whatever, the kid may hate it.

Comment

LMAO at the “You can never let them quit” dads. There are absolutely sometimes when you should quit. “You should finish what you start”....not always. “If he quits once, he’ll be a quitter forever”...nope.
                      He’s 4 years old. When he’s in high school, he’ll quit friends and girls that aren’t good for him. He’ll quit a job when he feels taken advantage of or finds a better one. He might quit college to start a successful career. He might start a trek up a mountain only to turn back in bad weather. He might quit supporting the Rangers because they suck. He may decide to close a business he starts because it doesn’t perform as he thought it would.
                      Bottom line is, sometimes quitting is the best option and if there is anything that is OK to quit, its freaking soccer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

didnt read all of curts post but i agree....
                        the best time to quit soccer is before you start........... or anytime really.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                          Agree and I'll also encourage you as a parent to not ever tie the monetary thing into the child doing something. If you want to spend money on activities for your kids to do that's your deal, not the kid's. While you may really be excited about them playing whatever, the kid may hate it.
                          Agreed. Lesson learned. This is why I value the site and others opinions. It puts things into perspective

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          LMAO at the “You can never let them quit” dads. There are absolutely sometimes when you should quit. “You should finish what you start”....not always. “If he quits once, he’ll be a quitter forever”...nope.
                          He’s 4 years old. When he’s in high school, he’ll quit friends and girls that aren’t good for him. He’ll quit a job when he feels taken advantage of or finds a better one. He might quit college to start a successful career. He might start a trek up a mountain only to turn back in bad weather. He might quit supporting the Rangers because they suck. He may decide to close a business he starts because it doesn’t perform as he thought it would.
                          Bottom line is, sometimes quitting is the best option and if there is anything that is OK to quit, its freaking soccer.

Agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            didnt read all of curts post but i agree....
                            the best time to quit soccer is before you start........... or anytime really.
                            Tell me how you really feel about soccer... lol
                            Last edited by Blake8504; 08-08-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

What ever you decide he will be fine. Enjoy him!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

Hilarious and true!

Comment

Working...
                                X