elderflower/orange mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elderflower/orange mead

As an avid home brewer Iv always wanted to make mead. In case anyone doesn't know what mead is, its honey wine. Its fairly simple and there a few different methods to go about making it. I went with the heat method but ill be doing the non-heat method soon to compare the two. This will ferment for about a month and then ill rack it into secondary where it will age for at least a year. If anyone is interested in making mead click on the link below.

A tutorial on how to make mead the easy way. With complete list of ingredients, equipment and steps.
    Attached Files

Looks like you've got a real healthy fermentation going! I'll be interested to see the report on how the elderflower taste comes out. What yeast are you using?

If you haven't had a chance, I highly recommend reading "The Compleat Mead Maker" (spelled incorrectly on purpose).

Comment

Thanks! Yea I'm hoping to get some floral notes from the elderflowers. It will be a while before I plan I trying but I keep the post updated when I do.

Comment

How does mead compare to our typical wines these days? Sweeter? Higher/lower alcohol content?

Comment

Jay07ag, They can be sweet to semi-dry depending on the amount of honey you use. The alcohol content is usually around the same level of wine being 12-15%. It can get higher but I try to shoot for that range.

Comment

Looks really good.

It always amazes me how clear it will get form the cloudy mess it is now.

I love to home brew as well although never made a mead. Cider but no mead.

Comment

Yea this is my first time making mead. Heck iv never even tasted mead so I have no idea what to expect. I'm just hoping for something that is semi-dry with a little sweetness. I just made another batch with some local honey so ill have plenty of mead by next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                Yea this is my first time making mead. Heck iv never even tasted mead so I have no idea what to expect. I'm just hoping for something that is semi-dry with a little sweetness. I just made another batch with some local honey so ill have plenty of mead by next year.
                Good Luck! It looks like you have a great start! Mead is pretty good. I think there are a few kinds you can get at Specs. My brother picks up a bottle from time to time and I have tried it. A little on the sweet side, but pretty tasty for sitting around and sipping on it.

Comment

Working...
                X