Sonora Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonora Food Plot

I have about an acre tat I think I could plant a little fod plot on in Sonora. Its pretty cleared but there are some rocks I would need to clear. Besides that what would I need to do. What should I plant and when, and how likely is to that it will actually grow.
    Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Grady_jones View Post
    I have about an acre tat I think I could plant a little fod plot on in Sonora. Its pretty cleared but there are some rocks I would need to clear. Besides that what would I need to do. What should I plant and when, and how likely is to that it will actually grow.
    Thanks in advance
    Winter wheat late, September early October and pray for rain

Comment

How should I go about tilling the land do I need to rent a tractor

Comment

I would get with your local ag/Dept of Natural Resources and see if they had any advice on what and when to plant, as well as pray for rain.

Comment

Sonora Food Plot

In for the advice. I’d love to plant out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree on planting winter wheat. Late September/Early October as stated above.

If the the soil is say 75% dirt / 25% rocks, you could probably just rent a smaller tractor, disk the soil, broadcast the seed w/ a tailgate feeder, and barely drag the disk back over the seed to cover it w/ dirt. If you are only doing 1 acre, i would double the recommended seed per acre, and mix a couple bags of fertilizer in w/ the wheat seed.

If its more rock than dirt, or the rocks are large, you would need to work the area w/ a rock rake to get most of the rocks out of the soil...

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
              Agree on planting winter wheat. Late September/Early October as stated above.

If the the soil is say 75% dirt / 25% rocks, you could probably just rent a smaller tractor, disk the soil, broadcast the seed w/ a tailgate feeder, and barely drag the disk back over the seed to cover it w/ dirt. If you are only doing 1 acre, i would double the recommended seed per acre, and mix a couple bags of fertilizer in w/ the wheat seed.

If its more rock than dirt, or the rocks are large, you would need to work the area w/ a rock rake to get most of the rocks out of the soil...

Thank you for the advice

Comment

We planted a mix of wheat, oats, and a food plot mix we got from a local seed place. I believe it had some clover mixed in.

We always planted late October. Planting earlier usually resulted in no growth because the rainfall wasn't consistent. It's pretty much 50/50. When we did get a good growth year the deer would absolutely hammer it.

Small pull-behind disc and a SXS should do it.

Comment

We're close to Sonora and have a lot of rock. If your food plot area doesn't have rock you can use a disc plow. A disc will not work on our property due to all the rocks, we use a field cultivator implement (heard an old rancher call it a spring toothed chisel plow?). Pic below of what we use. Works well. Winter wheat and oats for fall. Plant in mid Oct. For spring Milo, brown top millet, and peredovik or native sunflowers will sometimes come up depending on rain out that way.
                  Attached Files

Comment

When we do plant we have planted winter wheat,rye grass and oats in September.I have planted Milo and a hay grazer in the spring at the end of February.Winter wheat and rye will grow by hand throwing if you have a lot of dirt and plan before a rain.I use a disk for everything else.One thing to keep in mind with the number of animals they will eat it up quick.I roll a section of hog panel and place it in all the food plots.This will give you an idea of how its growing compared to what's being eaten in the field.I haven't had any luck with other deer blends of seed. Good luck plant heavy.

Comment

Working...
                    X