Traditional Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Help please

I just moved to Pleasanton from Louisiana. Really interested in getting into traditional but don't know were to start. Is there a bow shop near that can help me. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would start with a entry-level/form bow

get something in the 30-40# range
    look into getting the samick sage or samick journey
    get full length arrows in the 31-32'' range

look up jeff kavanaugh on youtube for some tips and advice, look up jimmy Blackmon also

work on a solid anchor point, using back tension and a clean release

theirs much to learn

Comment

I think your best bet is to find some trad guys in your area to assist you in getting started. There are not many shops that will be much help when it comes to trad gear. Hopefully some trad guys from this forum will offer to have you join them. Pretty much everybody I have met since I started down the trad road are more than willing to help somebody new to traditional archery - letting you shoot their bows and giving you advice. I know we have some trad TBH'rs in your part of south Texas, I'm just not sure who...
      Last edited by jerp; 10-25-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

If you decide to go the Samick route, great entry level bows, let me know. I've got a Samick Journey that I can let go.

Hehe Welcome to the addiction.
        Richard.

Comment

I'd like to say yes, but from what I've seen most of the guys in bow shops know very little about trad gear. The bow Junkers has for sale would be a great bow to get you started though. If you don't have anybody nearby to kind of help you get started, watch as many videos on form as you can and start close. Like 5 yards or so. It's fun, it just takes a lot of dedication and practice.

Comment

Be sure to read the stickies at the top of the Trad Forum.

Comment

Real good advice above. Start with a low poundage bow and practice at close range at first. YouTube has a lot of good videos to help with your form, release, ect...... The main thing is to just have fun and dont get too discouraged. It can get frustrating at times. Are you left or right handed?

Comment

Don't have much more to offer than has already been offered up.

Have fun, don't get discouraged, sometimes things develop slowly... welcome to trad!

Comment

I'm in Corpus and would help you in anyway that I could if you were wiling to make the trip. Go to the Tradgang website and study the Shooter's form section. Look up Casey Hays on youtube. Join Traditional Bowhunters of Texas. There will be several 3D shoots in the spring that will be attended by a lot of friendly people who will be happy to help you. Good luck, been hunting with trad gear since the 60's and loving it.

Comment

Working...
                  X