Big Bend- dog or no dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend- dog or no dog?

We are heading to Big Bend April 1-7 and staying in a camper. I understand dogs are not allowed on most trails in the national park, only closed canyon trail and Hoodoos trail. We hike a lot and that will be the main thing for us. We can leave the dog in the camper but I'm wondering how reliable is the electric for keeping camper cool? How big is the snake threat out there? Etc. Perhaps we should just board the dog and not take her. The dog loves to hike and is a member of the family, yes we have become "those" people!
    So should we board her or take her?

I have been 3 times in the last 18 months. I board the dog. It is rough country and I think it will slow you down.

Comment

We went over spring break and I didnt see a dog there

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
        The dog loves to hike and is a member of the family, yes we have become "those" people!
        No shame in that! I am one too!

Comment

It will be "very" hot during the day and you will need to carry extra water for you dog if you hike with him/her. I would not take mine but that is just me. Call the park (State and Federal) and inquire about pets on leash and trails. There are bears and cougars in those hills as well, and lots of thorns.

Comment

If it was us and this was a family thing, we wouldn’t be going if our dog can’t go every where with us. Never been in a kennel let alone boarded. Yes we are for sure one of those families. Wouldn’t have it any other way. That said , I will never be seeing big bend, so very much looking forward to your pictures !

Comment

Dogs are only allowed where vehicles are allowed. Can’t take them on trails, so if you plan on doing any hiking you’re SOL.

Comment

Yeah i'd leave her for this trip. Too many variables. Snakes, heat, plus they aren't allowed on the trails. I wouldn't have peace of mind while out hiking if I left her in the trailer either. Even if the power is fairly stable anything can happen and if it were to go out that would not be a good situation when you got back.

Comment

Board her. There are a lot of things they will walk and step through that will tear their feet up without those dog shoes.

Comment

You are smart to inquire.

I've never run across a snake in Big Bend but that's probably just luck. Seems a bit sad that it's not a "dogs welcomed" kind of place but that's the facts.

I've never seen a dog out there either.

Comment

People take their dogs all the time to Big Bend. When I was a kid we'd go often and we always took the family dog but we never took him hiking. The reason you never see them is that most folks keep them in their campers.

Friend of mine's Beagle had to poop and they let him out to go and the poor pup had thorns all in his feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                        People take their dogs all the time to Big Bend. When I was a kid we'd go often and we always took the family dog but we never took him hiking. The reason you never see them is that most folks keep them in their campers.

Friend of mine's Beagle had to poop and they let him out to go and the poor pup had thorns all in his feet.
                        Park rules dont allow pets on trails and many other places.

Comment

I take my dog every time except when we camped on the RIM. Never had a problem. Yes i did take her on the trails with us. I bought her shoes due to the sharp rocks.

Get the torches and pitchforks I know i broke the rules. Will do it again. I will pay the fine if I am issued one happily.

My dog is every bit part of my family. She is a working dog, and well trained. She was on a leash not just roaming around chasing wild life or destroying fauna. She is also not a barker.

I was very thankful for her one evening we were finishing a small hike in Teriliqua. She alerted us to a pack a javalina's coming down the trail towards us. She also alerted them to us being on the same trail. They took a side route and likely stopped the group from running into us.

I will add not a single person had a problem with her on the trails. They all wanted to pet her and talk. We also did not do the super packed trails up in the Chisos.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                            I take my dog every time except when we camped on the RIM. Never had a problem. Yes i did take her on the trails with us. I bought her shoes due to the sharp rocks.

Get the torches and pitchforks I know i broke the rules. Will do it again. I will pay the fine if I am issued one happily.

My dog is every bit part of my family. She is a working dog, and well trained. She was on a leash not just roaming around chasing wild life or destroying fauna. She is also not a barker.

I was very thankful for her one evening we were finishing a small hike in Teriliqua. She alerted us to a pack a javalina's coming down the trail towards us. She also alerted them to us being on the same trail. They took a side route and likely stopped the group from running into us.

I will add not a single person had a problem with her on the trails. They all wanted to pet her and talk. We also did not do the super packed trails up in the Chisos.
                            I also drive over the speed limit sometimes too so i am a real out law.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X