Creek Issues, who to contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creek Issues, who to contact

Our new property we purchased last Spring has a creek running the length of it. We do not live there yet but we're there pretty often, working and what not.
    Anyway, the creek last year was very clear, decent flow, really nice. Now this year, its full of moss even though the flow has been much more prevalent than last year. And it showed up back around first of February, pretty cold, which is odd within itself.
    I'm suspecting someone dumped or is dumping sewage into it upstream but don't know how to prove that. It doesn't smell and water is clear still.
    Any ideas or who to contact about getting it resolved? Or maybe I'm overreacting. Hate to see it like that with hotter weather coming on.

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
    Our new property we purchased last Spring has a creek running the length of it. We do not live there yet but we're there pretty often, working and what not.
    Anyway, the creek last year was very clear, decent flow, really nice. Now this year, its full of moss even though the flow has been much more prevalent than last year. And it showed up back around first of February, pretty cold, which is odd within itself.
    I'm suspecting someone dumped or is dumping sewage into it upstream but don't know how to prove that. It doesn't smell and water is clear still.
    Any ideas or who to contact about getting it resolved? Or maybe I'm overreacting. Hate to see it like that with hotter weather coming on.
    County Commissioner for your precinct.

Comment

I heard that the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality can help too:

Types of problems under TCEQ's jurisdiction and those that fall under the jurisdiction of other agencies.

Comment

Could just be the natural cycle of things. My creek and ponds do this all the time depending on the amount of rainfall and temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          Could just be the natural cycle of things. My creek and ponds do this all the time depending on the amount of rainfall and temperatures.
          I'm hoping that. We have had a LOT of rainfall since last fall. I just thought it odd that it started growing in Feb. Did notice many ponds in the area doing the same but still odd. Always assumed moss would only grow in warmer weather.

Comment

Like stated, i would contact your commissioner first, but if you really think it could be sewage, than TCEQ would be a good contact.

Comment

It will clean up as soon as it gets warmer. Almost all creeks right now have some algae.

Comment

Get a sample and have it tested

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                  If this were my property, I would consider sending off some of the water to a lab for testing. And I'd start knocking on doors upstream and getting to know my neighbors. I would not start with the county comish nor the TCEQ.

You can look here: https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/regions/lhds.shtm
                  Last edited by 35remington; 03-22-2019, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I agree with 35remmington. The TCEQ is pretty far down on my list of good guys since they approved a dump over our county water supply..!

Comment

Never bring in the government unless absolutely necessary. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        yessir

Comment

never bring in the government unless absolutely necessary. Imo.
                          this x1000.

Comment

As stated notta on these folks unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

thanks all. I'm going to investigate upstream as well, since this creek originates not too many miles north of me.
                              I don't care to involve TCEQ either but if I find positive evidence of dumping above me, you bet I will involve them because they do not screw around with that stuff. They will take care of it.
                              Hopefully it clears up on its own.

Comment

Working...
                              X