X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Texas Driver's license has it on it.

Comment

My CHL has it on it.

On July 20, 2015, the president signed into law the Veterans Identification Card Act of 2015. This act allows Veterans to apply for an identification card directly from VA. The VA identification card will allow Veterans to demonstrate proof of service for discounts at private restaurants and businesses.

Veterans Health ID Card - It should be noted that the identification card is different from a Veteran Health Identification card or a DoD Uniformed Services or retiree ID card. As such, the VA identification cards cannot be used as proof of eligibility to any federal benefits and does not grant access to military installations.

When available, Veterans will be able to request an ID card from VA for a fee. VA is currently making plans to implement the new law in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible while protecting Veterans’ personal information. We estimate that VA will be able implement the program in 2017. The cost of each card has not yet been determined.

In the meantime, Veterans who would like an identification card that displays their military service do not have to wait until VA implements the new law. You have several options:

You can access and print a free Veterans identification proof of service letter through the joint VA/DoD web portal, eBenefits. This serves as proof of honorable service in the Uniformed Services, as defined in laws about the Department of Defense (DoD). Veterans can get a free eBenefits account by going to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage.

Your driver’s license or state identification card can carry a Veteran designation. This option is currently available in 49 states, along with Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. We expect the 50th state, Washington, to offer this service in August 2017. Veterans wanting more information should contact their state department of motor vehicles or state department of Veterans affairs at http://www.va.gov/statedva.htm.

Veterans who are enrolled in VA health care can obtain a free Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC). For more information, please go to http://www.va.gov/HEALTHBENEFITS/vhic/index.asp.

Veterans who have retired from military service can receive an identification card from DoD. For information on obtaining or renewing such a card, please contact your nearest DoD identification card facility. You can find the location of these facilities through this link: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/appj/site.
      This article was submitted to Vantage Point by the Veterans Benefits Administration.

Comment

Most places just ask and I tell them that I don't have a military I.D., but they let me have the discount anyway. It isn't off their skin to give it and it is good business for them....I keep going back.

Most of the time, I forget about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          Gunner's Mate?
          Army Field Artillery

Comment

Hey hey now I was in one of the hardest working career fields in the air force. I built bombs to drop on enemy foreheads! I have it on my CHL but not on my license. I guess when I have to go in I will take my DD214 to put it on my license.

Comment

Veterans can now shop online with AAFES now.

Comment

Originally posted by BillF_2017 View Post
                Roger that. I've never actually used the VA, heck I've never actually used my discount at Lowes or the meal at Applebees...the only thing I have used since getting out in '99 was my GI Bill. I'm not a combat vet (I was on a submarine for 4 years), so I kinda feel bad about using a lot of the entitlements.
                I didn't become eligible to join the VFW until my 21st year. Just before I retired.

Comment

I had read about that. When did they start allowing it?

Comment

Originally posted by nyuk x 3 View Post
                    I had read about that. When did they start allowing it?
                    Doesn't start until November, from what I understand, but can get verified in advance.

Comment

Yeah but it's not the big savings one may think as a whole

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                        Yeah but it's not the big savings one may think as a whole
                        Mostly just sales tax savings.

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                          Texas Veterans do have a few more perks than most states
                          As they should in my book!! Our land sales company will pay ALL closing costs for Veterans when they buy land from us!

The Texas Veterans Land Board is a great deal for Veterans or current Military to help buy land.

Not an advertisement for us, my youngest is active Army so this is personal with me....reward and help our Vets in any way we can.

Thanks for your service all....you deserve ANYTHING to help out!!!!!

Comment

If there is anyone who needs help obtaining proof that they are a Veteran, I can provide you some information that will get the proper credentials you need. Just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              1st off its not your fault their wasn't anyone needing killing when you were in.

2nd I've spent 7 month on a ship. worst time ever and you were on a sub so I'm sure its multiplied by 10.

3rd even if you think you didn't do much you still did more that 90% so don't discredit your service.
                              Could not have said it better tward1604---I have a good friend who was in the guard and did his time there. When we have veterans day acknowledgement at church, he will not stand up---I've told him over and over---he signed up, took his oath, did his time, and did not bail out and run away to Canada.

"chair force" thought I was the only one who used that term---but then only to my good friends in baby blue as my brother did 23 years in the USAF.

Comment

My Texas license to carry has the veteran identifier on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X