Question about the selfbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the selfbow?

My main question is where can I buy a couple of staves, my wife got me the bowyers bible V1 for Christmas but I want to get started on a bow. I have 3 huge Osage trees in the back yard that I will tackle when I get a better understanding of where and what to cut and I also don't want to wait a couple years to get started. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Clay

Clay you are in the best State for Osage, I got some kansas osage two years ago and it was some of the best I've ever worked.When you get your Bowyers Bible chapter two cutting and seasoning wood will tell you plenty to get started.Be sure to look at the bark when choosing your tree. If the bark turns around the tree run from it.You want the bark to be as vertical as possible for good bows. The other will make good airplane propellers but not bows.You are on the right track though with the bible. To answer your Question about the stave I don't know how to put you in touch with anyone in kansas but fence post,dead fall, etc will work.Good luck!!!

Comment

I live in Texas but hunt in Kansas. If you want Kansas Osage I got you covered I hunt a creek bottom that is a Osage thicket, it has thousands of Osage trees in it. It stretches 3 miles of creek bottoms and is all Osage. If you or anyone you know in Texas has something I could buy I would sure be grateful.

Comment

Clay I have been getting my osage from John Beecroft in Witchata Falls if you live north he is your man pm me and I will give you his #.

Comment

Clay,

I can tell you that the Osage.. Arvin gets is some of the finest I have seen and I have been around seflbows for over 30 years now!

Comment

Thanks guys, Arvin pm sent

Comment

Working...
            X