Coast Guard lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coast Guard lighting

I am replacing my navigation lights on my pontoon boat. Can I use the marine LED strip lights from amazon for this, or do they have to be special coast guard approved nav lights.

Thanks, KC

LED strip lights will not meet the 360 light requirement or the front red/green navigation light requirement. No other lights that could be confused with navigation are allowed while the vessel is underway. And the front navigation lights have to meet the degree requirements so you can not put up red on one side green strip on the other.

Only one place I can think of that has it figured out - called Taco Marine - aint cheap.

Easier to just buy coast guard stamped lighting.
    Last edited by glen; 03-01-2019, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help glen.

Comment

This is my opinion and will probably rub some wrong, but led strips dont belong on anything anywhere except private ranches. Try approach at night on the icw and you will know what Im talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          This is my opinion and will probably rub some wrong, but led strips dont belong on anything anywhere except private ranches. Try approach at night on the icw and you will know what Im talking about.
          Strips or light bars?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            Strips or light bars?
            I guess bars. I dont know hat strip are.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I guess bars. I dont know hat strip are.
              something like this is what OP was talking about i think.

I have this around the outside lip of my boat for fishing. Bait fish go nuts.

Comment

That is exactly what I was talking about. Just going to go with the regular old boring USCG ones now. Thanks to the knowledge and wisdom of the green screen.

Comment

They are illegal. Do not meet CG angle requirements.

Issue citations for it all the time.

Comment

“Sidelights” mean a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. On a vessel of less than 20 meters in length the side lights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the sidelights when combined in one lantern shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.
                    (
                    c) “Sternlight” means a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the

Comment

This is the only company that puts them out and met CG requirements to my knowledge. I know they are not cheap

Comment

Other than gas I have put zero dollars into my boat in the last 10 years. I thought I would add something new to it.

Comment

With all the new lighting technology. I wish they would change the white sturn light to some led color pink or yellow or something of contrastingcolors to shore lights. I've almost been run over a few times from behind. Just a thought

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

The GWs around our lakes don't make a fuss about light strips for navigation. They are not legal but they can be seen from a greater distance than a normal navigation light that is sometimes blocked by the trolling motor in the stored position. The whole point of the lights is so the vessel can be seen and determined which direction it is underway. Light strips positioned correctly provide more than the minimum requirements. They are illegal though if they are not coast guard approved.

Comment

Hobbs. It has to do with the angle. Even slightly quartered away I can see both red and green lights. With proper shielding and lighting you only see what you are suppose to therefore allowing safe navigation

Comment

Working...
                              X