New to bows, information overload. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to bows, information overload. :)

Richard here from Adkins (south of San Antonio).

I've got a Samick Journey #30 draw weight on the way to start my trek towards being a bow hunter. So far I think I've watched dozens of Youtube videos, read more articles than I can count and been searching for weeks to get the information I need. So far all I've gotten accomplished was to settle on the bow. I'm 6'1, 185lbs, and fairly athletic but will be starting with a the lower dw so that I can focus on form, I can always buy heavier limbs later. I measured my draw length at 29 inches which is why I went with the Journey.

Now I'm in the midst of figuring out which arrows, which fletching, weight, spine, etc.. and all the rest. There is a lot of information out there so I figure this will be a lengthy process for decision making. I was hoping to hunt whitetails this year with the bow but don't think I'll be a competent enough shooter by the time the season starts and there is no way in hell I'm going to take a shot at something if I'm not confident.

So I'll be lurking for a while and probably ask a number of mundane questions. At some point I'm going to have to petition one of you that's near here for some face to face advice and probably some instruction.

So anyway that's me. Thanks for letting me join.

Richard.

Welcome - and congrats on starting the trad journey! Lots of expertise around here and folks who are willing to help. Don't be concerned about asking elementary questions - most all of us have asked the same things at some point. You are wise in your decision to start with a low draw weight - that will help a lot. You are also correct that getting with some experienced trad shooters will shorten the learning curve like nothing else.

Comment

Welcome to the trad rat race brother! Lots of good info here, plenty of fellers eager to help, and knowledge to go along with it. Enjoy the ride, which will get bumpy at times, but the journey sure is satisfying! Let us know if we can mess you up.... Uhh, I mean help. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Starting light is good, but for your size 30# is a bit light. To find arrows that will shoot decently from that light of poundage will probably be too weak as you begin to increase in draw weight. That means you will have to purchase new arrows as you increase in draw weight and arrows tend to be expensive these days. I would suggest carbons since they are the most durable. At the draw weight and length you have stated you are starting at you will have to find the lightest carbons they make which I believe are 600's and probably no more than 100 gr. up front. I would also fletch with no more than three feathers and no longer than 4". Some here might suggest bare tuning your arrows but as a beginner that could be a bit overwhelming, yet, if your arrows are not matched close enough to your bow weight you will not be able to shoot accurately with consistency. That will cause you to become discouraged in your ability and perhaps cause you to give up shooting altogether.

You stated you are fairly athletic. I believe I would have started closer to 40#. Do some back strengthening exercises and in very short order you will be able to shoot 40# with ease if not already. You will want to begin increasing your draw weight from there in probably pretty short order. 30 pounds in my opinion is too light for a hunting bow unless you are hunting small game like rabbits, birds, and such. I could not recommend it for hunting whitetail deer.

The main thing is practice, practice, practice, and more practice.
        Last edited by Straitshot; 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Wow, I am impressed with your decision to start with 30# limbs. I shoot lots of bows up to 65#, but I shoot my 30# journey more than anything else to work on form and shot execution. I can shoot that journey no matter how sore I am from swimming or working out.

I would recommend getting some full length 600 spine goldtips and 4" truflight feathers with 100 grn tips to start. These will almost be too short for you, but if you need a longer shaft you may need to go up in spine. If you do shoot a 500 or 400 spine you will find heavier tips will work better out of your 30# limbs. Find a buddy that can help you fletch them or do it yourself. The 600s fly fine out of my 30# journey and I shoot them well out of my 40# bows as well but I only pull 28.5".

I just started my 35 yr old brother off this year. He got a 40# sage used and he pulls 29". He is much happier with 35# limbs I traded for him, but he'd be better off with journey limbs. His 600s are just barely long enough but they fly well.

In my experience the low end samick limbs come in a little heavier than marked. At 29" you may be pulling 35-36#s. It might be worth it to find a bow scale to check.

Comment

Used 45-50# bows are easy to find. My brother just got some used 50# sage limbs for $40 but he hasn't even shot them yet. The journey limbs are a little harder to find.

Enjoy your journey!

Comment

Welcome to the green screen and the trad forum. Lots of good advise given. I'll add this:

For arrows, don't dismiss aluminum. You can often find lower spine in aluminum. 600 spine should work. So might some full length 500 spine with heavy tips up front.

I would not personally hunt WT with a 30# bow unless my next meal depended on it . 40# seems to be the minimum most folks would go and will remind you that it is all about shot placement in the same breathe. I tend to follow the advise of others that say to shoot the most draw weight you can consistently and accurately. For me that is 50#. I have a hard time being consistent at 55# or higher and I get worn out quicker.

Keep asking away... it is what keeps this forum going.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks. I do want to point out that I'd not planned on hunting with the 30lb limbs. I only decided to go that light so that I could focus on form. It does seem to sound like moving up to a 35-40lb DW set of limbs would give me more options regarding arrow spine and weight, yes?

As far as bare tuning the arrows I do have a neighbor a few acres over that has a fletching jig, arrow cutting tool, bow scale, and a shed full of other contraptions and he's offered to help so I could go visit him for an afternoon. Good opportunity to learn a few things.

Thank you again.
                Richard

Edit: Quick question to help clear up my mind a bit. "Instinctive" shooting with a bow is the same concept as "wing" shooting with a shotgun correct? Look at the target, not at the bow (gun)?
                Last edited by Junkers88; 07-01-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Yes, concentrate on the target. The same as you would shooting a basketball or throwing a baseball or rock. Remember, "aim small, miss small" so focus on a spot on your target and not the whole target and follow through with your shot. Good form will always produce accurate shooting.
                  Last edited by Straitshot; 07-01-2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I consider wing shooting more like gap initially as you weld and sight down the barrell. Gap... you sight down the shaft. Instinctive is more like throwing darts.

Comment

Originally posted by Straitshot View Post
                      Yes, concentrate on the target. The same as you would shooting a basketball or throwing a baseball or rock. Remember, "aim small, miss small" so focus on a spot on your target and not the whole target and follow through with your shot. Good form will always produce accurate shooting.
                      I must have seen The Patriot 30 times and I've never understood until now what Mel meant by "aim small, miss small". Thanks!

Comment

First welcome and glad you made it.
                        Secondly, it seems like a lot of info right now, but it will become less so as you go along.

I believe you read the stickys at the top, so you are way ahead already.

You are right about the instinctive shooting...just like throwing a ball, casting a fishing lure, etc....you just do it enough that the computer in your head and muscle memory take over and you put the arrow where it goes. It is not a perfect system as we see pros have shooting slumps and whatever, but that is the concept.

I coach people to start point blank to the target...like a few feet (not yards) and pound the bullseye, then move back a little a step or two and repeat. I do this when I am shooting poorly as well as a refresher.

I would not rule out hunting this season, you may only be consistent to 10 yards, but we kill a lot of deer at 10 yards.

One last thing, only practice while you are focused and feeling "right", if you get tired or start just going through the motions...you are probably not helping yourself. It's better to shoot 20 good arrows, than 200 with the last half being crappy.

Keep us updated, if you are ever in the Houston area, you are welcome to come by.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                          First welcome and glad you made it.
                          Secondly, it seems like a lot of info right now, but it will become less so as you go along.

I believe you read the stickys at the top, so you are way ahead already.

You are right about the instinctive shooting...just like throwing a ball, casting a fishing lure, etc....you just do it enough that the computer in your head and muscle memory take over and you put the arrow where it goes. It is not a perfect system as we see pros have shooting slumps and whatever, but that is the concept.

I coach people to start point blank to the target...like a few feet (not yards) and pound the bullseye, then move back a little a step or two and repeat. I do this when I am shooting poorly as well as a refresher.

I would not rule out hunting this season, you may only be consistent to 10 yards, but we kill a lot of deer at 10 yards.

One last thing, only practice while you are focused and feeling "right", if you get tired or start just going through the motions...you are probably not helping yourself. It's better to shoot 20 good arrows, than 200 with the last half being crappy.

Keep us updated, if you are ever in the Houston area, you are welcome to come by.
                          Thanks Chunky, oh and congrats on the gators!

Comment

I went and sat down with the neighbor yesterday over some iced tea and fireworks and we talked bows. He's going to show me how to bare tune arrows, cut, spine, etc... and fletch them so it looks like I'm getting a nice in depth course on what each component does. I really prefer to know what part each piece plays in a system. He also strung his own recurve to let me draw it and see how it felt. I was able to draw his bow (50lbs at 28" and I draw out to 29" so probably 52lbs?) to anchor about a half dozen times but was only able to hold it steady for 3-5 seconds. I'm happy in that now I know I can order a 40 or 45lb bow for myself instead of the 30lb I was thinking of as that will give me more options for arrows.

The more I learn about this the harder it gets to wait for all the goodies to arrive!

Richard.

Comment

Some great advice here. I would go to the TBoT website and look for some 3d shoots to attend. You will meet some great people and will have the opportunity to handle and shoot a wide variety of trad bows. Most trad shooters are happy to let you shoot their bows.

Comment

Working...
                              X