Florescent to LED Light conversion for your camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florescent to LED Light conversion for your camper

The florescent lights in one of my fixtures went out in our camper, replacement bulbs cost about $20. Since I had LED strip left over from my earlier project to install perimeter LED lighting ( http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=352998 ) I thought I would replace the florescent light with the LED strips.

First and foremost, you will need to verify the light fixture is 12V and before performing any work make sure the power is off on the fixture.

After verifying the power, the process is pretty simple, wire the strips to the existing power source circumventing the ballast. In the first picture is after removing the center piece which exposes the wiring. In the middle of the fixture are a white and black wire from the ceiling, these are the power source wires. Here the white wire is negative and the black is positive, it is important you put a tester to the wires, if you wire the LED strip backwards it will fry the LED strip! Following the positive wire in picture 2 it goes to the switch on the fixture where the output from the switch is a red wire, this is the wire to use for the positive power source to the LED strip so it can be controlled by the switch.

Cut the white wire coming into the fixture and splice to the negative side of the LED strips, splice on the wire side leading into the ceiling. Next, cut the red wire from the switch and splice the switch side of the wire to the positive leads on the LED strip. At this point you should be able to turn the switch on and power up the LEDs.

Next, clean the surface of the fixture with some rubbing alcohol before attaching the LED strip to the fixture. Picture 3 shows the LED strips attached with the wiring and ballast cover in place. I replaced 18” florescent lights with 14” LED strips (that is what I had left on a roll).

Picture 4 shows the completed project (iPhone isn't the best for these pictures). I have read this conversion should reduce the power consumption to about 1/7th the florescent consumption.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill's Unlimited; 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM.

Night pictures

Here are a couple of night pictures trying to show the amount of light this replacement are capable of.

The first picture is just the new LED strips.

The second picture shows where I am running the LED replacement and a 12" florescent light. You can really see the difference in the light in this picture. I may replace the lights in the other fixture too since they are the primary lights by the stove.
    Attached Files

Comment

A couple of quick things:

The ballast sends a power surge when turned on to the florescent light, this power surge will fry the LED strip, hence the need to take the ballast out of the circuit.

Unlike the other LED strip project I have done, I chose not to use extra adhesive when sticking the LED strip. If it comes loose I will apply some, but the strip isn't going far...

Comment

Where do you get the strips?

Comment

I looked back through your post that sent me to ebay but cant find em. Can you please post a link?

Comment

ETXBow - click on the link below that will take you to my first project. On that thread I provide links, descriptions, and prices to all the pieces I used. It also goes into more detail on wiring. Some of the links are in post #9.

Comment

ETXBow - I see that now, I will post something up in a few minutes...

Comment

Have a look at the first post from the link above for some info on what to search for on ebay to find the LED light strings.

You can try copy and paste the below into ebay.

LED strip IP65 300 cool white 5050 3M

This should get you close. Things to verify in the listing:

LED 5050 series
                Lumen 780-900
                Cool White color
                5 Meter long
                300 LED or 60LED per meter
                IP65 or above waterproofing
                3M backing for 2 way adhesive

One of the users I purchased from was minch-led *I have no affiliation with this person - buyer beware but I did not have any issues.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you sir. I've got a pontoon project I've been wanting to do. Red down one side, green down the other for navigation lights. I also want to put some on the inside. Until your thread I haven't seen any strips that long.

Comment

You are welcome ETXBow. However, you may want to do a little research on navigation lights, I don't know the regulations but not sure they can go down the length of the vessel.

Look at all the posts from the previous DIY for the white lights on the link I posted earlier. There are some other guys who posted on that thread about putting lights on their boats. They may be of some assistance to you.

Good luck on the party barge, let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Working...
                    X