Beef cut recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef cut recommendations

My wife and I are trying to eat better. Think less processed foods. We eat too dang much chicken. I like my beef but don’t like the prices. What cuts are good but less expensive? I’m not really a roast or slow cooker type guy. Looking for something I can do on the grill or in a skillet.

Skillet fried round steak
    Or sirloin

Comment

Beef cut recommendations

Wife switched me from ribeyes to sirloin because they are leaner. A good sirloin is hard to beat.

Comment

Sirloin. Grill it no more than medium. Pork is good to. I stay away from boneless chops cause they tend to be on the dry side. HEB has what they call pork ribeyes. Those are great on the grill. Get yourself a digital thermometer for grilling pork. I grill my store bought pork to between 150 and 165.

Comment

Chuck Eyes, poor man's ribeye

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you tried venison yet ? I hear it is a healthy choice

Comment

Sirloin or flank steak. Chicken fry without the flour.

Comment

Flat iron steak.

Comment

HEB runs sales on their prime1 sirloins pretty often. You will not be disappointed

Comment

I am not sure I understand. You want to eat more beef for health reasons? Eat venison or continue to eat chicken and turkey. If you need to eat beef, top sirloin is the cheapest cut that can be cooked relatively quickly. Are you trying to reduce fat intake?

Comment

Flank!!!

Marinate and tenderize overnight. 4 min each side on hot grill. Carve cross grain and slice thin.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                        I am not sure I understand. You want to eat more beef for health reasons? Eat venison or continue to eat chicken and turkey. If you need to eat beef, top sirloin is the cheapest cut that can be cooked relatively quickly. Are you trying to reduce fat intake?
                        Chicken is the nastiest meat you (average person) consumes on a daily basis. Most hormones, antibiotics, fecal matter etc.. per sample, of all the meat we eat, not counting processed meats. Processed meats are a Group 1 carcinogen, right next to plutonium and cigarettes.
                        Lean is better imo if red, younger/smaller is healthier fish/seafood wise, 0 processed meats, 0 chicken. That's my life plan. On the other hand, I do eat just about everything. Out on the road working, special occasions, you get imvited over for fried chicken, etc.., it happens. I never purposely choose those things, day to day though.
                        It's a hard line to walk brother, and moderation is key. Almost 20 yrs as a self proclaimed healthy eater

Comment

Sirloin.

Comment

Sirloin and get yourself one of these...makes a world of difference.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just about any recipe that calls for beef you can substitute venison for. Pork, sub wild pork. Come on man dihedral you guys get to hunt year round down there " food" should easy to come by, I would think. We just made smoked pulled pork bbq sandwiches last night, on the smoker. Could also use the same for carnitas. Venison chile is another hit here. All kinds of sausage can be made from game or " cheap" cuts of meat? We make cherzo, breakfast and Italian. I know what your talking about the price of meat though. I spent 65.00 on pork loin ( don't have access to wild pigs here) to make the pork sandwiches. Hopefully I will be able to add some of that " wild" pork to the freezer here in a couple weeks. We are going down there to try a get some. Also the killer fajita recipe in that section on here, is great with just about any kind of meat. We made it with venison, and dove so far, fantastic stuff. Who ever posted that recipe should be kissed.
                              Edit. Oops just re read tittle, beef ! Tougher cuts ,flank steak make great fajitas !
                              Last edited by critter69; 02-24-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X