Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed emissions because of window tint? Really? what to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed emissions because of window tint? Really? what to do now?

So my wife has a black Audi A4 with I think factory window tint that we bought in Colorado. We have been in Texas for three years and had it emissions tested three times AT THE SAME PLACE and now they are failing her because of window tint? Nothing has changed. I guess he put it in the system so we can't just take it anywhere else? What do we do now? I guess I want to go down there and have some strong words with the owner... for starters.

If you're in the system there's not much you can do other than remove the tint. That sux and I would be livid!

I'm assuming they failed you as part of the safety inspection that goes along with the emissions test as part of the state inspection.
    Last edited by CabezaBlanca; 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Emissions has nothing to do with window tint. Didnt the state just do away with inspections? If so just outlaw it till that goes into effect.

Comment

Maybe it was part of a safety inspection? is a safety inspection included with a emissions test?

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
          Maybe it was part of a safety inspection? is a safety inspection included with a emissions test?
          Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
            Emissions has nothing to do with window tint. Didnt the state just do away with inspections? If so just outlaw it till that goes into effect.
            no, the bill for dropping the inspection did not pass, and had it, it would only go into effect in Sept.

Comment

Window tint is part of the inspection process. Be mindful other states may not have window tint laws or laws that vary from Texas. As far as it passing two previous inspections, it may have been overlooked by the inspector. Good luck

Comment

If your window tint is darker than the law allows, you will need to change it. Maybe the inspection station didnt catch/check the tint being too dark before. If they just pass you and they get caught, they can lose their license to do inspections.

Comment

I've actually always wondered how people get by with such dark tint and don't fail their inspection. I don't know how dark is legal, but its not all that dark. Kind of crazy because Just about every other state in the south west lets you go as dark as you want.

Comment

Not the owners fault of your windows are too dark. He mighthave just gotten in trouble for letting that slide on some other car

Comment

My place has a decoy car that has passable tinted windows that they use in this situation.

Comment

Go talk to the owner and offer to cook him a brisket if he will pass it.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                          I've actually always wondered how people get by with such dark tint and don't fail their inspection. I don't know how dark is legal, but its not all that dark. Kind of crazy because Just about every other state in the south west lets you go as dark as you want.
                          A buddy of mine just removes the tint before the inspection and then puts new tint on afterwards. He made a cardboard cut-out the shape of his windows and does it himself in no time.

Comment

Isn't it only the front doors you have to worry about? Either have it redone on those or get it inspected in the hood. My old truck would only pass inspection at a place on airline and had to give a little tip. And that was a computer issue tint they'd look over easy prob without upcharge
                            Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 06-01-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Like everyone said above. You failed the safety inspection which has the emission test in it. You have been lucky up until now.

There are two things you can do, remove it or don't get tags.

Comment

Working...
                              X