Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I needed food in a pinch.... Bass ceviche!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I needed food in a pinch.... Bass ceviche!!!

Took the family camping along with some friends this weekend. Aside from the bbq all the other "food" was cramping my nutrition. Told my buddy if he caught a fish keep it and I'd cook it

Brought me a 2-2.5 lb bass.... No problem!!!

Fillet bass ( or other fish, I've used about any white fish you can imagine.
    Chop into small pieces
    Cover in fresh lime juice ( this one took 4 large limes)
    Place covered in fridge for 45min - 1 hr... Until it turns white, and cuts easy with fork
    Squeeze excess juice and pour off meat
    Add chopped cilantro
    Chopped onion
    Chopped tomato
    Creole seasoning of choice

Enjoy, eat as is, on chips, crackers, romaine lettuce tacos... Whatever
    Attached Files

Freshwater bass? Always hear that eating raw freshwater fish was risky. They contain parasites and other nasty things that need cooking to get rid of. Have you been doing this long? Looks good but a will stick with cooked freshwater fish.

Comment

Lol. Been doing it for years. Probably cooked it from Bangkok raises tilapia 100 times.... I'm alive and well

Comment

Stupid question. Did you just coat the fish or was it actually submerged in lime juice? Looks really good.

Comment

Submerge. Acid "cooks" the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Submerge. Acid "cooks" the fish
            This

Comment

Heck ya! Every time I go to the coast we make ceviche out of the specs! Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by spro View Post
                Freshwater bass? Always hear that eating raw freshwater fish was risky. They contain parasites and other nasty things that need cooking to get rid of. Have you been doing this long? Looks good but a will stick with cooked freshwater fish.
                Saltwater species have parasites too. It's a risk inherent with ceviche I guess but I like it .

Comment

Thanks, gonna give it a shot!

Comment

Good to see another person doing this with freshwater fish as well. I love it and use white bass/sandbass all the time. Even striper.

Comment

I've always said I was gonna try that with crappie!! Looks good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I caught a carp from the pond at six flags, I think I'll make some ceviche ... yum!

Comment

All the time! One of my favorite foods.

Comment

I have eaten ceviche from saltwater fish and love it. Just can't get past the thought of having worms crawling around in my stomach. Did a little research online and most say it is not safe, acid in the lime does not kill the paracites. Wish it did though. Not worth the risk to me. Did read that boiling or freezing the fish first works.

Comment

my mother in law is not a big fish eater by any means, but put a tostada of ceviche in front of her with some slice avocado on top, and winner winner, shicken dinner!!

Comment

Working...
                              X