Thinking about starting running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about starting running

I have lost a bunch of weight and starting to feel real good , I'm wanting to start to get in to running . Has anyone tried the couch to 5k ? I'm have been out of shape most of my life and don't think I have ever ran a full mile with out walking part of it , my goal of to be able to run 5k . And ideas or tips ,advice ?

Start off slow. Don't over do it. Try running a 1/2 mile and once you get that licked bump it up slowly to a mile. Then keep going. That first mile is the toughest for me once I hit that point it's like you get a second wind and you'll be running 3-5 miles before you know it.

Comment

I used it and it worked. I like the way it gradually builds up the schedule from more walking/less running to more running/less walking to just running.

Comment

Listen to music while you run. Get a little cadence going. Kinda takes your mind off the pain for me.

Comment

- good shoes
          - start by walking a lot
          - set realistic goals
          - find someone to train with
          - don't overdo it
          - headphones/music makes a big difference
          - do research and find a schedule that works for you

Good luck! I think running/jogging/walking is one of the best physical activities you can do for overall fitness. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Start small. Going too far right away WILL damage your legs. Start by jogging a couple minutes at a time and walking for a minute. Do that for 30 minutes. Each time increase the amount of jogging. Eventually you'll be able to do 30 minute jogs, which will be dang close to a 5k

Comment

Run on purpose??

Good for you sir! I should be so motivated.

Comment

What worked for me was to run for a length of time not distance. I started at a one minute run. Literally. Then two. Etc. last May I ran in a 5k at 375 pounds. I never walked a step. Took me 40 minutes but I made it. If I can do it anyone can.

Bud.

Comment

Lots of great advice so far that is worth repeating:

Start slow and build up slowly - you've got the rest of your life to do this so don't rush anything once you've started.

Good shoes from someone who can help you determine what you need - pay a little more at Luke's Locker, Run On, etc., for your first pair which you can replace in 6 months or so at Academy/Dicks/Runner's Warehouse/etc.

And, one that hasn't been mentioned though is implied in the "start slowly" recommendation is the reality that you aren't as young as you used to be, and, consequently, your body doesn't recover as quickly. Some level of pain is to be expected even if it didn't used to be that way. Don't let that get you down mentally.

All that said, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!!!! That is awesome and I would argue that you have already endured more pain in dieting than exercising will ever cause you if you pace yourself. Exercising is way easier than changing your diet so well done! Keep up the good work and enjoy the benefits!

Comment

I will start week 9 of couch to 5k tomorrow. It worked great for me. A little over a year ago I weighed 364. I weighed 275 last Thursday when I weighed. I made a lot of other changes too, but couch to 5k is awesome. Starts you out slow and builds you up. I will make my first 30 minute run tomorrow!!

Comment

What's chasing you

Comment

My advice would be to sign up for the Warrior Dash, they usually have them during the Spring. It's a 5k, but it's a fun 5k not all running, and if you need to stop and catch your breath, you'll have plenty of company. Then you drink beer and eat a turkey leg afterward. I've seen many people in worse shape than you are now having a blast with this race.

Comment

If you need a running partner let me know. I run a mile and a half all the time, every once in a while ill do a couple miles or a 5k just depending on how I feel. I know you're just starting but sometimes having someone with you to push you helps.

Comment

Doin long distant runnin is pointless, even for training for a 5k.

You need to do sprints. Sprints are the best workout you can do for gettin stronger and building up the best cardio you can.

If you need some workouts feel free to pm and I'll give you some.

Comment

take it slow.
                              Weekly schedule

Week 1 Walk 25 min. Run 5 min
                              Week 2 Walk 20 min Run 10
                              Week 3 Walk 15 min Run 15
                              Week 4 Walk 10 min run 20….and so on.

Traning for Elk hunting requires intense dedication!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X