Feeder pen height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pen height

What height panels are needed to keep farm goats out but let whitetail and axis in?

Thanks
    Last edited by Cuz; 02-24-2018, 12:55 AM.

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
    What height panels are needed to keep farm goats out but let deer in?

Thanks

I’d go 6 foot at a minimum to rustle the jimmies of the high fence anti hunters.

Or you could just kill all the goats[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

50” might stop a goat. I’d try finding another place to hunt. Goats compete directly with deer for native browse.

Comment

ttt

Comment

It shouldn't have to be higher than the perimeter and cross fences of the ranch. Deer cross them easily but the goats and sheep stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
            50” might stop a goat. I’d try finding another place to hunt. Goats compete directly with deer for native browse.
            Goats and deer....no bueno. I hunt a ranch that was formerly a goat ranch (with a lot of em from what I was told). Deer were practically non existent when they shut down the goat operation. 8 years later we're finally getting a decent herd but not as good as other low fence places around us.

Comment

I take the cattle panels and cut them down one level. They are cheaper than hog panels and I like the little extra height. Plus we have cows that will occasionally jump the shorter hog panels.

High deer pops here so they can co-exist fine. Our goats are really no problem if we have a feedpen on our place. If you don't you are on asking for more than a passerby visit. Occasionally they will come walk by a feedpen and run some deer off but they return when the goats are out of sight.
              Last edited by Smart; 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                I take the cattle panels and cut them down one level. They are cheaper than hog panels and I like the little extra height. Plus we have cows that will occasionally jump the shorter hog panels.

High deer pops here so they can co-exist fine. Our goats are really no problem if we have a feedpen on our place. If you don't you are on asking for more than a passerby visit. Occasionally they will come walk by a feedpen and run some deer off but they return when the goats are out of sight.
                Jason, do you know how tall the panels are after you cut them?

Same here, plenty of deer on the place, even with all the goats that are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuz View Post
                  Jason, do you know how tall the panels are after you cut them?

Same here, plenty of deer on the place, even with all the goats that are there.

Some are 50” and some are 48”. The first level is 6” so it depends. I like them at 42-44”...

and I have been known to cut a small section like half a panel to the third level which is taller than a cattle panel. I put that where my deer will jump in and land broadside at 15-20 yards..[emoji41]. The goats don’t pay it any attention. .

Comment

Some are 50” and some are 48”. The first level is 6” so it depends. I like them at 42-44”...

and I have been known to cut a small section like half a panel to the third level which is taller than a cattle panel. I put that where my deer will jump in and land broadside at 15-20 yards..[emoji41]. The goats don’t pay it any attention. .
                    Ten4. Thank you, sir.

Comment

Our goats will jump that with ease lol. Mine are 50”. I had some get in. Trying to figure out how.

Comment

Feeder pen height

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Our goats will jump that with ease lol. Mine are 50”. I had some get in. Trying to figure out how.

Overachievers. There is always exceptions

I’m on 10 seasons with no real issues. The only goat to ever jump in my pen was raised by a doe and that sucker acted just like a deer in 2008. It was the ****est thing seeing them together and act together. Pretty sure that one got shipped off to market[emoji23]

Other than that no issues. One pen has been a 42” goatwire pen for the entire time and never had a goat in it that I’ve ever seen on camera. Same with my buddy Nick.
                        Last edited by Smart; 02-24-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Overachievers. There is always exceptions

I’m on 10 seasons with no real issues. The only goat to ever jump in my pen was raised by a doe and that sucker acted just like a deer in 2008. It was the ****est thing seeing them together and act together. Pretty sure that one got shipped off to market[emoji23]

Other than that no issues. One pen has been a 42” goatwire pen for the entire time and never had a goat in it that I’ve ever seen on camera. Same with my buddy Nick.
                          Well. There IS a spotted fallow buck that lives with the goats. I’ve often wondered if he taught them. I think it’s almost time he catches a bullet

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Well. There IS a spotted fallow buck that lives with the goats. I’ve often wondered if he taught them. I think it’s almost time he catches a bullet

Yup lol.

I have a video on YouTube I believe of that doe and goat. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

Comment

I do something similar to what Smart has mentioned. I take it one step further an direction run a strand of barbed wire across the top of my pens. The goats on our place would belly slide over the top rung prior to the barbed wire idea. Since then, no problems with the goats in th feed pens.
                              Last edited by Aric; 02-24-2018, 08:31 PM. Reason: Mispelled word.

Comment

Working...
                              X