Hunting Colorado Private Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Colorado Private Land

Does anyone know what the laws are? I have always loved Colorado. Been going up there since I was a toddler. I have family members with land up there. I have been thinking about buying my own small piece. Probably looking at 10-30 acres with nothing on it. I'd build a super small cabin on it and that's it. What are the laws about hunting on it? Like what if a elk came through? Can a person buy OTC private land elk tags as a non resident to hunt their own property? Would this be any different for deer? Thanks!

I believe it depends on what game unit your land is in. Some are over the counter and some are by draw only

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
      I believe it depends on what game unit your land is in. Some are over the counter and some are by draw only
      Seems to be what I have seen online. That's kinda crazy that you have to enter a draw to hunt your property lol.

Comment

Search historical data on the unit (available on line), submit for draw and season, or you can apply for private landowner tags. Anything can vary by unit. Note CWD areas and specific laws.

Comment

There are lots of OTC elk units in Colorado where you could buy and hunt every year.

Mule deer tags are drawn only for the entire state....some units would take 20+ years to draw and a few units can be drawn very easily depending on season. Also you would need 160 contiguous acres to qualify for a private land owner tag for mule deer.

BrettC has a place up there so hopefully he will chime in.

Comment

If you are applying for an archery or muzzleloader tag, your tag success rate on deer and elk is much greater in every unit.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
              If you are applying for an archery or muzzleloader tag, your tag success rate on deer and elk is much greater in every unit.
              I would be. Thanks!

Comment

One other thing of importance if you plan to build on it and it's not in a co-op for utilities, you need 40 acres in order to put a self contained/self operated septic system and such in if it borders one of the national parks if it does not already have a system installed that can be grandfather'd in.

Comment

Working...
                X