No announcement yet.

Velvet Horn Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had one of these fellas a few years back. These pictures were taken 2 years prior to finding his skull in the pasture......with the turned down 2 just like in the picture. Seems once this guy injured it, the trait stuck with him. Does it an injury during velvet alter genetics?
    Attached Files

Comment

That's how DD gets its name. The other side is coming...

Comment

I had a buck break of one whole side last year he was 5.5 last year and the break got him a pass which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise so far based of his growth this year he should be an awesome deer

Comment

How do you know he injured it and it is not just growing like that? Do you have before and after pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            My experience is they usually fall off at the break or injury..
            this is my experience as well

Comment

cool pics

Comment

Update... looks like it just fell off
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  Well dang....

Comment

Well, since the deer is clearly not worth anything anymore, I can get rid of it for you if you need me to. Just let me know this fall...I will even do it free of charge!

Comment

I was hoping that it would just fall off, so nobody would kill him thinking it's a drop. I'm pretty sure this deer was actually a decent 10 point last year around 135 at 3 or 4 years old.
                      Now you have to worry about someone shooting him thinking he is a cull 7 point!

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                        Why correct horns vs antlers? Were you confused on what he was referencing? Of course not, so why even mention it?
                        Because I call things what they are. Would you call Lowes Home Depot? Would you call your dog a cat? Deer have antlers, not horns. Antlers are modified bone that are cast off each year, horns are modified hair that continually grow and are not shed with the exception of Pronghorn. Pretty simple.....

Comment

Working...
                        X