Favorite duck call and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relatively new to duck hunting and wanted to get the green screens options on duck calls. What's your favorite, when do you like to use it? Really any advice you could give a newbie would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time

Whistle- about the only one that works once every person that knows how to blow a high ball has done so over the thousand or so miles the ducks have flown.

Comment

If you are new to duck hunting leave all calls at home. Learn to put out decoys and sit with wind at back. Calling is the best way to come home with an empty strap

Comment

I agree with Glen. But my favorite call is an RNT Daisy Cutter.

Comment

Old Duck commander reacher. "Ol Raspy" very similar to it that they sell now. File that throat down and cut it down with a band saw and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            If you are new to duck hunting leave all calls at home. Learn to put out decoys and sit with wind at back. Calling is the best way to come home with an empty strap
            So when do you bust the calls out for the first time?

Comment

I go with my local guys, Echo & RNT. There are lots of different choices, even between those guys... but the key is being where ducks are. A lot of people think they can call ducks, most can't.

Comment

Sure shot 650

Comment

Folded beer tab.

Comment

Ive been duck hunting for years. I whistle once in a while at pintails and occasionally other times. Other than that I put out the blocks and if the ducks don't want to come into blocks I change the decoys around a little. Calls scare way more ducks than they kill. By the time they have made it to Texas they have heard plenty of calls. Kinda like Mojo decoys. If ducks flare take them down. They work great early and for teal but after that they seem to scare ducks.

Comment

I agree with Glen that most people do call too much. Its aggravating. but. There is some times you need a call. But you have to learn "when to call" learn to read ducks. if you don't know that. you should just not call. But to answer the question, I use RNT. short barrel most of the time. I do have an "original" too. and a whistle...

Comment

Reading birds and knowing when to call is the key. I've used them all in over a decade of guiding waterfowl hunts. I always go back to the sureshot 650. It's cheap, not fancy, but sounds real, and it's helped my customers literally 10k plus birds since 2004.
                        Last edited by LuBowhunter; 11-23-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I like the triple threat

Comment

My avian X decoys call for me...

Comment

Echo timber or RNT daisy cutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X