Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 5:30 in the morning, with only a bow for protection -
    I walked in on two sets of hogs.
    Once you get a little more experience around hogs, you'll realize they are not the threat that some want to make them. I laugh every time someone tells a "hog chased me" or "dangerous hog" story.

I've personally killed over 600 feral hogs, including quite a few with a bow. Most were on foot in thick brush and tall grass. Many at close range.

In all those hogs, I had a total of 2 even begin to charge me. And they were false charges by hogs I had already shot and wounded. I was going into dense brush to finish them off.

Dangerous hogs are like Yeti, Sasquatch and the tooth fairy. Some people actually believe they exist. Most, if not all, hog encounters that resulted in an injury were the result of someone cornering the hog and usually after it was injured.

But boy we can sure tell some good stories about "dangerous" wild hogs.

Comment

Who is braving the am showers? I think tomorrow after the rain breaks will be great. If I could hunt Sunday that looks even better.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderin39 View Post
        Jtap, I called TMobile earlier this year and was told nothing will help in the Sam. They do not sell anything to help.
        Maybe we should climb higher

Comment

Enjoy this one gents. It's a long one but a classic

P.s. I'm bored on the boat

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
            Once you get a little more experience around hogs, you'll realize they are not the threat that some want to make them. I laugh every time someone tells a "hog chased me" or "dangerous hog" story.

I've personally killed over 600 feral hogs, including quite a few with a bow. Most were on foot in thick brush and tall grass. Many at close range.

In all those hogs, I had a total of 2 even begin to charge me. And they were false charges by hogs I had already shot and wounded. I was going into dense brush to finish them off.

Dangerous hogs are like Yeti, Sasquatch and the tooth fairy. Some people actually believe they exist. Most, if not all, hog encounters that resulted in an injury were the result of someone cornering the hog and usually after it was injured.

But boy we can sure tell some good stories about "dangerous" wild hogs.

For now I will have to take your word for it, because I ain't chancing it.

Wind is coming out of the south again tomorrow, so I will head to the same spot. I will wait until it is closer to light, knock an arrow, and head in. I'd love to kill a hog, but don't want to walk amongst them at night. I could see a hand full out in front of me about 75yds, but once I coughed, one started grunting from the woods straight to my right. That sucker sounded like he was 500lbs. lol

Comment

Originally posted by cmh2007 View Post
              Enjoy this one gents. It's a long one but a classic

P.s. I'm bored on the boat

Stop the shenanigans!
              I swear to God the next person that says shenanigans, I will pistol whip.

Comment

Anyone hunt rubs? In the past they haven't been good daylight activity spots for me personally. Scrapes on the other hand have been good. A "signpost" is a rub that gets used every year, you can see last years scars in the tree, they mark a bucks homerange. Did you know that bucks travel from 1-5 miles from that homerange when the rut is on?

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                  Stop the shenanigans!
                  I swear to God the next person that says shenanigans, I will pistol whip.

Comment

I'm braving the rain in the morning!

Comment

Okay, I've kept quiet on this till now, because I no longer hunt big Sam...but good grief! Why can't guys quit asking questions that can be found by reading this very thread that they're asking questions on? Dang! Read the freaking thread! Quit being lazy and expecting everyone else to do your "scouting" for you

Sorry fellas...after the last 4-5 pages, it finally got to me

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Telling a guy to reread the entire thread is not an reasonable request any more. That was so like 2012!
                      I call BS on this. I've read the entire thread from start to finish, and I have ZERO intentions of hunting SHNF this year, and it's been 8-10 years since I have hunted SHNF. Why do I read it? Because I have a deep love for Big Sam, developed as a boy with my family, and a great respect for you guys who are dedicated public land hunters

So why should anyone who is new, and who DOES intend to hunt SHNF, be above reading the entire thread? Good grief, it's clearly evident that some of the new hunters are most definitely part of the current generation who expects everyone else to do all the work while they sit back, ask a few questions, and reap the reward. Screw that crap...besides, if you'll put in the time and do your part, most of these fellas will gladly help you out. But they, rightfully so, want to see you do your part before they'll offer up info that they have worked hard for

Disclaimer: I have yet to meet a single one of the hunters on this thread, so I'm not taking up for anyone. I would absolutely love to be able to make a lunch one day, just to meet most of the regular posters. Even tho I have zero intentions of hunting the forest. I just feel like most of these ol boys are great guys

Okay, carry on

Comment

I will be there hopefully deer will move between rain.

Comment

Originally posted by TxDispatcher View Post
                          Okay, I've kept quiet on this till now, because I no longer hunt big Sam...but good grief! Why can't guys quit asking questions that can be found by reading this very thread that they're asking questions on? Dang! Read the freaking thread! Quit being lazy and expecting everyone else to do your "scouting" for you

Sorry fellas...after the last 4-5 pages, it finally got to me

I call BS on this. I've read the entire thread from start to finish, and I have ZERO intentions of hunting SHNF this year, and it's been 8-10 years since I have hunted SHNF. Why do I read it? Because I have a deep love for Big Sam, developed as a boy with my family, and a great respect for you guys who are dedicated public land hunters

So why should anyone who is new, and who DOES intend to hunt SHNF, be above reading the entire thread? Good grief, it's clearly evident that some of the new hunters are most definitely part of the current generation who expects everyone else to do all the work while they sit back, ask a few questions, and reap the reward. Screw that crap...besides, if you'll put in the time and do your part, most of these fellas will gladly help you out. But they, rightfully so, want to see you do your part before they'll offer up info that they have worked hard for

Disclaimer: I have yet to meet a single one of the hunters on this thread, so I'm not taking up for anyone. I would absolutely love to be able to make a lunch one day, just to meet most of the regular posters. Even tho I have zero intentions of hunting the forest. I just feel like most of these ol boys are great guys

Okay, carry on
                          I'm always down for a get together.

Comment

I will be out in the rain in the morning. Strategies might be different, but I will be around.

Comment

So are we going to have a Big Buck Contest

Comment

So are we going to have a Big Buck Contest

Comment

Working...
                                X