Best 6.5 Creedmor Factory Ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a great deal on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmor. What factory loads are you getting best results from? Plan to use it as a deer/hog gun.

Search is your friend. There are MANY posts on the same topic.

Comment

I am going to go ahead and through it out there the capt obvious answer but each specific rifle and barrel are different. My RAP may like 143 ELD-X and yours may not. That being said I set up a RAP for a buddy and it shot 140 grain ammo the best and the Hornady 140 ELD-M was the best grouping. I took down a mule deer buck last year with my 6.5 CM at 200yds with the 140 ELD-M took out both shoulders and dropped him in his tracks. From what all I have read and seen the 140 grain stuff seems to have been the sweet spot for most 6.5 creedmoor rifles. As far as inexpensive soft point hunting ammo. I have put Federal Fusion through 3 different caliber rifles and it produced sub-moa groups in all 3 calibers. I went out to 500yds with the fusion in a 7mm mag and it was still moa or better.

What I do with a new rifle is I buy cheap stuff in every grain weight I can find and see which groups best at 100 yards. Then take the best 2 or 3 and start backing up 200 yards then 300 and see which shoots best. Then I get better ammo in which ever grain weight shot best.
      Last edited by DuramaxDude; 11-07-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Just realized that as I hit "submit. Shutting this one down.

Comment

Hornady

Comment

Hornday 140 grn or 147?

Comment

129 gr sst is a fine cartridge

Comment

I would suggest the Hornady precision hunter 143 ELD-X ammo. The 140 ELD-M is the target bullet that replaced the 140 grain AMAX target bullet. I've killed some deer/pigs with the AMAX bullets, but it was small hole in and out with no blood trail. I would stick with bullets designed for expansion.

With that said, I reload most of my ammo. With my 22" AR creed, the accuracy with the factory Hornady ammo is almost as good as my reloads. I've had great luck with the Hornady bullets(140 and 143gr) that I haven't tried anything else.

A thread on another forum using factory Hornady ammo with a Tikka rifle.
                So I get the rifle in from Whittakers a couple of days ago, and yesterday I went ahead and applied the Dyna Bore Coat treatment to it since I use it on all of my rifles. I let it cure overnight. Lightened the trigger a smidge, and mounted the SWFA SS 3-9x42 MQ in Tikka Warne's and headed ...

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                  I am going to go ahead and through it out there the capt obvious answer but each specific rifle and barrel are different. My RAP may like 143 ELD-X and yours may not. That being said I set up a RAP for a buddy and it shot 140 grain ammo the best and the Hornady 140 ELD-M was the best grouping. I took down a mule deer buck last year with my 6.5 CM at 200yds with the 140 ELD-M took out both shoulders and dropped him in his tracks. From what all I have read and seen the 140 grain stuff seems to have been the sweet spot for most 6.5 creedmoor rifles. As far as inexpensive soft point hunting ammo. I have put Federal Fusion through 3 different caliber rifles and it produced sub-moa groups in all 3 calibers. I went out to 500yds with the fusion in a 7mm mag and it was still moa or better.

What I do with a new rifle is I buy cheap stuff in every grain weight I can find and see which groups best at 100 yards. Then take the best 2 or 3 and start backing up 200 yards then 300 and see which shoots best. Then I get better ammo in which ever grain weight shot best.
                  No No DD say it aint so... ive been called an idiot for suggesting you can kill a deer with the ELD-M

Comment

Prime

Comment

Copper Creek & prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hornady Precision Hunter in 143 grain ELD-X

Comment

Originally posted by KC Huntin View Post
                          No No DD say it aint so... ive been called an idiot for suggesting you can kill a deer with the ELD-M

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...6#post12904766
                          lol Well to each their own regardless of how classless they care to act. Hunting bullets are hunting bullets and match bullets are match bullets this is true but to say one wont work for the other is ridiculous. They are both jacketed lead bullets. If I was hunting more than a whitetail 250 lb mulies elk etc.. I would probably plan on using the best hunting designed bullet my rifle could shoot well and by well I mean .5 moa at 100yds and under 1 moa after that I would even say close to .5 moa at 500yd I am just picky like that. In my opinion the thing that matters most is using the bullet/ammo that is the most accurate in your rifle. If the 143 ELD-X was only 1-1.5 moa out of my rifle but the 140 ELD-M was .3 moa all day everyday I might have to really think about that. I will not use FMJs to hunt with.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Good point and agreed

Is the only difference the ring that supposedly helps it mushroom better or is the jacket thicker on the X?

Comment

129 gr sst is a fine cartridge
                              My rifle loves this round and I've killed a lot of deer and hogs with it.

Very impressed with the bullet and load.

I need to see if mine likes the 143 grain ELD-X as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X