UAV for Scouting Hogs..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UAV for Scouting Hogs..

Okay some I'm really enjoying the DJI Mavic for scouting hogs this spring. The range of this machine is amazing, its size packs up really small for mobility, and I believe it runs quite a bit quieter the the phantom line.
    I have affectionatley named it "pork patrol"!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4217.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	25109884
    Yesterday we located a big herd that had been destroying a local cemetery plot and headed out to thin the herd, and put a nice sow down with my .338 win mag.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	25109878
    Short Video of clips from last night.

Sweet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Nice! I've been wanting a Mavic, but they're hard to find!

Comment

very cool!

Comment

Man, that's exactly what I want a drone for.

Comment

That's awesome. I have always thought they would be good for scouting.

Comment

Very, cool! But honestly I thought the video quality would be better, is there limitation due to the distance?

Comment

Yes video quality is low due to the fact that the footage is compressed from my iPhone through the DJI Go editor software, the actual footage recorded to the onboard camera is 4K which is super clear. I just slung these clips together quickly from the phone. As far as distance 4 miles of range with no loss of quality, although I've only sent sent mine 1.75 miles out.
                  Thanks

Comment

How easy is this drone to learn to fly and would you be comfortable enough with some practice to take it on a lake?

Comment

With a little practice they will almost fly themselves, youtube is your friend to learn all the features they have. I prefer to hand launch/catch machine so if you mean flying it out from a boat yes if its not moving in the waves too bad, if you mean flying from the shore over water no problem at all. Here is some better footage from our spring break out in far west Texas using a feature called active track in which it follows an object in our case a UTV through the turns and bends of some canyon country it is actually flying itself all I'm doing is monitoring its position as we go.
                      Video Link
                      Last edited by coachwhip; 03-24-2017, 08:20 AM. Reason: bad link

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                        With a little practice they will almost fly themselves, youtube is your friend to learn all the features they have. I prefer to hand launch/catch machine so if you mean flying it out from a boat yes if its not moving in the waves too bad, if you mean flying from the shore over water no problem at all. Here is some better footage from our spring break out in far west Texas using a feature called active track in which it follows an object in our case a UTV through the turns and bends of some canyon country it is actually flying itself all I'm doing is monitoring its position as we go.
                        Video Link
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xB-qTs0jr0

Thanks!!

Comment

Very nice drone, but that ranch is incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                            Nice! I've been wanting a Mavic, but they're hard to find!
                            They ship in 1-3 days from the dji website.

Quality-wise the video is unbelievable. 4K is OVERKILL and most computer monitors and/or TVs can't even handle it. 1080 looks amazing even on 60" TVs. If you're on a 22-24" monitor even 720 looks decent. 720 looks crystal clear on a tablet or mobile device screen, which is how most people watch anyway. 720 is editable and uploadable straight from your phone to YouTube, which is a big benefit. To edit and render in 1080 or 4k you need to be on a computer in something like FinaCut or some other video editing software.
                            Here's an example of 720 that I shot with a Mavic and edited back at the room in 30 minutes on my iPhone on a trip my wife and I took last weekend:
                            link

**I can't figure out how to embed videos like people do... so the link will have to do.
                            Last edited by meltingfeather; 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Spectacular footage Meltingfeather, California coast? Have you figured out how to put photos in with video clips on the DJI Go Editor? I don't think its possible yet, but so needs to be an option in my opinion...
                              Great work

Comment

Working...
                              X