• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      I have heard that Mountain Lion and bobcat tastes very good... so you just never know and can't make too many assumptions. I'd like to kill and Aoudad and find out for myself...

I’m with you on the Aoudad! I have also heard mountain lion backstraps make a great chicken fried steak. I never heard of anyone eating bobcat.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
        Thanks folks! Trying to set up a hunt and those animals I posted are on the "available to hit" list. I wanted to make sure I fling an arrow at something that we'll enjoy eating.

Richard.
        The best bang for your buck will be an axis doe.

The meat is good and almost universally liked. There will be more meat on her. Her tanned hide will be an amazing trophy that will provide great decoration and memories. (Look up North Texas Tanmery)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          No doubt, axis is best, then fallow.

Aoudad is a sheep, and as such, is nasty!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Agreed! However, the sheep species that make up the Grand slam are awesome. The Dall sheep I killed in the NWT was some of the best game meat I have ever eaten. No knife needed.

Comment

Audad=goat=not good

Comment

For the money, Id stick to Axis. If you are going to shoot a buck, a mature Axis will weigh more than a Fallow and 3 times the size of a mature black buck. Axis is great table fare. Now if you want a Fallow, the fallow would be second on the list. Fallows make beautiful mounts too and taste good as well.

If you want an Aoudad though, I would take it as well. A lot of people talk bad about goats/Rams. I haven't had one we didn't enjoy. You can't just take it and throw it on the grill. Ram has to be cooked in a stew, soup, curry, Barbacoa, birria.

We went to Thompson Temple with some friends and they each shot a Ram. Thompson Asked if we wanted more meat since a large percentage of the hunters leave it behind. I think we hauled back 7 frozen rams that no one else wanted. It was all we could fit in the coolers if not we probably would've brought more back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cazador View Post
                Axis, Blackbuck, then Fallow, I can't comment on Audad because I've never had any. And for a reference to my opinion Whitetail on average falls between Blackbuck and Fallow. I say on average because I shot a yearling doe once that would rival any Axis I've ever had!

If you are talking steaks. Axis. Don't even think about it anymore.

You don't want an Aoudad steak lol.

Comment

Once again the neglected javalina fails to make it to the list!

Comment

Which one tastes better? Axis, Fallow, Aoudad or Blackbuck

I ain’t never been that hungry.

Comment

I shot my first axis last summer. Aged 7 days and it’s the toughest deer i’ve ever had. Taste wise it’s great.

Comment

In order, axis, fallow, blackbuck and if I had to eat it aoudad.

Comment

Someone in my family tried to bake some Mouflon , I believe, in the oven and stunk everybody out of the house. Sika is my favorite.

Comment

This aoudad was so disgusting, it took all I had to scarf down a second bowl
                            Attached Files

Comment

Axis...

Comment

...adding Red stag to the choice

I think axis it the best of exotics...so far! I have the opportunity to take a red stag hind. How does it compare to axis or fallow?

Comment

Working...
                                X