No announcement yet.

Indian artifact excavation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have been following my dig you know I discovered a paleo era spring a couple days ago. Well yesterday and today i worked on getting the 8ft of lodge dirt off the top of it to expose the actual dug out portion. Well it was super slow going since i was sifting all the dirt. The top 3ft had archaic points and the next three or four foot had NOTHING! then a smattering of old stuff shows up.

I dug quite a bit of the pond right to the top of the dam and where the dirt started getting wet. Today I learned that the clay dam is "C" shaped. I didnt dig any inside the pond as i wanted to get the thgick layers out of the way before I started digging the sloppy stuff. The dug out is about 14ft across and so far about 20ft long although thats as far as i have gotten but it appears the dam is playing out. They had quite a pool! I know there is paleo stuff in it and plan to dig it within a few days.

A couple days ago i found Paleo items at the first spot i hit the dam and today was no exception. Here are some items that came right off the clay dam as i exposed it. these were all found 8ft plus deep.

I hope the paralell flaking shows on the big blade. It also has a clear median ridge with grinding about an inch up the sides.
    Attached Files

Comment

more..In the pic withe twin axtells, Foteef found the lighter one right there ten years ago. Bet the same guy made em!
      Attached Files

Comment

Just incredible. Thanks for sharing all of this.

Comment

When you look at these it really makes you wonder how hard it was back then to find food and survive. I see why they used every piece of each animal after looking at all of these pictures.

Comment

nice

Comment

That plainvew is beautiful! Looks like its been resharpened a few times. How old is the blade?

Comment

One more question, where did you find your peanut sifter and how much do they go for?

Comment

Originally posted by COPPERHEAD View Post
                  One more question, where did you find your peanut sifter and how much do they go for?

HA! It bears little resemblence to the peanut combine it was years ago.

There is some debate as to what those blades are. If thats a Plainview, and i think you are right, its about 10,000 years old. It may actually be an older type.

Comment

This dig gets better all the time. The artifacts you are finding are incredible. I really appreciate you taking us along. This thread is the first thing I check every AM

Comment

Dug almost all day today.Still digging lodge dirt and made it past the spring. I did find a few points way deep. Found this Axtel and this other base thinned point sitting right on the clay. Maybe a Wilson? not sure.

Found several nice points.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Stevie I will shake your hand one day my friend. You have brought me back to my youth. My pop took me on my first arrowhead hunt when I was in grade school . I remember my pop paying the landowner $5 so we could search for arrows. That memory burns deep within me today. I found my first arrow that day 40 years ago. I bet your pop did the same for you. I get a big kick out of your pop running the sifter. I would love to meet him some day. Keep em coming my friend.

Comment

I would love to shake your hand. Glad you enjoy my thread. it seems that you and copperhead are about the only members that follow closely now. I guess folks are loosing interest since the deer have antlers again.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            I would love to shake your hand. Glad you enjoy my thread. it seems that you and copperhead are about the only members that follow closely now. I guess folks are loosing interest since the deer have antlers again.
                            No, Sir! Never lost interest - been following every single post since the beginning and enjoying the heck out of it! Thanks for continuing to contribute to this awesome thread, GarGuy!

Comment

I follow this thread every day, just don't post. Saving server space for all your great photos! My Dad and I used to surface hunt for them back when I was little.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                I check it as often as I can, but really don't know what to contribute.

Comment

Working...
                                X