Deer lease Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff View Post
    I don’t think prices have even kept up with inflation.
    I just got back on a lease in Marion county that I was on in 1976.
    In 1976 it cost me $110.00 a year.
    Same lease now cost me $1,000.00

In 1976 is was making $2.50 an hour.
    It was a lot harder to come up with $110.00 back then than it is to come up with $1,000.00 now.

As far as land owners go....
    I don’t own any land any more but if you owned say 500 acres, what would you charge to sell your hunting rights to a place that belonged to you?
    Using the CPI inflation calculator, $110 in 1976 is equivalent to $492 today. So your lease price has more than doubled the rate of inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      If all you are worried about is killing then sure. But a lease is a year long deal for us... we enjoy the work and camaraderie as much as the hunting. The whole experience is what most of us pay for including and dang near as important the camplife. No we don’t hunt every weekend. That’s a crazy parameter to put on it, but we do hunt at least two 3 day weekends a month during season plus two-three 4 days weekends during turkey season. The sweat equity followed by success and good memories with family and friends is just as enjoyable as the actual hunting. Day hunting, while it has its place for some, just doesn’t carry the same experience for me.... right now anyway. I’d miss the work and camplife.
      Exactly! The management and hunting year around

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
        Not sure that I could really afford the 50 acres...but i did it. In 25 years, I would have paid half of the original value in what would have been lease payments. In the past 5 years, the value of my place actually doubled. I’ve already made money. My land is my 401k that I can actually enjoy and play with.

The funny part is that since I own the land, I’m more interested in improving it than hunting it. It’s weird.
        I thought you couldn't use land/real estate owned by your 401(k)? I looked at this several years go and there were tons of restrictions so as not to be "self dealing."

Comment

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
          I thought you couldn't use land/real estate owned by your 401(k)? I looked at this several years go and there were tons of restrictions so as not to be "self dealing."
          I view my land the same as my 401k...an investment. The land is not in my 401k, it’s part of my investment plan. Make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
            I view my land the same as my 401k...an investment. The land is not in my 401k, it’s part of my investment plan. Make sense?
            Gotcha, I misread it as being in your 401k. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

I have access to 9000 acres in the best deer country in not only Texas but maybe the anywhere. Incredible genetics and deer along with all that South Texas has - varmits, fishing, birds, and on and on. I owned 600 acres - loved it but it cost WAY MORE than the best lease you can find.

A ranch owner of an incredible piece of land who is willing to let me come on it year round and use it like it was mine????? Priceless

Comment

And you have Deer Farming selling Pedigree deer enhancing Natures deer herd. They are not cheap so they have to make it up somewhere. One maybe two 140 plus deer in a persons lifetime isn't good enough anymore you have to get at least one every year.
                So keep paying they big fees there are no deer on Public land don't even consider it don't waste you time Please.

Comment

$10-$30/acre for land that is worth $1500-$7500/acre is actually not that expensive. Lease prices have gone up with land prices but are still a small fraction of what the land is worth. Our lease payment wouldn't make one monthly payment on the loan it would take to buy the land. We're blessed and thankful to have it.

Comment

I have a cousin that has 250 acres just north of Abilene east of. Noodle with good deer. 120-140 class. They are wanting around $1400 Ana acre for it. It has two stands on it now from the neighbors but those would be gone with the purchase and there are no others hunting around that

That's what I would buy, I own land 5 miles from this and have a nice crop of deer and animals

Comment

Working...
                    X