No announcement yet.

Seating Depth Accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn’t worry about 0.001. Also, when I started shooting VLD style bullets I had more variation than that with RCBS dies. I switched to Forster and they are accurate every time. Quality dies do make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
      Length sort your bullets.

That will cure a lot of the ills you are experiencing. You will need a length sorting tool but it is worth its weight in gold if you are extremely particular (and, you are). The differences in bullet lengths as measured to the ogive can vary widely depending on manufacturer. Some far more than others.

In a 500 count box of SMKs, I can expect a extreme spread of usually, no more than 3.5 thousandths. 98% of those being within 2 thousandths. Hornady....not so much. It's not uncommon to see 7 or 8 thousandths ES in a box of 100. I dont shoot Berger but the ones I have checked have been of high quality.

It's also helpful when you find a 168 grain pill in a box of 178s. Thank you Hornady. Length sorting will make your loads more accurate, especially at long range.

Going to the Redding dies will be a life altering experience. If that is what a drug induced euphoria is like, I know why people become addicted. I highly recommend them. Your inconsistency will plummet to nearly immeasurable numbers.

Which Redding Die set do you recommend? I am looking at the Premium Series 3 Die Set with Seating Micrometer or the Type S 2 Die set.

Also do you know if the included micrometer works with VLD bullets or would I have to buy a different seating stem for it?

Comment

Originally posted by jstanton View Post
        Which Redding Die set do you recommend? I am looking at the Premium Series 3 Die Set with Seating Micrometer or the Type S 2 Die set.

Also do you know if the included micrometer works with VLD bullets or would I have to buy a different seating stem for it?

The set you described is all I use. I'm sorry, I don't know about the stem but a quick call to Redding should get your answer. When I have called, they've been more than courteous.

Comment

I did use a comparator and tried to apply even pressure every time I measured a round but I would still get the +/-.001" variance listed above.

You can get .001 variance in jacket thickness. Don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use the Redding 3 die competition set.

You will have to buy the VLD stem separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I use the Redding 3 die competition set.

You will have to buy the VLD stem separately.

Same here. Worth the money

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
              X