Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy scouts

well they had a pretty good run...

The Boy Scouts of America have announced a name change for its flagship program — known simply as Boy Scouts for over 100 years — as girls are set to join them,  The Associated Press reported Wednesday. The new name? Scouts BSA, the outlet said. The name change will take effect next February, the AP...

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
    I'm so glad my family drug-up on the scouts last year! Sad to see a once great organization cater to the minority pc crowd. Adios.

Comment

yet... "Girl" Scouts will remain, GIRL scouts.

liberalism is a mental disorder

Comment

I am a current Asst. Scoutmaster for my son's troop. I have seen all the BSA information. I can tell you that nothing significant will be changing. There will not be integrated programing.

BSA is creating a girls program with in it's current structure for girls between 11 and 14. BSA has had girls in it's explorers/venture crews for 14-21 year olds since they started. That is a much smaller part of BSA and so doesn't get as much attention.

The bottom line is there will be a choice given to the troop leadership and the charter organization as to whether or not the troop wants to run a girls program. That girls program will run separate to the boys program. In reality while a troop might have both a girls and boys program and they will both wear the same troop number they won't do anything at the same time or same place.

The reality of this is that each girts program will have to have a separate set of adult leadership to make it run as they won't be allowed to camp at the same locations as the boys programs. That means twice the adults for camping weekends. It hasn't been stated yet but troops may even have to run separate troop meetings to support both programs.

My son's troop has a very active set of adults supporting it and our last recharter had as many adult scouters as boys. We don't have the number of adults to make a dual program run properly. I think this will work in specific unique situations but don't expect it to be the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
          I am a current Asst. Scoutmaster for my son's troop. I have seen all the BSA information. I can tell you that nothing significant will be changing. There will not be integrated programing.

BSA is creating a girls program with in it's current structure for girls between 11 and 14. BSA has had girls in it's explorers/venture crews for 14-21 year olds since they started. That is a much smaller part of BSA and so doesn't get as much attention.

The bottom line is there will be a choice given to the troop leadership and the charter organization as to whether or not the troop wants to run a girls program. That girls program will run separate to the boys program. In reality while a troop might have both a girls and boys program and they will both wear the same troop number they won't do anything at the same time or same place.

The reality of this is that each girts program will have to have a separate set of adult leadership to make it run as they won't be allowed to camp at the same locations as the boys programs. That means twice the adults for camping weekends. It hasn't been stated yet but troops may even have to run separate troop meetings to support both programs.

My son's troop has a very active set of adults supporting it and our last recharter had as many adult scouters as boys. We don't have the number of adults to make a dual program run properly. I think this will work in specific unique situations but don't expect it to be the norm.
          So why not just keep it the way it's always been?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
            So why not just keep it the way it's always been?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            That's a good question and I think one that has multiple answers.

I think part of BSA's statement is true that they want to fill a gap in 11-14 year old girls programing that Girl Scouts doesn't offer. I know my daughter and wife left Girl Scouts because my daughter wanted to do more outdoors oriented things.

The cynic in me thinks that it has to do with increasing numbers.

Bottom line I think Scouts has a good model for kids and bringing girls into a parallel program just opens that model up to more kids.

Comment

I think part of BSA's statement is true that they want to fill a gap in 11-14 year old girls programing that Girl Scouts doesn't offer. I know my daughter and wife left Girl Scouts because my daughter wanted to do more outdoors oriented things.
              Don't really have a dog in this fight, but curious what the "gap" is in GSA? My wife took two troops from K-12. Both troops ended with more girls than they started with. If there's a gap, I'd think it was created by leadership, or lack of.

Comment

Trail Life USA is a Christ-centered, boy-focused mentoring program that engages boys in service & outdoor adventure to develop godly & courageous leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecrow View Post
                  Don't really have a dog in this fight, but curious what the "gap" is in GSA? My wife took two troops from K-12. Both troops ended with more girls than they started with. If there's a gap, I'd think it was created by leadership, or lack of.
                  No doubt leadership is a huge issue for both organizations. They are both very different organizations as well. GSA is varies a lot from troop to troop on what will happen where as BSA is much more structured. From my experience my daughter was disappointing that she wasn't doing the things she was watching her bother do. She wanted to go camping and be out doors and the girl scout troops in our area that were accepting members weren't doing that.

Comment

So Boy Scouts changes their name but Girl Scouts keesp theirs, am I hearing this correctly ??

If so both loose my support.

Comment

No doubt leadership is a huge issue for both organizations. They are both very different organizations as well. GSA is varies a lot from troop to troop on what will happen where as BSA is much more structured. From my experience my daughter was disappointing that she wasn't doing the things she was watching her bother do. She wanted to go camping and be out doors and the girl scout troops in our area that were accepting members weren't doing that.
                      Thanks for providing some levity to the subject. Sounds like functionally nothing changes, just the addition of a girls based program, with different leaders.

I also think you are right on the "increase the numbers" issue. And group who excludes 51% of the population limits themselves right off the bat.

Comment

Money grab, membership drive.

Comment

If the Girl Scouts had a program worth a crap they wouldn't need to join Boy Scouts..

My son learns how to use a knife and build a fire and my daughter colors pictures, plays tag, and sells cookies.. It's a total joke.. I'm sure it varies by troop/location/leaders, but we have a poor program here.. My daughter doesn't even have a uniform and she's been in it a couple years now..

They're starting a new Boy Scout troop in my area for girls, no boys allowed.. So it will pretty much be like Girl Scouts but they'll actually do things like camp, be outdoors, and earn badges.. She wants to join badly and I'm all for it..

Comment

David- Thank you for guiding those young men into adulthood. Scouts was the only way I got into the camping world as a kid and pushed me into the outdoors. I will be forever grateful to my Scout leader. Thank you Mr. Batson.

Comment

Dave:
                              So, separate troops, just sharing a troop number -- like Troop 123B and Troop 123G? Separate meetings, separate campouts, etc.?

Girls will just be able to learn the skills, earn the badges, experience leadership, do the activities -- with other girls -- that the BSA programs have historically run for boys? That about it?

Guess I can live with that. BTW, my son and I are both Eagle Scouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X